• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Intro

Dozuki

Hi everyone.
Just thought I'd introduce myself.
I'm not good at Bio's so, I'll just elaborate a bit on the LBC type stuff.

When I was younger (17-mid 20's) I've owned 5 Spitfires, and learned to work on cars via those. I rebuilt engines (as a matter of necissity as I've almost always just had 1 car). and basicly tore them apart and put them back together. I have many fond memories of those times, as well as a memory of literaly crying as I'm tearing an engine down.

My grandfather has had a couple "B's" and my Aunt had a couple too. My cousin has a bugeyed sprite that he has been restoring for as far back as I can remember. I guess it runs in the family.

So, a few weeks ago my wife and I were driving home and I saw a yellow B under a tarp with a for sale sign. I had to go look, and then I had to go and meet the guy selling it.... Not in good shape... but had potential. 2 hours later and the car was running and I drove it around the block. Seems it is now sitting in my driveway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Its a 75, and I'm not sure that any of the past couple of owners new much about these cars (the previous to the one I bought it from sounds like he didn't know cars at all). So, now I'm slowly going through all the mechanicals and starting to straighten them out. I've had the car for almost a week, and tonight I finally got it to run like it should (for about 20 minutes). The car has been off the road for about a year and a half, and the guy I bought it from said that the previous owner to him had spent $1200 on it and had never really got it running right. I don't see what the guy spent the money on except maybe for the hourly rate of some mechanic to tear off all the emissions and generally botch trying to get it running without them. Most everything on the car seems to be darn near original and showing its old age. Bodywise, it needs a sill job, floor pans, and a battery box. There is also some surface rust, but there are really no bad dings or dents.

anyway, I've got a new tinker toy, and my wife says that I've already gotten my moneys worth out of it as I've spent a couple hours every night just tinkering and making a mental tally of what needs done (eveything) and in what order to do it. New distributor will be here Monday, and a front suspension kit and full brake kit should be here a few days after that. That should keep me busy for a couple of weeks.

Wel, I'll stop rambling... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

sultanoswing

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Nice post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good luck with the upcoming 'jobs' - I put that in commas because as we all know it really is play, not work!

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Welcome to the Forum...and have fun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Bruce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Ok all you newbies - now THATS how you do an intro post! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Wecome to the best little British car discussion forum east of the Rio Grande!

Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
wow, i never did an intro post, is it too late? where in the u.s. are you?

[/ QUOTE ]
Its never too late! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

OP
Dozuki

Dozuki

Hmmm, seems I need to fix the location part of the Avatar. I'm in Indianapolis. Not sure where Floyds Knobs is ? or is it a joke? I wouldn't be suprised either way =P My favorite name for a road in Indiana is 'that rd' down near Bloomington.

Raining like cats and dogs right now, so I can't tinker. The garage is full of wood and parts from my kitchen remodel. Will get her inside once the kitchen is done. Doing the floors this weekend and I figgure another couple of weekends ought to do the trick.

"Wecome to the best little British car discussion forum east of the Rio Grande!
"

So, I've noticed. I wish this site was around when I had all my Spits, would have saved me some trouble. But, didn't even have then web back then (least not easy access for the public).

Basil

Administrator
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
The garage is full of wood and parts from my kitchen remodel. Will get her inside once the kitchen is done. Doing the floors this weekend and I figgure another couple of weekends ought to do the trick.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel your pain remodeling. It wasn't long ago I put down large (13x13) ceramic tiles in my kitchen, utility room and pantry. I felt like a 90 year old when I was done! Last night I was up until 2 AM installing a new Dishwasher and next week we start with tiling our counter tops.

Basil

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The garage is full of wood and parts from my kitchen remodel. Will get her inside once the kitchen is done. Doing the floors this weekend and I figgure another couple of weekends ought to do the trick.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel your pain remodeling. It wasn't long ago I put down large (13x13) ceramic tiles in my kitchen, utility room and pantry. I felt like a 90 year old when I was done! Last night I was up until 2 AM installing a new Dishwasher and next week we start with tiling our counter tops.

Basil

[/ QUOTE ]

What my dad used to call "The Joys of Home Ownership" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bruce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
well... the joy part of it is you don't need to get approval from the Landlord... then again, you probably have to get the approval from the wifey... oh wait, was probably her idea to begin with ... well at least it's the way you guys want it to look and not some outside 3rd party. Yeah, that's the joy. It looks the way you and your wife want it to look. :p

**Edit Note: Funny thing, a whole sentence takes on a different meaning with the omission of 3 little words; in this case "want it to" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

OP
Dozuki

Dozuki

I got luckey in the wife department this time. She lets me do what I want with things like cars, the house, etc. So, the remodel is all my design and all my labor (have done everything but the electrical myself). But, that's what I do for a living (interior carpenter). I did get the floors done, put the final coat of poly on last night, so tonight I can tinker on the B =). I've been working on the kitchen for 1 year, and it's time to get it done. I didn't do anything to it over the winter, don't like working on things outside in the cold.

mgbmedic

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
joke? floyds knobs is basically a suburb of louisville, ky. it's in floyd county, indiana. Bloomington's up north.

OP
Dozuki

Dozuki

Sorry, didn't mean to offend, just that the name taken out of context could be considered funny =)

mgbmedic

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
no offense taken, it does sound funny, but has some of the best roads for driving your mg you'll even see. "The Knobs" are hills, and lots of them, with scenic views of the ohio river valley, it's quite a beautiful sight. come down and visit sometime. mgbmedic