• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A getting the circlip off 3rd gear

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I am having a difficult time getting the circlip off 3rd gear on this transmission that I am working on. I could not get the bearing of the back off the main shaft, so I am trying to remove the circlip to slid the gears off that way.

My snap ring plyers are not strong enough and broke. I am not sure what the tool looks like I need, probably so kind of needle noise plyer that works opposite, so they will open the clip in the confined space that it sits. Does any have a picture of some kind of tool that will work? The tool needs to be strong, so probably pricy, so I want to buy the right tool.

steve

Attachments

• DSCN1521.JPG
    DSCN1521.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 30

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
Go on the SnapOn site and look at SRP4. I bought one 55 years ago when employed as a BMC mech. Still have them, so I would rate "unbreakable". You may find a similar at NAPA. 85.00 ain't cheap, but as my poor old mother used to say (no, really), "If you need the tool, buy it".
Bob

CJD

Yoda
Country flag

You may still have to use a small screw driver to encourage the snap ring back once it is spread. This is the most difficult part of the entire tranny rebuild. I recommend buying a couple , as I often destroy them removing...and occasionally installing.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Also, post number 12 here shows how the end of the pliers look...

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Regardless of what tool you use, this part is critical and must be refreshed. If you spread it too
far with plyers it will be damaged. The Churchill tool is the bomb for sure. If you dont have
one, become friends with some one who does. He is certainly a cool dude! Failing this, be the dude!!
Mad dog

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
It's so easy you'll kick yourself when you see how. Go here:

and scroll down a bit.

Of course, the default option is to use the Churchill tool. But you might have trouble finding one.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Steve Maas is my new hero. What an amazing website! Thanks, Sarastro, for linking that.

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks you guys. It looks like the tool that bob posted is the older brother to the one John posted. I had reassembled that transmission out of a few I took apart 25 years ago to make a one good one. I forgot how difficult that clip was to remove. I took the transmission back apart to refresh my mind and see what shape the gears and stuff are in before I moved to the building one I want to use on this project. this trans had the old bearings and everything was scavenged

I got the clip out last night with a couple of semicircular picks and a long skinny screw driver. I took the ½ circular picks and put the tip in shaft grove between the clip and shaft then rolled the pick tip in behind the clip and that rolled the clip out of the grove on the open ends. From there I keep rolling the clip out and prying the clip up with the long screw driver. Of course this was after I broke my snap ring plyers and had a couple of nervous break downs. The circlip tool would be best and I will probably get one. I did not like the clip rubbing on the shaft. Oh yes MD I will be your Friend for a Churchill tool.

I had typed this up before I read the article Steve had posted. I pretty much did the removal the same way after 4 hours of failure. I will say getting the clip out that way is no fun either other than the final success. I will probably spend the money for the tool. Maybe, I am so cheap it hurts sometimes, but the tool will keep the drag off the shaft, but it depends on how well the tool holds onto the clip. When I did get the clip out of the grove, I slid the clip up by hand and I could not see any scaring. Replacing the clip is probably the correct way. I will buy one and look at, but the old slip did not lose its shape and the steel feels solid which will probably be more than the new one feels

steve

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I do not have this tool, but an old and dear friend does. I always take him a beer(home brewed).
I do his bodywork. He fixes triumph tranny's I wish I had the foresight to buy one back in the day
Mad dog