• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Less than pinhole radiator leak....

R6MGS

Yoda
Ok, so the 61 MGA has been sucking down the coolant for awhile and I noticed that on the back side of the radiator top there is a VERY small pinhole(probably smaller than a pinhole) it's just enough that under pressure the coolant sprays out of here and vapourizes thus not leaving any trace of a leak except for a gummy reside on the engine block behind it. I put in a bottle of Bars Leak but it didn't help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Is there anything I can do besides keep topping it up until I get a chance to pull the rad and have it redone. I probably won't get to pull it until the fall as this car is relied upon for daily transport(which is a problem in itself).

Thanks
Ron

jdeluke137

I used some JB Weld on mine as a temporary fix. Get the original - its good for 600 degrees. It will hold until fall - maybe several falls.

Kimberly

Jedi Trainee
When the radiator in my truck split the top seam, I went to work thirty minutes early, pulled the radiator in the parking lot, called the local radiator shop, they sent someone to pick it up, radiator shop soldered the seam, delivered the radiator to me at work in the afternoon, when I got off work, I installed the radiator, filled the cooling system and went on my way. I was only twenty minutes late picking my mom up from work.

Is the radiator easy to remove from your car? Do you know of a local radiator shop that can provide pick-up and delivery service?

I had a pen-tip size hole in my toyota's radiator after dropping a cam gear... Took me all of about 10 minutes to pull it, solder it with silver solder, and then re-install it. Not too hard... just use flux, and get the area around the hole hot enough to bond to the solder. Mine has held up well for the past couple thousand miles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Another option, clean around hole well and use a bit of 5 min epoxy. Lots of stuff in tubes and such at your friendly place. Heh, could even put a very small screw in the hole with a bit of goop.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Don't leave that Bars stuff in it long - it'll inhibit the flow (ask me how I know that).

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
I think most of the bars is gone now anyway....I keep filling it with distilled water and it's only got a light brownish color now....I think I'll try the JB weld stuff first(cuz I have some here) nd if it works I'll change the coolant with fresh stuff.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
Tried the JB...held up for a bit....Had it out today to take my neices for rides....Thing started to **** pretty good, since I am home this week we won't need it so I'll pull the rad tomorrow and take it in.....Now who wants to keep track of the 'might as wells'?

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
This was 24 hours epoxy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif ....but it still softened up and leaked. I am finished with easy way out repairs, time to pull and have it done properly. Just annoyed becasue all I've done all summer is work on cars. Spent the last day and a half just cleaning up the DD Caddy, now tomorrow I gotta dig into the A.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
There is underwater epoxy for boats.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Any 'repair' to a radiator other than pulling & doing properly is a DPO bandaid...you're doing the right thing!

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
thanks tony...The culprit is out, and easily too. Takeing it in first thing tomorrow.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've gotta run by the radiator shop Monday also....have a gas tank a 6 radiators in for repair/evaluation....gonna see what it costs to have them recored in mass - hopefully, it'll be a a price where I can still sell them & make a little profit.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
Tony, I am curious....How much did that cost you? I got charged almost $400 CDN to have one rad redone. I thought it was a little steep so I called a few other places and got the same kinda thing. It's in now and I should get it tomorrow, or the next day....I need this thing moving again cuz it's blocking my other MGA in.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Went by today to drop off another gas tank - got 3 in there now being cleaned/boiled/pressurized (seems everybody needs a tank right now!).

....he said all the rads were good & only one needed any repairing & none needed recoring...but he's gonna work me a price for recoring the various MGB & midget rads based o the dimensions I gave him...will get it Thursday...but, I'll tell you, it'll be way lower than what you were charged because I do bulk business with him.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The radiator biz is under the same "black cloud" as body shops, dry cleaners and rechrome houses: all are environmentally ugly. Where Tony and I live there are still some "Ma & Pa" type places "grandfathered in" so prices are still a bit less daunting for us if we can FIND those shops. Put all your LBC's in prime condition NOW, and maintain 'em 'cause they'll soon be considered pariah... or learn to do your own lead work, bodywork and painting. The end is nigh. We're fast becoming "socially unacceptable" elements. Dinosaurs. Ex-parrots.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Amen, Doc....my radiator guy has an old, decrepid, dirty shop where chemicals are laying all around - but he's been there since Alexander crossed the Alps without pooper scoopers....when he goes, that entire property will be condemned!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
"Superfund Site" most likely. What a crock...

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
True...I plan to keep working on my cars until I die...And i know my two kids feel the same way, my oldest son is ranked second in our region for uncertified auto mechanics....If I had the time I'd probably end up doing my own work....someday maybe