• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I think I have a screw loose!!!!!

77_MG_Midget

Jedi Trainee
I need to replace the screws that mount the handbrake assembly to the body mount (see pic). The screw is a countersunk phillips head machine screw, 8MM x 1.0 x 25mm (fine thread 8mm, 1" long). NOBODY seems to have these. Not British Tools and Fasteners or Bolt Depot. Certainly no one locally here in Las Vegas. Does anyone know where I may get these or what may be able to be substituted. I know a 5/16 SAE, fine thread is close, but really not a perfect match. I'm at a real loss... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Attachments

• 208553-SPM-041.gif
    208553-SPM-041.gif
    9.6 KB · Views: 85

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Only suggestion that comes to mind is Wurth fasteners. But they usually don't sell -one- of anything. Is there a shop in your area that services Euro cars? Check with them... Ooohh!! There's the "museum" near you. They *restore* cars. Go chat up somebody there!

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I had to replace those too, and they are a pain to locate. I wasn't going for originality and used a countersunk fine thread machine screw from Home Depot. Since the head wasn't completely flat but slightly rounded I had to use a Dremel to flatten the top so it would clear the handbrake lever. The screwdriver still fits though, so no biggie.

The bolts holding the bracket onto the body were a pain too; a couple of the captive nuts on the inside of the tunnel had snapped off, so it took some patience with a hacksaw blade to remove those. I just used regular nuts with the breaker bar shoved in from the front to hold them.

CK_1500

It's been a while since I've had the handbrake lever out, but I don't remember anything on my car being metric (except now for the repro ignition solenoid, but that's another story.)

That said, even McMaster Carr only showns 1.25mm pitch in 8mm machine screws, so they're no help either.

Sorry I couldn't be more help...

-=Chris

RobSelina

Jedi Warrior
yea, I don't see that spec being very likely. Are you sure it's metric? 5/16" fine thread seems much more likely....

Do you have a 5/16" tap? You could certainly make it 5/16" fine thread very easily /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Come to think of it, didn't the countersunk screws have separate nuts, and not captive ones? I seem to remember just getting nuts that matched the screws I bought (5/16" fine thread). Yes, someday I may be referred to as the DPO because I have a mixture of bolts and screws with threads that are different from what BL used. :p Usually I was more concerned with keeping things attached than originality, and it has had its share of captive nuts snapping off or bolts shearing off.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Nuts are not captive.

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Sorry Jack, I think I misunderstood your reply. My guess is you were referring to the nuts on the handbrake, and not nuts in general. My bad.

Morris

Yoda
At my local Lowe's there is this amazing rack of trays that has all kinds of crazy and unexpected fasteners. If you have not checked there, it may be worth a trip.

BTW, most everything on your car should be SAE. Does the 5/16 24 seem loose or tight? It may just be an issue of worn or rusty threads.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Because I can't recall Spridget spec's "off the top" it seems strange to have metric threads there (or anywhere) on an LBC. But because of the time it was built I figured it was possibly what they used. Earlier cars were decidedly SAE.

OP
77_MG_Midget

77_MG_Midget

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]
Nuts are not captive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks everyone for replying. Yes, all nuts are captive on the handbrake assembly. I haven't tried the 5/16 x 24 machine screw. I just used a thread pitch gauge to determine what type of threads they are. The SAE didn't seem to be exact, where the 1.00 MM pitch gauge seemed to be right on. Maybe I read it wrong. Anyway, I've looked at Lowes, Home Depot and the local true value (who has a great selection of weird nuts, bolts, etc). All have the 8MM x 1.25 (course thread metric), but not the 1.00 (fine thread metric). So maybe there's no choice but to try the 5/16 x 24.

I didn't give a 5/16 x 24 machine screw a try because I didn't think it was correct. But if others have used it, then sounds like that's my ticket. I'm not restoring to total stock, so being the "original" machine screw is not important to me. I was more worried about the screw backing out if I used SAE instead of Metric.

So hard to tell with the '77s. There's such a mix of SAE and metric, you don't know what your going to find.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
mine are not captive. shrug

Morris

Yoda
Early in my days of Midgeteering (aka about a year ago), I mistook quite a few 5/16 24's for M 8 X 1.0. At that time I assumed that becuase my car was Euro it was metric. Oops!

Consequently, if I ever sell my car to one of you guys, you are going to need a few metric tools...

Bugeye58

Yoda
An M8x 1.0 has 25.4 threads to the inch, and is commonly mistaken for a 5/16 x 24, by people who think that since it's a European car, it has to be metric.
Jeff

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Add to that the English were more err... *headstrong* over the "conversion" to The Metric System than we were, and there would be no way an LBC would have metric fasteners on it. I just could NOT be certain. I hate getting OLD. 5/16 NF. No metrics.

Thankyewverymuch, Jeff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

OP
77_MG_Midget

77_MG_Midget

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]
by people who think that since it's a European car, it has to be metric.

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif And that would be me for one...