• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lost out on Bugeye

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
W,

Actually, that entry was posted in jest and intended as a joke for Jeff.

The cute thing has actually become a joke with our friends and neighbors. When we first got the car, everyone said "oh how cute" and I started the it's not cute, jack russell terrior thing. Now I can't take it out of the garage without someone yelling "oh, how cute" from across the street, a passing car or something.

OP
M

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
Back in the game and I am smiling from ear to ear. It the same feeling as losing your dog then the dog coming home. Three people involved with this sell and one is real flaky, they control title. but right now it is a deal and I have gone back to cleaning out a spot in my shop for it. It should take about 60 days max to get title. best thing about it now is they have given me permission to get vehicle so I can have in my hands at my house. going to that real soon. when I do, I will post photos. I have only seen the vehicle half uncovered under a tarp for about 30 seconds so far. Thanks for all the information tho.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
SUPER! Possession is 9/10ths they say, so if $$ changes hands and you've got the car, I'd feel pretty good all other obstacles can be cleared.

GeeBee1

Jedi Knight
I would hold some of the cash until you get the title.

Pat

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
That'd be a good idea. Maybe think of it as the car being worth so much, and the title for it the balance. Not that I'm a lawyer or anything but as little as $1 changing hands constitutes a contract and if they accept some money you'd be all set, especially if you have the car.

GeeBee1

Jedi Knight
Yes, I have done that for titles and keys in the past.

I never got either from the sellers after the initial exchange.

Pat

OP
M

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
Oh yea been down that road before, half now,half with title delivery. Plus once it gets to my house a "storage lein" starts just in case no title shows up.

Now can some one tell me how long and wide a bug eye is so I can move enough stuff out of the way so the car will fit on Jack stands, just kidding I will look up deminsions on the WWW

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
It should be just under 11 feet long and 4 feet 5 inches wide (not including mirrors.

OP
M

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
Well I have a spot in my shop ready for delivery tomorrow of Bugeye, The shop where Bugeye is located is a couple of towns over so call the shop Tuesday and told them of my plans to pick-up thursday, to pull in there shop and see if it will crank (been sitting for some time) and get in the air to make rust inspection before I passed any money. they put on a used starter and carb shafts were frozen, but mechanic said it started so fast it caught him by surprise. Mechanic said frame was realy in pretty good condition that only place he saw rust was floor pans. The fellow who holds title to car tried to raise price another $500.00 Monday. We told him to suck eggs cause car had already been paid for.

I am still really excited about getting this car and will be loading on the trailer at 2pm tomorrow. Hope to get some photos to share with all of you.

first time I have purchased a car with out an inspection I don't even know what year it is.

M

Mike

Mightymidget:

If you're looking for an easier and faster way to obtain a title you may want try this. I obtained a title from International Title Company (https://www.its-titles.com) in 10 working days. The seller was a classic car collector/trader and has used them several times. All he did was fill out the application form from the company and I received a bill of sale and out of state title and registration in my name. I then took it to the DMV and register the car here in Texas.
Mike

OP
M

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
good information but the title is in process now, and the car will be garage queen for quite a while, no fun funds available now

OP
M

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
Well I did get the bug eye today..turns out to be a 1958 model. the Mechanic was correct about rust. I was really surprise on the amount found since it sat outside under a plastic tarp for a year or so. I feel like I have a decent foundation to start from. I did see a lot of bondo cracks on right rear, but I was told of car hitting a oak tree at one time in the past.

Loaded it up on trailer took it home and now is sitting in my garage......out of the weather.

I took some photos but will not be able to load them up until later, hopefully some of you can tell me after looking at photos of some trouble spots that may need special attention that aren't so obivous to a rookie bug eye owner

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Mightymidget
Where in SC are you located? I'm in Spartanburg. No Spridgets yet, just two Spitfires. I've had my eye on a local Midget for a couple of years sitting under a shed.

There has been a BE for sale on our car club website for quite some time www.SBMOC.com

This may have been a car I looked at years ago. It need a LOT of work.

OP
M

mightymidget

Jedi Knight

I love this car..........I know needs alot of TLC....but I cann't wait until I start making money again so I can plot and plan. it has some rust but most of it is managable at this point, rt rear quarter/trunk is worst area, next post will show shot from inside trunk

OP
M

mightymidget

Jedi Knight

this is where the rust bug went berserk..but this and another area at very front of floor board on passenger side are the biggest areas of rust I have found

OP
M

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
billspit said:
Mightymidget
Where in SC are you located? I'm in Spartanburg. No Spridgets yet, just two Spitfires. I've had my eye on a local Midget for a couple of years sitting under a shed.

There has been a BE for sale on our car club website for quite some time www.SBMOC.com

This may have been a car I looked at years ago. It need a LOT of work.
I am near Florence, checked out you website, looks like a nice place

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
That's funny. I lived in FLorence 1977-1981. We started a car club way back then, but it died out. When I left Florence, it was dying. Recent trips back there for work have shown the town has done well.