• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 - Need to pass NJ inspection...

SpannerMan

Jedi Trainee
Hi all,
I recently moved up to NJ, bringing my 71 TR6. Sooner or later it will need to go through inspection here. There's a safety inspection, and an idle emissions test.

Does anyone out there know what the idle emission specs for '71 in NJ are? The car idles well without more than the occasional miss, and the mixture looks good on the plugs. Is that likely to be sufficient??

I notice also that 'visible blue smoke' is a potential failure. Is a puff after it's been idling or sitting (some wear in the valve guides I think) usually a failure, or are they likely to let that go? I have also thought about adding some STP 'smoke treatment'. Does the stuff work, and is likely to have any bad effects? I am just thinking I'd be better off trying to pass first time than come back for a repeat where scrutiny might be even higher. I'm running Castrol GTX 20W50 by the way. Also, should I do the free state inspection, or pay a garage to do it?

Thanks a lot!! Wish me luck, Pete

bash

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi Pete

Are you using the car as everyday transport? If not you can forget the test - I just registered my car last week, so I have the options freshly in my mind!

You can register the car as an Historic vehicle (anything over 25 years qualifies) which has no testing requirement at all, you get a plate that says "Historic" at the bottom, and you just have to mail in a renewal every two years (no fees after the initial $44 registration). The down side to this is that the car is supposed to be used only for "exhibition and education".

The other choice is to register the car as a collector vehicle - this gives no restriction on the type of use but there is a 3000 mile limit each year - you have to show up at the inspection station each year, but only to get the odometer read. This gives you "normal" plates and a decal for the windscreen. The fee is as per normal registration, plus a $10 fee for the decal.

Not sure if any of this is helpful to you - if you use the car a lot then you will be stuck with the emissions test, I suppose. From talking to a few TR6 owners at shows it seems that the police don't worry too much about cars with Historic plates being used frequently, unless you are blatantly commuting past their station...

Hope I said something useful there!
Alistair

OP
SpannerMan

SpannerMan

Jedi Trainee
Hi Alistair,

Thanks, that is helpful. I was going to do the collector plates, but after making some calls I came up with the answer that I'd need to go through inspection, get the plates, then apply for collector car status to waive future inspections. I don't have NJ plates at all, since I just moved to the state. How about your situation? Do you think I ought to be able to bypass it? (I don't put much stock in who answers the phone at the agency... 3 different answers to the same question if you ask 3 different people.)

Thanks again - Pete

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Pete

Are you using the car as everyday transport? If not you can forget the test - I just registered my car last week, so I have the options freshly in my mind!
The other choice is to register the car as a collector vehicle - this gives no restriction on the type of use but there is a 3000 mile limit each year - you have to show up at the inspection station each year, but only to get the odometer read. This gives you "normal" plates and a decal for the windscreen. The fee is as per normal registration, plus a $10 fee for the decal.

Not sure if any of this is helpful to you - if you use the car a lot then you will be stuck with the emissions test, I suppose. From talking to a few TR6 owners at shows it seems that the police don't worry too much about cars with Historic plates being used frequently, unless you are blatantly commuting past their station...

Hope I said something useful there!
Alistair

[/ QUOTE ]

bash

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi Pete

My car had no plates at all - I bought it from a guy in Pennsylvania who bought it from a guy who had moved from Texas to Oregon and then to Pennsylvania and it was last registered in Oregon about 7 years ago. After spending over a year doing the recommissioning work I thought would take 2 months (that's another story...) I finally got the plates last week.

To get the historic plates, I had to go to a special office in Trenton with details of insurance, a couple of photos and the title. I filled in a small form, handed over my cheque and walked out 15 minutes later with my plates.

As for collectors, I was told that I would simply go to my local MVC office, show the title and insurance to get a set of normal plates, then I could drive to the inspection station and get the decal. I just took their word for it -I don't know if you usually need an inspection before getting plates, as I have never registered a "normal" car here myself - I only moved to America a couple of years ago and my everyday car is a leased company car.

I would suggest that you go to the MVC and seek out the person who has some grain of intelligence - last time I was there (for a license) I was informed that England is a state by several people (in two different offices) before I found someone who could help!

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.
Alistair

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
My NJ experience is similar to Alistair's.

I have several friends who registered their cars with the collector status as a first-time registration (they did not have to be registered "normal" first and pass any emission tests).

If you go down to Trenton, you may be able to get the process done in one day (I did). Be sure to bring several photos of your car that you can leave with them...they may ask.

One point: your regular insurance company may not be the best deal if you register as a collector vehicle (you may actually pay a higher rate than a normal car). But if you choose one of the specialty companies that do only classic car insurance, you'll find that the rate is much cheaper. When my Spridget was street registered, I had a seperate insurance company for that car and it was under $100 a year for decent coverage.

boxofparts

Country flag
The clean air act of 1970 required a 1.5% TP CO and 275ppm of HC. Considering your vehicle combustion is near a stoicometric ratio of 14.6 Air/Fuel (grey exhaust is usually a simple sign) then you should not have an issue.

If you lean out your carbs you will minimize HC and CO but will make some NOX. Vehicle will not run so great but that is why you have a choke.

If you fail there is a $$ limit to which you need to spend to make it comply. If you are low income you need not pass.

I Michigan they did away with all the tests since the OEMs and thier OBDII computers now detect when a vehicle is failing emissions. NJ is wasting everybodys time and money.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
...NJ is wasting everybodys time and money.

