• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Intro -- Been Lurking...

Tim Hollister

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Hello all! Quite an LBC forum here! Been reading for quite some time but now have a street Midget in addition to the two race cars in the avatar!

Anyway, I'm an old guy that retired almost ten years ago from the Army (Cobra and Apache pilot and maintenance officer) that is now living in Waterford, Michigan and working for Ford.

The family is involved in our little race team -- I drive one car and one of the sons (Brad) drives the other. Mom and the younger son (Paul - still too young to drive but works Sound Control at the track) both support.

And yes, I'm only a few miles from both Bugeye58 and RacingGirl. What a pair those two make when they are goofing off!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Had my first real breakdown with the street Midget today too. Running rich and flooding and finally quit. Had been blowing fuel out of the float chamber drains so I expected lots of fuel when I pulled the hose and turned the ignition on. Nothing at all! Then I realized I didn't hear the pump either! Evidently the pump (some aftermarket thing) was pumping too hard, overheated and quit.

To keep a long story short, ran home and pulled the pump off the parts car and installed it on the street car. All is well - drove another 50 or so miles!

Will try to upload the pict of the street car now...

66643-Street%20MG.JPG

BTW, that's my brother and sister-in-law in the car.

Glad to be finally getting active here!

Tim

Attachments

• 66643-Street MG.JPG
    66643-Street MG.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 128
Welcome to the forum

RobSelina

Jedi Warrior
nice little car! how about a couple of pics of the race cars in the avatar? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BradHollister

I've got a GREAT shot of those two cars. Don't let his avatar fool ya.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
hpredroof0329-1.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Here's to you pops! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Brad Hollister

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Good thing you stopped lurking, or I'd have had to "visit you in the small hours and put a bat up your night dress."

Welcome aboard our humble forum!
Basil
"I am the manager as well"
(Fawlty Towers fans will get it)

racing girl

Jedi Knight
Don't let Brad fool you either..... Dad was HP Champion last year... Brad was not!!!

Can't follow diretions... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif

jg03r14.jpg

RG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

BradHollister

Oh no! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif I'm a glutten for punishment! RG + Camera = too much evidence! LOL!

In all seriousness, I will NEVER forget that race...or Jeff saying "I didn't know who to root for!" afterward! LOL

Brad

Bugeye58

Yoda
Yeah, I was "the Operating Steward" for that one, and it was tough to stay impartial. Now, if we could only get Nial to come out and play!
Jeff

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I'm not racing you guys....you don't have any windshields!

Anyway, my tailbone is still recovering from our long pull out to BeaveRun (near P'burgh) two weeks ago.....a 9 hour pull (each way) for me. EMRA isn't running Shannonville, Ontario this year due to complaints about the distance for all of us (12 hours each way for me). But I would really like to have a go at your track (and some other ones out there)....If I win the NJ lottery, I promise I'll come racing in the heartland.

Meanwhile, you guys are always welcome to come play with us. We run lots of venues including Pocono (north and south tracks), Lime Rock, Watkins Glen, BeaveRun, and Summit Point. We are all looking forward to the new "Karosel" turn they just built at Summit (a copy of the similar turn at Nurburghring). Surprisingly, there are 4 new tracks being built within reasonable towing for me...cool.

Bugeye58

Yoda
We don' need no steenking windshields! Too much drag.
I'd love to come and play at the Glen. Haven't been there in awhile. I haven't been to Summit in years, and understand it has improved greatly. VIR is also on my list of places to go at least once before I make my last pit stop, as is BeaveRun. Never have cared for LRP, though.
It would be fun to get both Tim and Brad, as well as myself, and join you guys. But, that would mean DOT tires for all of us, and an enduro engine. Probably a warmed 1275 would work for a fun weekend, wouldn't it? I know none of our current engines would stand an enduro.
Jeff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Basil

Administrator
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Tim,

Welcome to the BCF, from a fellow former Cobra pilot... (and UH1 IP, OH58A scout, and then much later even some fixed wing stuff).

<font color="green"> FLY ARMY ! </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of pilots, my oldest boy is less than two months from graduating from AF UPT (at Vance AFB, OK). He'll be flying heavies, but doesn't know what yet. Currently training in the T-1 Jayhawk

Basil

racing girl

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
But I would really like to have a go at your track...

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on down Nial the price is right, our July race weekend would work for you, everyone who races gets to pay the Waterford Hills member rate, which is ludicrously cheap.

Failing that, we're trying to get The Waterford Hills Flying Circus back on the raod and head en-masse down to Mid-O for the Brat Bash July 31st/August 1st. Sounds like a lot of fun!

Hollisters both... will you be out this month??? Miss you guys!

RG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
mmmmm.. Brats!
I gotta go out and get this weeks lottery ticket (if I won the lottery, I would spend every weekday flying and every weekend racing!).

Jeff: Our enduros are only 1 to 4 hours. Even a real hand-grenade engine can run that far (and you know, you don't *have* to shift at 8000 RPM!). I like Lime Rock, but the track surface is awful....very bumpy. BeaveRun is the best overall in my view (reminds me of Bridgehampton).

Bugeye58

Yoda
Airknocker said:

"and you know, you don't *have* to shift at 8000 RPM"

With the 948, that would be considered a short shift!
I think if I can get it all in place, I'd do something like EMRA, with a 1275 that is pretty hot for vintage racing, but warm for SCCA. A decent regional motor, that isn't too expensive to repair when it makes those funny noises. Probably not this season, but I'll work on the Hollister boys, and maybe we can do something next year.
By the way, our battle cry for the Brat Bash is, "Kick their butts, eat their food, drink their beer, and steal their trophies".
Jeff

OP
Tim Hollister

Tim Hollister

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Wow! Want to say thanks for all the "welcomes"!

Rob, don't want to hog too much of Basil's disk space but here is a picture of the car while I was attending driver's school in 2002.

66994-TimDSTrack2002.jpg

Jeff, of course you are right when you say, "About time!" You and RG are the ones that turned me on to this site just over a year ago!

Then my son joins BCF and tries to "smack talk" his Dad. RG to the rescue! RG, you did a much better job of "spanking" the young'en than I could done. Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

aeronca65t, been reading your posts for so long I almost feel like we've met! Nice looking car and always a joy to read about your adventures! Thanks for the invite to come out your way and play -- may just be able to do that next summer. I know I'd love to get on some of the tracks you've listed! (Listening Jeff? I bet I can find a windshield or two around here to slap on the cars...)

Hello Reid! Roger the Fly Army!! Loved it then and really miss it now! Cobras were great but by 1985 they were so heavy that performance and range/time on station was really suffering. OTOH, the Apache was just coming onboard and was overpowered and very, very agile even at 1.5 times the max gross of the Cobra. Scared myself at least once by rapidly rolling into a turn at high speed and low altitude. Man, the roll rate was something else! Will always take pride and joy with my involvement with Army Aviation!

Basil, tell that son of yours to keep on keeping on! Aviation can certainly be a very rewarding career!

RG, Brad and I are trying to be out for the next race. Work is the major problem here -- my work. They've got just about all the blood from me they can and it is time I started having a life again! Heading out to the garage as soon as I'm done typing...

Thanks again to everyone!!

Tim

Attachments

• 66994-TimDSTrack2002.jpg
    66994-TimDSTrack2002.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 146