• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MG Music

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
No I am not talking about the sweet sound of a finely tuned B series motor, but actual songs about MGs, while I was at a car show last summer there was a CD with popular tunes re-worded to have lyrics related to MG ownership--rust, electrical issues, babe magnet, etc. all the usual stuff, am I smoking wacky weed?, and more importantly if there is such a thing where can I get it?

bill_young

Jedi Warrior
Greg, just to share this with the others, I think you're refering to an album we played at the KC All British a couple of times. It was supplied by one of the participants but I think it was the album linked here by "Spinal Tappets" a group of Triumph enthusiasts from the Chicago area. This is what Steve found online
https://snic-braaapp.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=2

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks for your help both online and offline Bill, my friend who was there with me had his son enlisted to help with the DJ/EMCEE duties, and we all seem to recall some MG specific songs and indeeed and MG CD, still could be wrong, maybe it was all Triumph, we are looking for music for our Holiday Party,, last year "TR Man" sung to the tune of "Nowhere Man" by the Beetles, was a big hit, and we want to give the MG guys their due if possible.

Greg

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
OK, I am googling in addition to relying on the collective knowledge of the group, of interest to Brit car trivia buffs--this entry in the Wiki about Booker T. and the MGs (whose hit, Green Onions is great garage and or drving music by the way):

"The exact origin of the band's name is a matter of dispute. Booker T. Jones has stated that it was Jackson who named the group after its youngest member. "M.G." is supposed by many to refer to "Memphis Group," not the sports car of the same name.[6] However, musician and record producer Chips Moman, who was active in Stax Records when the band was formed, claims that they were named after his car, and that it was only after he left the label that Stax's publicity department declared that "M.G." stood for "Memphis Group". To lend some credibility to this story, Moman had played with Booker T. Jones in an earlier Stax backing group named the Triumphs, also after his car.[7] Steve Cropper has also endorsed this explanation."

MG and Triumph references--cool!

WA1KWA

Jedi Trainee
An excerpt frpm the liner Notes of 'The Very Best of Booker T. & the MG'S' Rhino R271738:

"Al Jackson suggested 'Booker T. & the MG'S' MG'S came from the make of Chips Morman's car".

Morman was a producer/enginner at Stax records.

Colin

WA1KWA

Jedi Trainee
Also, 'MGB GT' by Peter Tork. Yes, Peter Tork of Monkees fame, but there's more to him than that.

Colin

Steve_S

Yoda
The Peter Tork song is the same one I referred to above. I called them the Monkeys because three of the band members were involved in performing the song. It's possible it was a solo endeavor I suppose.

Country flag