I'm not sure I agree.
NJ inspection is a safety *and* emissions test. Brakes, front end and steering are checked as well as lights, tires, brakes and so forth.
I have been in other states where there is no safety inspection (other than rare police spot-checks) and I have seen some dreadful cars on the roads.
I like the idea that our cars get a "once-over" look every now and then. Many of us here at BCF keep an eye on our cars, but plenty of folks out there will drive unsafe cars (through ignorance or indifference).

By the way, leaning out the carb may result in high HC (due to misfire) so there is a point of diminishing returns on some cars. And some engines have a very narrow "sweet spot" where both HC and CO are within acceptable limits.

Many newer cars tested in NJ (including my '00 Miata) are queried via the ALDL port (no sniffer or dyno test), so emissions part of the test is fast and simple.
I understand that the OBD2 systems on newer cars will "report" a problem via the Check Engine light, but I know folks who've ignored these lights (or even put a piece of tape over them!). Without inpsection or dealer service, the Check Engine light is no guarantee that the problem will be fixed.
(I've heard that some GM cars will report fault codes to the factory via On-Star, but this is a small number of vehicles right now).

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
NJ Historic does not require inspection. The snag is that DMV has ran out of historic plates and they are on back order (seems like the prisoner took the summer off). At least that what I was told last week.

I would recommend calling them to see if they do have plates before going to Trenton. As mentioned above bring pictures, acopy of the title and the insurance policy number (if possible proof of insurance).

OP
SpannerMan

SpannerMan

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]
My NJ experience is similar to Alistair's.

I have several friends who registered their cars with the collector status as a first-time registration (they did not have to be registered "normal" first and pass any emission tests).

If you go down to Trenton, you may be able to get the process done in one day (I did). Be sure to bring several photos of your car that you can leave with them...they may ask.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks a lot - this is helpful. So, are you suggesting I take the car to Trenton, with the current out of state plates, and starting from scratch get the collector registration (regular plates) and drive it back. I guess that would be OK, especially if I could do it on a Saturday. I don't think I'm interested in the historic classification with the special plates and usage stipulations. 3k miles a year is fine though. Trenton sent me an application for collector registration, but it implied the car already was registered (there was a box for the plate #) and upon inquiring, I was told I should get the regular inspection done, then apply for collector status.

I plan to go to MVC tomorrow anyway. I will ask again whether I can get the plates, register it as a collector, and take it to the inspection place to get the mileage read.

Thanks for the heads up on insurance too, and the people who provided info on emissions requirements and tuning.

Will report back. Thanks again all, Pete

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
If you are near Elizabeth, I would go there, they always seem to pass my old Jeep when everyone else fails it.

I was there last Monday and they passed it again. $20 bucks of super, no tune up in 1 year with a 140k and it passed.

Patrick

bunzil

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Take it in and go for "collector", not historic status. It's more liberal than historic, and emissions are not required, just safety. You will have no problem.

Gearhead

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
My Midget is reg. under Historic have not had any problems w/the man go for the collector car insurance companys I only pay 60 dollars for 5k of agreed value w/2500 miles per yr. I don't think there is any better value than that I mailed everthing to Trenton got it back in 9/10 days

bunzil

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
In NJ Historic requires the car to be 25 years or older and this was an issue for some a few years back when they tightened the emissions stds. and there were still a few late TR's under 25 years. "Collector" doesn't have an age requirement, just the mileage. Also, someone told me Historic had a requirement having to do with night driving, but I've only heard that once. Regardless, collector insurance applies to both. Good luck.

Lionheart

Wow...this is just what I needed. I just bought my first Truimph (77 Spitfire) and I got the NJ registration. I now need to fix some things before the inspection, like...I'm fairly confident that they'll want the back brakes working.

I swear the lady at the MVC said I had to get it inspected within 10 days...I probably won't make that. I am not driving the car yet...is this gonna work out OK if I get it inspected about a month after the reg?

Also, the air pump has been removed (I still have it)...is that a problem?

I may need to go with the collector reg...I only put <5,000 miles on my Land Rover last year, and that's my daily transportation! (I live on McGuire AFB and commute about 1/2 mile to work.) Let's see...I live 50 miles from the Shore, that means I can go 30 times in a year! Hopefully, they'll deduct 'towed' mileage.

Great forum!
Don (Lionheart)

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
[ QUOTE ]
Take it in and go for "collector", not historic status. It's more liberal than historic, and emissions are not required, just safety. You will have no problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the key. Safety always comes first, so get those back brakes working properly.

OP
SpannerMan

SpannerMan

Jedi Trainee
Well, I said I would follow up so I will. Long story reasonably short... fill out the application card when you register the car. There are some things they should ask you for when you get up to the counter - like proof of insurance as antique/classic - but chances are no one will know what's going on. They should print out the 'Collector Car Voucher' - looks the same as the registration - along with the registration. Take the car to the inspection - can skip the lanes but you need to ask someone exactly where you go, he'll check the VIN numbers and plates, record the odometer, have you drive around to see the odometer goes forward, then give you a 2 year sticker, 3k per year allowed (so you'd better be under 6k additional when you bring it back). There's no inspection per se. I should think a certain amount of common sense is in play. i.e. if you bring something with a blatant problem like a big crack in the windshield they'll probably tell you to please go away and fix it.

Hope this might help someone else who's looking for the same thing. As far as the time limit, I am not sure if they're holding to the 14 days post-registration rule.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Congrats! Glad to see that you are legit and fully registered. Gotta keep NJ's finest happy!