• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I've lost Reverse!

JessW

Freshman Member
Hello to all! I'm new to the forum and was recommended here by my father who has two British cars and has found this forum immensely helpful.

A little background: I purchased my first solo project car, 1979 MGB "Emma", two years ago and got to drive it for the first time last weekend. The previous owner was a mechanic who bought it cheap from a guy you left it at the shop. The mechanic restored her and drove her for a bit then let her sit for a year before selling her to me. Needless to say Emma has been a little neglected. Over the last two years I've gotten her running and then had problem after problem that I've fixed to finally get her on the road.
Currently: I’m to the point where she can be driven but can’t find the reverse gear. Luckily my driveway has a slight slope so I could just "nudge" her a little and she rolled out of the garage. I had already determined that at least first gear was functioning properly before trying this little stunt. I'm in a British Car Club and have asked them where it was and the general consensus was that it was the left of first and up (also the manual agreed). When I try this it's like hitting a wall though. I've tried picking up the gearshift and pushing down the gear shift but nothing seems to work.

Does anyone know what could be the problem or have had a similar experience? I appreciate any assistance, thanks!

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
4 synchro MGB reverse is to the left and BACK. Might take a sharp smack thru the gate...

OP
J

JessW

Freshman Member
I've tried the sharp smack but it won't go through the gate. Is there some reason why it won't go through the gate? Once that is solved I can try the BACK part you mentioned.

Thanks

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
If the backup light switch is frozen then it will not let the shifter go to the left. Get up under the car and remove the switch. A small set of channel lock pliers will get the job done. On the later cars like yours you will have to squeeze the connectors before they will pull off the switch. The switch is about 1-1/4" diameter. If that works then purchase another switch. Welcome aboard! Bob

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
My '69 (all syncro) had trouble hitting reverse plus other gears. It had been sitting (mostly) for about 10 years.

I removed the reverse light switch, but it didn't help.

So, I drizzled kerosene down the shifter all around the "ball" area (and hoping it would drip back into the rest of the shift mechanism). Meanwhile, I kept "working" the shifter back and forth. After doing this for about 20 minutes, it got better and better and it would catch all the gears.
And after a little driving, it seemed fine (I also changed the trans oil).

G'luck!

OP
J

JessW

Freshman Member
I will try those suggestions, thanks!

JKent

Freshman Member
If you don't have kerosine, "PB Blaster" lubricant seems to do a nice job of loosening up stuck things. If you don't have any, I do. Come over and help yourself. Good luck

OP
J

JessW

Freshman Member
I don't have kerosine but I do have PB Blaster so will try that this weekend.

Country flag
Or try Doc E's patent pending "Weasel Pee".....50% ATF / 50% Acetone.....numerous BCFers swear by it

OP
J

JessW

Freshman Member
Thanks Peter, I'll give it a try

RayT

Freshman Member
Hello to all, I'm new to the forum and seeking help from the kind hearted.

I'll go ahead and declare myself as a D---A-- so you don't have to wonder about me.
I can find reverse in my 76 midget but I have to lift the shift lever up with the retainer cap off. The lever lifts up out of the teflon cup enought that the nipple tip below the lower ball will pass over the small plate bolted into the left side and petruding into the bottom of the shifter housing. (reverse swith is out) By shifting to the right and forwad it will go into reverse. Of course then I'm usually left with the shift lever in my hand. This can't be right, so someone please clue me in.
Don't be laughing. I'm no mechanic and I purchased this baby for $400.00 because I was bored. It was last taged in 97 and shows it. I've rebuilt the clutch, brakes & carb this baby runs. If I could get the shifter working properly I could drive it around the farm. (If I don't fall thru the floorboard.)

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
RayT, first off, welcome! we're glad you're here. Second, after this post in the Spridget section Sprite+Midget=Spridget, you'll get more answers than you could ever need.

Third, you do have to life the shift lever to get into reverse - odd but that is how they made them. I'm not clear from your post whether you are missing the retainer cap or whether it was binding or whether you assumed it to be a problem and started dismantling, but, assuming it to be the latter, button it all up, lift to get in reverse and go scare the cows or whomever you scare on that farm!

keep the questions coming - we've all been there.

RayT

Freshman Member
Thanks for the info JP.
I have the retainer cap but the lever would not lift up with the cap on. Your info gave me faith that I was not doing something wrong so, with a sharp jerk up on the shift lever it broke loose and shifts into reverse. How ever if I lift too high the lever wants to twist when I move it forward. Is that normal or do I have a worn part? Cows look out!!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
not exactly sure why it twists - mind you now I can't remember whether mine does or not. Just drive it and let it work itself back into working - I suspect all is fine and just needs to be used some. You might want to pull the gear lever and just give all a good clean. Also, check the transmission fluid - you will have to jack up the car and the plug is on the passenger side half way up the gearbox housing. I believe it is 9 weight gear oil filled to the top of the hole.