• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Getting started with the MGB - first questions

RETNJ

I brought my early '74 MGB home today and got Historic tags at NJ MV h#&l. Joined NAMGBR and have a well-used Haynes manual. I bought it knowing that it needs:
- replacement of clutch slave cylinder
- air to get from heater to defroster (heater works just fine)
- repair or replacement of inop tach, or fix connections to it.
- troubleshooting of inop back-up light.

My first question is this? Is a Lockheed slave cylinder twice as good as the Moss or VB aftermarket cylinder?

I have good records for component changes but nothing for regular maintenance so will start with change of all fluids, lubrication, filters, etc. and start regular maintenance from zero. Anything to check other than the Haynes manual regular maintenance items?

What's the first thing to check for the tach?

This car has a Weber downdraft carb that seems to be running great.
Thanks.
BT

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
BT. I would think a part as simple as the slave does not have to be a OE part. Gordon at the b-hive had them on special not to long ago. Maybe still on sale? I would do the flex hose at the same time. I am not good at internal tach problems. I would check connections under the dash and at the distributor first. Good luck with the new toy. The backup lights plug in at the passenger side fire wall and run down past the starter. The car has a green and a green with ??brown tracer. They plug into just green wires if I recall correct. You can get to the switch from under the car but its going to be greasy. With the key on check for power at the GREEN wire in the harness. If you have power there put the car in reverse and check for power comming back from the transmission switch. (still at the firewall connections). If no power then its a switch issue. If you have power then head back to the actual lights out back. Check for power there. Bob

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Agree with Bob. Cheaper slave should be fine. I just did the clutch master cylinder on my '69 MGB this week. Even after a good number of tries bleeding air out of the slave, I still had air in the system. So I had a helper pump and hold clutch pedal down while I loosened the line at the master cylinder end. A messy result but that helped a lot by getting trapped air out at the upper end of the line. It's fine now.

Whenever I have a tach that dies, I find the wire from the ignition coil is loose or has come off. Check all wires attached to coil.

Check bulb and socket in backup light.

There was a very nice MGB for sale on Rt 206 (north or Princton) a few weeks ago. It was a rubber bumper car. Also, I see a red one parked in front of a pizza place in Hamilton all the time.
We're taking our's out tonight to Morristown and we're not bringing the top.....hope our NJ weather holds out!
grin.gif

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
BT, Here's a diagram of the heater/defroster setup. Might help you figure out the system. More than likely, you'll need to zoom in to view properly by right clicking, click view image and then zoom. PJ

MGBHeater2.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The flap to divert the air flow to the defrosters (deMISTERS, actually :wink: ) is a devilish bit of kit if the cable is the issue. Finding a mechanically skilled ten-year old is difficult. The cable is attached to the flap arm inside the right side heater outlet and patience is the most important tool you'll need.

davester

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Don't forget to check the ground wires. Almost every lighting problem I've ever had was either a corroded socket or a ground wire. Even if it looks good and lights up a test light, the ground connection may have enough corrosion/resistance to stop the flow of current needed to light up the backup light.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Too right, Dave.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
The flap to divert the air flow to the defrosters (deMISTERS, actually :wink: ) is a devilish bit of kit if the cable is the issue. Finding a mechanically skilled ten-year old is difficult. The cable is attached to the flap arm inside the right side heater outlet and patience is the most important tool you'll need.

Hooking up that cable is a very educational experience in learning more about the English language. You'll learn words you never knew existed. Keep the kids away while doing this task. It also helps to be double jointed! If you can do open heart surgery on a pi$$ ant, you'll have no problem. :devilgrin: PJ

PAUL161 said:
Hooking up that cable is a very educational experience in learning more about the English language. You'll learn words you never knew existed. Keep the kids away while doing this task. It also helps to be double jointed! If you can do open heart surgery on a pi$$ ant, you'll have no problem. :devilgrin: PJ

Beginning profanity can best be learned with windscreen frame to body seal installation and windscreen installation itself.

The heater cables are best left to those with "intermediate level profanity".

Country flag
rick_ingram said:
PAUL161 said:

Beginning profanity can best be learned with windscreen frame to body seal installation and windscreen installation itself.

So you can see why many a drunken sailor has owned an MGB! :laugh:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Silverghost said:
rick_ingram said:
PAUL161 said:

So you can see why many a drunken sailor has owned an MGB! :laugh:

and why many an MG owner has ended up a drunken sailer :cheers:

MGA75002

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"There ought to be a room in the every house to swear in." - Mark Twain

In my house, this room is the garage.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
As was mine growing up. Me Ol' Fella defined the rules: Garage was a place where the occasional profane epithet would be allowed (or overlooked, morelike) and the house or any other place more public and "mixed" it would be immediately and severely dealt with. Never was it tested.
I was twelve when this was "explained". :laugh: