• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I think I've lost it

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
If I dont find anything wrong with the car this evening some one please commit me before noon tomarrow.

map1.jpg

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've done that drive in an MGB - have fun....

hardinmont.JPG

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol:

Go fer it, Stew!!! Enjoy.

OP
Stewart

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
Wohoo made it to kalispell mt. Weathers been great and the top has not been on the car since I left. The car has been running fantastic other than a minor hart attack causing moment coming into butte when the engine sputtered and died then would come back to life briefly with no power then back to nothing and repeat. Got lucky and coasted off the interstate and limped into a gas station. At this point I had 1/4 of a tank via the guage and by the milage driven.

Opened up the cap and WOOOSH so I guess I've got some work to do on the gas tank venting. Put 8 gallons in and the car runs like a top once again. I guess the low tank and the 1k foot decent into butte put it over the edge.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Good going, Stewart...bye rhe way..which B?

OP
Stewart

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
Took the 73. Glacier NP is pretty dang impressive and I will be heading back there when the crowds are not as crazy. Just about impossible to find a place to park even a B.

Only seen 2 lbc this trip. One spitfire heading east on 90 and then a rb B on the going to the sun road. Couldn't belive he didn't have the top down as the views are just insane without the top. Even with the stray rain shower.

I have yet to put up the top and I think I'm either very close or past the 2k mile point on this trip.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Is that with the new OD?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
YEE-HAW!!

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Used to live right outside of GNP. The crowds are always nuts there. Will be snowed in by the middle of next month. But yer right it is nice. Take the Walk of the Cedars and do the climb to Avalanche Lake. Well worth the trex.

OP
Stewart

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
Things I've learned today

Hail really really hurts when you dont have the top up.

Tourists are really really stupid. OMG theres an elk 5 miles up the medow we all must stop in the middle of the road and stare.

Fly swatters can make a handy muffler retaining device.

Yellowstone is rather brutal to low slung cars.

Almost forgot it was 2 years ago yesterday that I draged and I do mean draged this car out of colorado.

Attachments

• 18361.jpg
    18361.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 147

GTsRFine

Jedi Hopeful
I followed your posts and the other comments with interest. My son and I are leaving from South Carolina this weekend for a two week drive to Glacier Nat'l Park and then south down the Rockies to Colorado.
Got any tips or hints?

Edit - we will be in a white 74 MGBGT.

D

Deleted member 8987

I have never seen roads as bad as those around Glacier.

Many years ago, drove out to a streetrod meet in Kalispell, then into Glacier, over the top, out the back, around, and back over the pass.

Broke a front sway bar link (ripped it clean out), BADLY chipped a windshield, chipped paint on nose, but, hey, that's the cost of doing business!

Apparently, Montana really likes to oil the roads and lay rock in the oil.
When they do that, just stay someplace else until everyone else has a chance to zing the rocks and splatter oil on the undercarriages.

Once all of that is done, roads are........passable.

OP
Stewart

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
Roads were not to horrible around glacier with the exception of going to the sun as it was under construction. I hate the oil and rock that montana does and it has cost me 4 windshields in the past from flying rocks.

The holiday inn express in kalispell is quite nice and not that far from the park. Make sure to buy an interagency park pass for 80 bucks its a heck of a bargin.

If your ever going to yellowstone from I 90 I highly recomend taking hwy 212 to the north east entrance. One fantastic drive. However that route forced me to break out the top after it started to snow and I couldn't feel my fingers any more. Nothing like putting a packaway top up at 10k feet in a raging snow storm the first week of september.

Tip wise
Wax the snot out of your rockers before you go as I have a ton of tar on mine. Bugs are horrible this year so expect to make a stop to clean out your radiator. RainX the snot out of your windshield and cary extra washer fluid. If your driving at dusk or night keep a real sharp eye out for deer/elk/moose/antelope/raccons/cattle/horses on the road. Make sure you have plenty of duct tape and bailing wire for your trip. Dont ever eat a salid from cracker barrel.

It's a fantastic trip for an MG.

OP
Stewart

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
Well made it back just a tick over 3k miles. The starter decided to crap out 20 feet from the garage. I'm beat but what a trip.

People really need to take these cars on longer trips as they are fantastic cruising machines.

Only change I think I may make is cruise control.

Time for beer and a shower.