• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Music

• Thread starter Deleted member 21878
  • Start date

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Re: music

Speaking of hearing aids, I find that I need to shut them off when I'm driving with the top down because the wind causes my ears to flap and create a racket with the hearing aids. Anyone have a suggestion short of a Van Gogh procedure??

Go to the UK and get you a "Mobility " RIC BTE Mini aid and your problem will be solved..

They are not sold in the US to the best of my knowledge.:cool:

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Back in the early 80s (?), there were ads for a 'scarf' that had a speaker in each end such that you would wear it around the back of your neck with the 'speaker' ends resting on your chest, just below the collarbones. The ads advised that you could listen to music while skiing, driving, etc., and pick up the lower notes through your chest/whatever. Wish I'd bought one! Doug (PS: and I do enjoy the combination of content and humour/reality here.)

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

You know there is a dial on the radio that allows you to listen to different music?

I think they got some switches on the radio that will do it too Greg-------:highly_amused:

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag

The irony here in Washington is we are not allowed to wear headphones but motorcyclists are allowed have speakers inside their helmets - go figure.

For the last 20 years or so I have used over the ear headphones in the Healey, now with and Ipod but started with a Walkman. I never knew or even thought to ask if it was allowed until about 5 years ago someone pointed out the law.
In all that time, travelling in Washington, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, California, British Columbia and Alberta as well as a trip across the country to Wisconsin I have never been stopped by a cop and most of my driving is with the top down so I am very visible.
I have concluded that no one really cares, I hope. I haven't checked recently but it used to be that deaf people could drive, so why should headphones be a problem...
Dave

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag

I wonder how the laws will change with self-driving cars. Will people be permitted to watch TV/Video when the car is moving/driving itself?

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag

I haven't checked recently but it used to be that deaf people could drive, so why should headphones be a problem...
And drive thru ATMs have braille.

Jim 58 BN6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

And drive thru ATMs have braille.

The braille on the drive-up ATMs always drove me nuts. About 10 years ago, I was behind a minivan in the ATM line. A nun was driving, and when it was her turn, she stopped, opened the side door, and helped three blind ladies out so they could use the ATM. I guess I shouldn't be so cynical...

Jim

OP
D

Deleted member 21878

a little follow up on this project.

i had ordered a power inverter for USB charging from Amazon. cost was less than 6 bucks all in. took a ride the other day with the speaker i have on the shelf. for most songs at 50-60 mph, i could hear them pretty well. so decided this is where i would mount my inverter. i can always run a cord to move a speaker where necc but this also made it an easy spot to charge my phone.

few pics. one is the inverter and one is it mounted. the last is the speaker plugged in. i wired this to my sub-fuse panel and put it on a 5 amp fuse.

IMG_2422.jpgIMG_2424.jpgIMG_2426.jpg

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Back in the ?early 80s?, there was an outfit that sold a 'scarf' with a speaker in each end such that you would flop the 'scarf' around your neck with the ends over your collarbones and 'feel' the music. Anyone else remember these ads? They were targeting skiers et al, and I've always regretted not ordering one.
I just did a search on the magic web with the title 'scarf speakers' and found a neck-tube on Amazon that might also fill the bill (so to speak) for less than twenty bucks. And Bose has something they call 'SoundWear' for a factor of 15 times the price as well.
On other issues: I hadn't thought about enlisting diLithium crystals to provide power to any system, as well as some of the previous advisdments. But it does look like we have options; I would just prefer someone else to spend the money and tell us the good, the bad, and the ugly. Later, Doug

Jim 58 BN6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I believe the scarf you are referring to was the "Bone Fone" I think it only lasted about a year due to the introduction of the Sony Walkman. A coworker bought one and let me try it - it wasn't terrible.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Before I got the Com-Dex setup that interfaces with my hearing aids I used the a set of LG wireless headphones. They are loud enough to give good music over the exhaust but they are illegal in many states as we have already discussed.

https://www.lg.com/us/bluetooth-headsets-headphones

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Yes, the bone phone, here you go https://www.retrothing.com/2006/01/the_bone_fone_r.html I remember the ads back in the day.

Funny thing is when I googled it I got all sorts of modern equipment, though the latest go next to the bones in the skull/ear.

In my 100 I put a stereo on the parcel shelf and speakers on the floor behind the seats. No holes or permanent anything to the interior, worked alright, but you need a bit of an amp to be able to hear anything well at any appreciable speed.

mgtf328

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Never been one to shy away from an engineering challenge. If your ears are too sensitive for the clips on the Lid Latch you might consider getting a couple of ear piercing's. You could fit a couple of spring washers thru the holes and attached the clips to them.
AJ