• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Input on what Truck/SUV you drive

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hello all:

It's finally time to depart with my '88 Range Rover Classic. After 16 yrs (6 by me) I need something I don't need to work on to keep going. I sunk abot $6500 into her last year with a new 4.0 engine, rad, etc. The truck is an 8 out of 10, especially for the year, but I'm staring to get the old fatigue of parts, switches, relays, etc. Unfortunatley many of those parts are fairly exspensive & not always that easy to replace with an aftermarket item.

Anyway to my question, I'm looking at the new Ford F150, or F250 4x4 for towing my boat & moving stuff around. I'd go for the extended cab, so I can at least pick up the kids & friends. I've heard the Fords have been the best seller for years, but that doesn't tell me what it is like living with the vehicle. I'm really spoiled with the Rangie. You sit up high, it's great in the snow & definately stands out in the crowd.

Besides the F series does anyone drive an Expedition, which I believe is based on the F150 platform. Not too worried about mileage as I only get 13-14 now.

Please chime in with your experiences.

BTW, drop me an e-mail if your interested in a nice Rover!

Here's a link to a photo.

https://home.comcast.net/~ghamilton99/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-1655051.html

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
The Expedition is based on the F-150 but has a number of changes, including independent rear suspension. I have some friends who tow their jeep around with one and are very happy with it.

Since you're happy with the Rover's towing capability I would guess that the Expedition's capacity would be plenty. The Excursion is based on the F-350 and is available with a diesel so may be a consideration for towing bigger objects.

I drive a Rodeo. I'm very pleased with it in snow and for light off-road duty. On paper it can tow a small ski boat but I wouldn't make a habit of towing anything bigger than a couple of Wave Runners for any kind of distance.

PC.

MGA Steve

Jedi Warrior
I have had a Ford Ranger Supercab XLT 4x4 for 5 years, but it is definitely too small for your purposes. I had to have the clutch replaced twice under warranty in the first 7500 miles, but it has required no repairs other than maintenance items since. I have used it for off-road business and pleasure, including jeep roads in Colorado, without any problems with the transfer case or transmission. I have never had a GM or Dodge truck, so don't know how their quality compares, but I have had Nissan and Toyota 4WDs and the Ford compares favorably. Good luck.

Bret

Yoda
I’ve owned a lot of Ford F-series trucks and currently own a 2001 F-150 XLT 4x4 Supercrew with the larger (5.4L) engine and tow package.

Personally I have driven/rented many of the new trucks out there. Here are some basic thoughts:
1) The GM trucks I have driven over the years have been a huge disappointment to me and I have rented three in the last few weeks. I seriously think the last good bowtie truck was back in the 60’s.
2) The new Dodge Rams are nice and if it wasn’t for my F-150 I’d own one. The Hemi is beyond words performance-wise and the interior of the 4d Club-cab (or whatever they call it) is really roomy and comfortable for 5 adults and the 2wd versions stand almost as tall as most other 4x4s. The only down side IMHO is the ride. I know it’s a truck but it seems a lot more jittery and bumpy than my 4x4 Ford.

Ford Trucks have always treated me great. While I haven’t driven the newest Ford Truck (I really like the looks BTW) I can honestly say that I have never had any major problems with a Blue Oval truck.

Fuel mileage on my F-150 4x4 (loaded up with tools & test equipment) on the freeway is well over 16 MPG. In town it is about 11 to 12MPG and I tend to be a bit of a lead foot so I can live with those numbers. That said I would suspect that the other full size trucks are comparable depending on your driving habits.

My $0.02.

Good luck?

Steve_S

Yoda
I owned a '94 Ranger STX for 5 or 6 years and never had any trouble with it. My wife has owned two Explorers and they have been pretty good with only minor issues. These days there is nothing bigger than a Beemer 528 in the driveway and I'm much happier. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bret

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
These days there is nothing bigger than a Beemer 528 in the driveway and I'm much happier. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, what's the towing capacity of one of those? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Personally if I were to buy a new truck, it would be a F-350 Powerstroke crew cab. Then again I drag a 40ft car trailer around, which most people don't. I test drove one a couple months ago and it was sweet, putting my beloved 96 F-250 to shame! If I didn't have a kid on the way I woulda bought it on the spot. My 250 has 200k on it. Though I didn't buy it new, it still drives pretty good. Dodges are pretty good, and would be my second choice. I work with a bunch of Dodge owners, and the biggest thing I've noticed is little stuff breaks after awhile. I've heard good things about the about the Duramax(Isuzu in my book) but GM's styling is for the birds. Nifty thing, however, GM has 4 wheel stearing. Pretty handy too. Biggest gripe I have about owning a big truck is parking it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

OP
G

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks for the input guys, as expected I've yet to hear anything bad about the Fords. Seems as though the research on what to buy is much easier than finding the cash to do it!!

VitSport6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi.
In a word...Landcruiser!, and not the new indipendent front suspention stuff, Im talking about the 93 to 97 FZJ80's Bomb proof, not the hottest for gas milage. Can tow up to 5000Lbs. I dont know what you intend to use it for, but I love mine. Sold our 3/4 ton Chevy to but it. The new Fords are good rig's I have a few friends that have F350's for towing, They seem to like them, I think they are a bit too big.
Good luck

OP
G

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I looked at an '02 LC with the V8 on the side of the road for sale. It had 52k on it, the guy was asked (wanted) $31k for it! Sounds awfully expensive, it was a lease he was trying to close out.

How much are they new $50k???

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...How much are they new $50k???

[/ QUOTE ]

for 2004, MSRP: $54,725 - $55,025

That's base. Then you add options (and dealer jerk up).

