• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Garage Floor Vinyl

JFS

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Does anyone have a vynl covering on their garage floor? My floor is starting to disintigrate from the salt from my winter vehicle. The garage is about 25 yrs old and I don't want to go through the trouble of trying to clean it, treat it and epoxy it. The vynl covering I am considering comes in rolls of various widths and lengths; one brand is ribbed and is called Parking Parquet. The Garage Store also handles their version of it. I'm thinking this would not only protect the floor, but would also serve as a vapor barrier for my TR3 & TR8 over winter. Anybody know anything about these coverings?

Steve_S

Yoda
Those roll-up coverings are handy because you can take them outside to clean them up. If your floor is that dirty, epoxy may not be the best option. I've never used the rubber / vinyl pads but they look like a good option and aren't too expensive.

OP
JFS

JFS

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Bud - Thanks for the Ardex link. I would definitely consider it if my floor wasn't as old and oily/dirty as it is. The application requires the same preparation as epoxy or other coatings. What vapor barrier problems might one encounter with the vynl?

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
FWIW - The mats won't really act as a complete vapor barrier, because they don't cover the entire surface. Properly cured concrete, esp. in a garage, will usually not disintegrate even if it is 25 years old. Salt will not impact the surface, if salt contact is avoided for the first year.

I would assume there are other problems causing the disintegration, you might consider remedying the problem before addressing any surface repair.

The mats are a great interim solution, just don't count on them as a vapor barrier. If moisture is a problem, I would recommend running a dehumidifier.

Ardex is an excellent example, but is just one of a myriad of specialty toppings made for the situation you are describing.

A little extra effort to clean and prep for one of these toppings would be well worth the effort and would leave the floor more suitable for it's intended purpose of pampering your LBCs IMO.

Steve_S

Yoda
You can put epoxy even on the dirtiest floor with proper prep. Hiring a service to do it will cost several hundred dollars, but will come with a 5-year guarantee against peeling, lifting, etc.

Here is a photo of my floor shortly after being coated. This stuff is rock hard and unaffected by solvents, brake fluid, etc. A year or two later it still looks brand new.

DSCN2681.jpg

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And note, nothing on the garage walls, shoot mine are full, I need more walls.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Steve - what did you have to do to prep?

Steve_S

Yoda
Jack, the garage was still under construction. The walls are quite full now.

Tony, my floor was a new pour so no prep was necessary. But for this type of coating, an old floor will need to be cleaned of old surface contaminant by scraping, power washing or blasting. Then it is acid etched, then primed and finally painted in two coats. The stuff I used is the same thing you find on aircraft hanger floors. If hot aircraft tires don't pull it up, my MG tires certainly won't either!

You can see the progress of my garage here: https://www.mgnuts.com/garage

BizJetGuy

Jedi Hopeful
Steve - how slick is that when wet? I've contemplated doing the epoxy treatment after my resto is done but have heard horror stories of the floor being slick as ice when you drive in during rainy weather.

Steve_S

Yoda
You can specify sand additive, which makes for good traction no matter what is spilled on the floor. With no sand, it can indeed get very slippery. My floor has no sand because I find it more difficult to clean with the sand in the paint. I've never had a problem when pulling in after a rain, but if my feet are already wet then the first couple steps on the floor can be treacherous!