• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Inspection pit

john_j

Jedi Trainee
Does anyone have an inspection pit in the garage?

If so...
Do you think it's a worthwhile pay off between the effort of digging/lining it and the ease of getting to the underside of the car?

What do you think the minimum size that would be worth having? (ie I'm trying to mimimise the digging effort)

(PS I'm aware of the safety/fumes issues with pits, so I would prefer replies that are specifically in reply to the questions, thanks)

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
HI John, I understand that pits are quite popular in the UK and there is a vendor there making up a drop inplace Plastic unit with air and electrical connections in place.However, I believe that above ground lifts are more desired here in the US--__FWIW--Cheers--Keoke

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
A good friend of mine has one and I'm often down in it when I'm giving him a hand. Pesonally, I think it's pretty stinky and damp and we are often dropping tools in it (and almost dropping ourselves in it too!).
And it seems to waste a lot of valuable floor space in my view.
I'd rather an above-ground lift...the electric units are reasonably priced.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
[ QUOTE ]
(and almost dropping ourselves in it too!).

[/ QUOTE ]
Nial,
I agree, a real hazzard & space waster when not in use.
John,
I realize that you didn't want safety mentioned. Sorry, it's just a big issue with me.
D

OP
john_j

john_j

Jedi Trainee
The only reason I said don't tell me about the safty issues, was that when I asked the question on another board, no one said anything about the usefulness or size, and 6 people told me all the safety implications, which I knew anyway !

I'm not sure why you think there's a space problem with a pit (just it board over when not in use) but there isn't with a lift. Where do you put the lift when not in use.(Remember I'm in the UK with a single garage and no space to make it bigger, not the US, which judging by pics on here, everyone has a 2/3/4 car garage!!)

Rick60

Hi John, I have a pit in my garage. It measures about 4ft in length and is about 3ft wide. There's a room under the garage and when I made the floor from concrete it was easy for me to leave a hole in it. It's complicated to get down there (have to enter the house, go to the basement and enter the room under the garage), but when doing an inspection or a grease job I won't miss it. In case I had to do it again I would make it at least 8ft long.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well J0hn J, that is correct ,all you have to do is board the pit over to restore the floor space and eliminate the potential to fall in when not in use.A point to consider though is that the above ground lift can be put up in the lift position and will also restore foor space.Some side clerarance will be lost though,not too much. Additionally depending on the garage height you just might be able to put two cars in a single car garage using the above ground lift.One up on the lift and the second one parked directly underneath. Just some thoughts.---Cheers ---Keoke

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
[ QUOTE ]

.One up on the lift and the second one parked directly underneath. Just some thoughts.---Cheers ---Keoke

[/ QUOTE ]
I hope you don't put a leaky British car on the top side. Especially if the bottom one is a convertible.
D

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OH we always cover the bottom one with some plasticy stuff Dave.---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

jtb55

I had one beginning in the late 80's for six years. It was part of a property that was built around 1920( garage seprate from house). It was a period piece and not useful.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
[ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure why you think there's a space problem with a pit (just it board over when not in use)

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess some of us yanks are just lazy or in a hurry. It takes a double arm load of two inch planks to cover the pit. Not really very convenient. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
D

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Convenience is not the issue Dave, Safety is.You can't be lazy if siblings might be playing around in the garage---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

AndrewMawson

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have an inspection pit in the garage?

If so...
Do you think it's a worthwhile pay off between the effort of digging/lining it and the ease of getting to the underside of the car?

What do you think the minimum size that would be worth having? (ie I'm trying to mimimise the digging effort)

(PS I'm aware of the safety/fumes issues with pits, so I would prefer replies that are specifically in reply to the questions, thanks)

[/ QUOTE ]

John,

When I built my garage 15 years ago I put in a pit. Sized it as deep as the digger I'd hired could dig (about 5'6")reckoning that you can always put duck boards on the floor. It was constructed of poured concrete with a waterproofer added, AND it had a thick polythene liner behind the concrete.

Despite the waterproofing I still get a small seepage. The cover is solid pieces of 4"x2" timber sitting with the 4" upright, and I cast a 4" recess into the edge to take the timber flush with the floor.

Only problem is that that part of the garage has been annexed as a workshop, with another gargage built in front for the Healey, so to use the pit I have to roll the band saw and tool and cutter grinder out of the way.

Doesn't get used often, but VERY useful recently when I wanted to drop the sump and change the oil pump.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif