• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A I need some TR3 measurements

rusty55

Jedi Hopeful
I'm trying to find a lift to stack cars in my garage. The TR3 is not here so I'm not sure of a few measurments. I need to know how high the hood is at the center of the front tire and how high the trunk area is at the center of the rear tire. The windshield height I have as well as the length and width.
Thanks for any help

OP
R

rusty55

Jedi Hopeful
Do I need to send someone a tape measure or this just how the new guys are treated? :smirk:

TFR

Jedi Trainee
First time I've been on line today so didn't see your post. Anyway, If I'm measuring as you describe the height would be 21-22".
Hope this helps, and as for treatment... Most everyone on this sight can be extremely helpfull but perhaps not in a timely manner.

OP
R

rusty55

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks buddy thats all I needed. I was just being sarcastic by the way.

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
rusty55 said:
Do I need to send someone a tape measure or this just how the new guys are treated? :smirk:
<span style="font-size: 20pt"> We usually ignore posts from new guys for at least a year...or maybe they just ignored ME...</span>

AweMan

Jedi Knight
Ever felt like a {Opps can`t say that word here} Calf in a Rainstorm?
B.T.W. Rusty55 Welcome to the Forum
I would have measured my 56 Tr for you but it currently has the engine out and the car is under a pile of stored items in my garage IE. Xmas stuff, blankets, light cardboard boxes and the like.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
AweMan said:
I would have measured my 56 Tr for you but it currently has the engine out and the car is under a pile of stored items in my garage
Ditto, except the 56 is about 12" in the air on jackstands, and the 59 is at least an inch shorter than stock due to shorter tires (not to mention wrecked and tied up in a bundle with rope so the neighbors don't complain).

Twosheds

Darth Vader
Too COLD to go out to the Lab to measure!

JFS

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
My TR3 is up in the air on my Backyard Buddy lift with my TR8 underneath and my Mazdaspeed 3 in front of the lift. I thought about grabbing a ladder to do the measuring, but decided to wait to see if someone else had easier access to their 3. Garage is quite full and the air quite cool here in Wisconsin.
Pay no attention to Yankee TR -- as you can see, we all have good excuses :smile:.

PeterK

Yoda
Here you go Rusty. Both points were measured at the centerpoint of the wheels as you requested. My tires are 205/60x15 so figure +- 1/2" overall

Rear 34-3/4"
I measured by placing a level yard stick across the rear cockpit surround - cockpit trim is removed so I measured the highest point of the sheet metal. Note that the fuel cap sits a little higher than this point. Also this point is in front of the trunk where the centerline of the wheel is.

Front 31-1/2"
I measured from where the fender attaches to the tub. i.e. highest point. But the hood was up and may be a little higher than the fender.

Sorry it took so long.

I'm also a VW bus lover from way back, I've owned several buses and more pre 67 bugs than I remember.

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
Rusty,
I get 33 inches at the front and 33 1/2 at the rear wheel centre. The height of the rear cockpit surround is 35 inches.
Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I have been in Portugal for the last week!
Nick

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
Hi Rusty,

On my TR3A with standard 165x15 tyres, the front dimension you asked for taken at the centreline of the wheel, from concrete to hood vertically is 33.75". The hood is another 2.75" higher again, further back at the vent slots.

At the rear, the centreline of the wheel is forward of the trunk scuttle, but the highest point there is the front edge of the fuel filler cap which is 35.75" above the concrete. The fuel filler is higher than the rear trim capping.

Sorry for the time delay but I've been away too.

Hope this helps,

Viv.

OP
R

rusty55

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks everyone. That was more responses any single guy could ask for. Very helpful