• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Intro and Hello

norcalnewb

I originally posted a couple of weeks ago in the MG forum, as I was interested in either a MGB or Midget. Well, I just bought a '62 Sprite. So, I thought I would drop a note to tell everyone hello.

The sprite has been in storage for the past 15 years and had a valve problem before it went it. The body has very little rust, so that is a bonus. The previous owner's family has been in possesion of the car since '68. He and his dad are both mechanics, and it seems to have been well taken care of. It will take some work to awake, but I felt the price was pretty good.

Anyway, hello to everybody! I am sure I will be checking often for advice and help.

screenprinter

Jedi Trainee
Nice to see you bought a Sprite - Possibly the most fun per gallon of just about ANY car - (I'm sure all owners feel the same about their marque)

Anyway, looking forward to posting with you.

Bob M.

OP
norcalnewb

norcalnewb

Thanks for the welcome Screenprinter. I noticed that you are from NC. I actually just moved about a month ago from Asheville to the Bay area in Cali. Quite a change. NC was a great place to live. The mountains didn't have such a great representation of British cars; I can honestly say that I didn't see one during the 3 years I was in Asheville. I see them relatively frequently here! I guess I didn't realize how popular they were until I found this forum.

George Zeck

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Welcome to BCF. I'm sure your find everyone here helpful and friendly. I am completing what most call a "rolling restoration" of a 1964 Sprite. It sat for 18 years and had to re-do many items. It was a slow restro -- primarily due to the fact it was in FLA and I was in OH (long story).

It's here now and should have it back from the shop today or tomorrow on a tricky item (diagnostically speaking) -- water pump worked, but hoses (to & from) were plugged up.

Someone asked me a few weeks ago to give a rundown on what I have done and would look at to bring a car back from the grave (such as yours has sat for so long). Please refer to the bottom of the following post:

https://www.britishcarforum.com/ubbthread...=true#Post79187

Key Items:

Fuel System: (Tank, Line, Pump, Carbs)

Braking System: Mstr Cyl($$), Calipers (f) & cylinders (r), ALL Brake lines.

Cooling System: Radiator, Termostat, Thermo Housing (dissimilar metals and usually corroded), water pump and ALL Hoses.

Starting System: Coil, Plugs, Wires ?? (haven't gotten there yet but sofar works fine).

Fluids: Oil (use 20W50 !!) for Regular AND Tranny, Grease up everything. Buy a "ratchet" wrench for the end of the canister oil filter (it's not spin on like new cars are today)

Misc: Electrical (pray !!), Buy new tires (rubber becomes unstable after sitting unused for so long).

The engine seals; because it's sat so long, have probably dried out. I poured a reasonable amt of Marvels Mystery Oil into the cylinders over 1 - 2 weeks (w/o starting it for the first couple and then "lightly" after that to move things around). Did this to "re-condition" the seals. I got lucky and it worked pretty well.

Upon starting; the car will smoke (from Oil Fill Area) for a while and settled down after 10 min to a much mroe "reasonable" amount.

I'm sure the list above is daunting to you -- it is. Be careful --- you will probably spend mouch more than the care is worth. It's a more of a hobby than an investment. It's not going to be a "throw in a battery" and go -- have fun, have patience and by next spring it'll be driveable.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

OP
norcalnewb

norcalnewb

Thanks for the advice, George. It will be a slow process. Luckily, something should be in decent shape. The previous owner drained the cooling system and removed and cleaned the fuel tank (which still needs to be re-installed) prior to putting the car in storage. I am hoping that those items at least will be usuable without too much work.

I am also in the process of moving into a home, and have already been told that my new toy is way down low on the list of activites on which I get to spend time. That means it probably won't be next spring when I get use the car. It will probably be the summer some time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

screenprinter

Jedi Trainee
Yeah... Asheville is beautiful. I wish all the forum members could tour the Biltmore Estate - There'd be a lot of jaws hanging slack - But those can be bad roads in the winter ( maybe thats why no LBCs)- Ours are more moderate - I'm right in the middle of the Triad, smack in between Greensboro, High Point and Winston-Salem and in the fall of the year I like to putt the Blue Ridge Parkway in the jolly old Sprite and take in the Fall colors.

Best of luck in Sunny California - I'm sure once you're settled in you'll find time to work on your toy.

Bob M.