• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Heater Valve Leaking - Tip to fix

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Bugsy missed Brtitish Car Days in Dayton yesterday due to a leaking Heater Core Valve. I had started Bugsy Friday night to make sure I had oil in the carbs and discovered a major fluid leak on the heater shutoff valve. I thought it seemed very loose when I closed it down a few weeks ago.

I had replaced this valve 7-8 years ago so it should come loose fairly easily from the studs. I'm told it's a take to the local hardware store and find the proper sized O rings in the plumbing supply department. Anything else I need to know as a caveat in getting Bugsy back on the road.

I know already don't twist the hose that attaches to the heater to try and replace the heater hose. Cut it don't twist it.

BTW - Great LBC Show in Dayton yesterday. Unfortunately only 4 Sprites among close to 300 cars. Midgets I didn't see a one in attendance. Lots of Spits, more B's than I can count, and marque featured was Sunbeams. I counted 14 Tigers on the front line. 1st Saturday in August next year. Dayton, OH

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
You gotta be kidding me, no Midgets? Out of 300, wow.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It is just a valve, nothing more. Any plummer can help if you need help.

Country flag
I was planning on being there but I had a funeral to attend. They park the midgets away from th sprites so I'm sure there were some there.

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
Heater valve fixes.....
If it's leaking from the stem, there is a 1/4" ID "O" ring around the stem, take the valve apart and use a pick to remove the old rubber O ring, install a new O ring with a smear of grease on it and the stem and reassemble the valve.
Note, some of these valves are different. Most of the later ones are of this type but I have found some in my stash that do not have an O ring around the stem.

If it leaks at the valve/base, a common RUBBER garden hose washer will cure this.
Some teflon tape around the valve threads never hurts.

If it leaks at the base/engine, sometimes sanding out the pits on the bottom of the base helps, a belt sander will make it nice and flat in no time.

Sometimes the base is just so corroded, it's time for a new base, Vic Brit has em.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Will leak back from the heater mostly.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks Frank!!!

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Trevor,

We missed you. Did get to meet the guy from Cleveland who's been redoing a '62 Sprite for the last 7 years. He's planning on going to Elkhart Lake. Might have a lead on a barn find BE. That alone made the trip worthwhile.

bugimike

Yoda
walshja said:
My shutoff valve leaks, and will follow your tips in fixing tomorrow.

question, is the valve at a high point in the cooling system? or when removing it, will coolant leak all over the place?

The valve is at the highest possible point on the engine! As Jack said, expect coolant from the heater core though, which is higher!

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Just remember DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE HEATER HOSE FROM HEATER CORE BY TWISTING IT OFF. Don't ask me how I know!!!! Cut it off.

Working out of town. No time to get Bugsy running till next weekend. Really mad at myself for not having any time to keep Bugsy happy by drivin him regularly. Last two months commuting Dayton to Columbus almost daily, 90 miles one way, so time spent with Bugsy has been absolutely nil. After not driving him much the last two months I see why these cars go into garages never to start again. These cars need to be driven regularly to keep these little problems from cropping up. I went almost 1 year with never needing to refill dashpots as car got driven regularly. Not far but started and used to run errands. An strange issue with engine missing turned out to be dashpots really low on oil and I just filled them up < 6 weeks before.

Moral of the story - Get out there and drive!!! You're Spridget will love it, require less maintenance, and that smile will be back on your face once again.