Darn nice trucks though.

PC

philman

Jedi Knight
I'd stick with a newer rangie. given the choice I usually drive our rangie before the wife's blazer.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Looking to buy something smaller to replace my '96 F150. Anybody had experience with Nissan or Toyota four-door pickups?
How about the Subaru Baja?

Mickey

Bret

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
Looking to buy something smaller to replace my '96 F150. Anybody had experience with Nissan or Toyota four-door pickups?
How about the Subaru Baja?

Mickey

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Mickey,

No real first hand experience with any of those ownership-wise.

So are you looking for a new or used truck? I ask only because the mid-sized segment of 4 door trucks has grown by leaps & bounds over the past few years and there are lot of fine examples out there ready to be had with four-doors.

As for Toyota Trucks: I am kind of bias against them for personal reasons, but my only real “contemporary” grip is the price vs. what you actually get. When I was looking at the mid-size segment a few years ago I looked at everything (yes, even the Nippon vehicles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif ). And as far as “Most Bang for the Buck” I would have to say that the Ford Ranger offered up far more than the Toyota did for the same price. An equally equipped Toyota truck cost far FAR more than anything else. While I’m sure many will tout the quality & reliability of the Toyotas over the competition, I say it is over rated. As it has been my experience that there is little difference between most trucks these days. Toyota to their credit has built a great reputation over the years for their fine products. But the rest of the automotive community has caught up. But today the mystique of Toyota trucks is highly over rated IMHO.

As for Nissan Trucks: I have no comments.

As for the Subaru Baja: Well they are cute, but they in a totally different segment than the others. Personally I can’t imagine that the hauling or towing capacity being remotely comparable to a real truck.

Personally I would suggest adding the following two vehicles for your consideration.

The Dodge Dakota – Powerful V6 & V8 opts. Almost a full size bed. I’ve rented a few of the crew cabs (4d) versions and loved the roominess and ride. Don’t know anything about the newest Dakota but it looks great and offers up more powerful engine options (No Hemi). If I wasn’t a full size guy this would be my personal choice.

GM has two new mid-sized Trucks this year (replacing the now dead S10 PU). The Colorado is one and the other name escapes me at the moment. I haven’t driven either of these but I think they are based on the new Trailblazer platform. Gobs of power and they kind of look cool.

Ford Rangers are another choice. I've owned two of them and have never had any major problems with either of them.

Good Luck!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
I'm driving a 2005 GMC pickup with an extended cab. I like it better than the Fords I had for company trucks the last couple years, mainly because the power door locks are far less anoying. They click on when you put it in gear, and unlock when you put it in Park. I hate automatic door locks, but my last company vehicle, a 2004 Ford Excretion, locked them at 15 mph or so, and you had to hit the button to unlock them. Frankly, I get paid to drive these trucks to and from work every day (My job actually doesn't require driving), and would not drive one without being paid to do so, and I don't have to buy the fuel for them either. Even a boring car like a Taurus or a Chrysler minivan is much nicer to drive than these things.

Bret

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
I hate automatic door locks,

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a sore subject for me too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif

I owned a lot of Fords (Currently have an 95 Explorer & 01 F-150 SC) and have rented a lot of them over the years. While the door locks are a bit annoying I don’t have any complaints.

Whereas GM products have always left me wanting more. I rent a lot of trucks from Enterprise and the trucks then tend to give me most are full size stripped down Silverados Extended cabs (w/rear “half” doors). Too many complaints to list and wouldn’t spend my own money on one. But one of my biggest complaints was that they didn’t come with a remote entry system & only had one key lock on the driver’s door.

So that meant that if you ever wanted to be the courteous gentleman type & open the passenger door for your wife. You’d have to go unlock & open the driver’s door first. Then hit the automatic door lock button to unlock the passenger side door – then run back to the other side to open the door for you wife. Kind’a takes away from the moment if you get my drift. Anyway, who says chivalry is dead? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hate automatic door locks,

[/ QUOTE ]

they didn’t come with a remote entry system & only had one key lock on the driver’s door.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine has the regular remote lock key fob. 1 click unlocks drivers side, 2 clicks unlock both sides.

I actually like that. I just don't like some programmer in detroit (or India) deciding for me when I want them to lock and unlock.

The GMC also has a V8 that has the tip in set very sensitive in the first part of throttle pedal movement. It gives you the impression that the truck is fast. Later you find out, while trying to pass, that it really hasn't got much over 75 or so. Speed just creeps up over 90.

A couple years ago I had an F-150 company car with a V6. It was a pooly equipped model, with no frills, but it was 4wd automatic with air. I beleive that it would about run with this GMC.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Bret -

Appreciate the input. Regarding the Baja, it is a different breed, and that's what's kind of appealing to me. I'm looking to downsize from the F-150, but I need a back seat. Also, don't need the towing capacity, as we've got an SUV that'll do what we need there. Thing is, the Baja costs as much as either the Toyota or Nissan truck, and isn't as versatile.

Looked at the Colorado, and the 4WD models list out at 31K!

Heard some bad press about the Dakotas, but then everyone's got their own stories.

Again, thanks for the input.

Mickey

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
I think the Baja is a very cool and would be a lot of fun to own. As long as you are fully aware of what it is and what it isn’t it could be very practical as well.

What it isn’t is a truck. Don’t even dream about trying to tow a ski boat or an LBC with one.

What it is is a Legacy Outback platform but instead of a hatchback or trunk it has an open bed.

Legacys are a lot of fun so the Baja should be too. (and you can toss grungy junk in the back without worrying about your upholstery.)

PC.