• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

OT - Finally got around to installing garage floor

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
Greetings

After freezing my butt off all winter long in the garage, I finally pulled the trigger on my plans to remodel to make it more comfortable. First step... get off the concrete! I spent yesterday morning laying down a new garage floor. I used Race Deck tile because on cold days it should raise the temp of the garage by 10 degrees - and it looks cool too :>) Would like to have done something a bit more definitive in terms of design and color but SWMBO encouraged me to stay safe.
Check it out if you like: https://tinyurl.com/5ezgwb

Cheers
Randy '66 BJ8, '68 XKE

Country flag
Randy, where do you get Race Deck? I am SUPPOSED to be building a garage this spring - long story, city officials involved - and would like to do as you did. Approximate cost?

Thanks,
Peter

OP
Randy Harris

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
Peter,

You can purchase Race Deck tile directly from the regional distributors (that's what I did in Northern Calif.) by going to their corporate website: www.racedeck.com The cost is about $4.00 per tile.

You can also buy this product online from a number of resellers, some of whom sell it a bit cheaper but may have limited color choices. Do a Google search for the best one.
Costco sells a similar product and there are a few others that make light weight garage tile flooring. I went with Race Deck because it came highly recommended by an fellow with an airplane hanger tiled wall to wall in it. Gets tons of abuse and still looks new.

Randy

OP
Randy Harris

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
The tiles are about 1/4" thick. Embossed on the top side to look like diamond pattern, waffled on the back to allow moisture escape and insulation from cold/heat.

There are edge pieces for the front of the installation. They transition the tile to the garage floor with a gentle curve down to the floor level. I started the floor at the base of the garage door so that when closed the rubber door seal sits slightly on the edge piece - keeps water and stuff out and seals beautifully.

Randy

CharlieCarpenter

Re: OT - Finally got around to installing garage f

Nice job Randy. I did my floor in graphite & gray last summer and it still looks great. Should have done it years ago what with all the time and money spent painting the flooring. I don't worry too much about cold down here in Florida.

dvu101

Jedi Hopeful

I painted my floor with the EPOX brand paint and followed the directions to a T. The first time I drove my AH and the muffler scraped the floor pulled up a big hunk. First time I pulled jack stand across it it scratched through the paint. Last week I jacked up the AH and the weight of the BIG healey on the jack wheels somehow damaged the paint and it is pulling up where the jack wheels had the weight. It cost me almost $300. Now how do I get it off the floor? Maybe cover it up?

OP
Randy Harris

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior

dvu101 said:
I painted my floor with the EPOX brand paint and followed the directions to a T. The first time I drove my AH and the muffler scraped the floor pulled up a big hunk. First time I pulled jack stand across it it scratched through the paint. Last week I jacked up the AH and the weight of the BIG healey on the jack wheels somehow damaged the paint and it is pulling up where the jack wheels had the weight. It cost me almost $300. Now how do I get it off the floor? Maybe cover it up?

Not at all uncommon with painted floors. My garage floor is so cracked and oil infused I knew that epoxy was not a good option. It looks beautiful when done well, but I've yet to see one that actually holds up well to abuse.

Randy

Country flag

You mentioned $4 per tile. There are two sizes of tile, 12 and 18 inch. Is that $4 per sq ft? About $1000 for an average garage? This could cut into my Healey parts funds.

OP
Randy Harris

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior

Yes, $4 per tile for 12" tiles. Because I have cabinets on 3 walls, my floor space has been cut down a bit. I think a typical 2 car garage is more like 18x20.
I do think you can shop them around and maybe get them for $3.75 ea.

Randy

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag

tahoe healey said:
You mentioned $4 per tile. There are two sizes of tile, 12 and 18 inch. Is that $4 per sq ft? About $1000 for an average garage? This could cut into my Healey parts funds.
Lowes Home improvement store has garage floor tiles for $2.53 a square foot. They are rubber type of material about 3/16" thick with a pattern on them. They are either 16" or 18" squares and colors are offered.
I'm plan on spending my savings on a cast aluminum oil pan.
Patrick

randy, that flooring looks good, the only concern i would have is that oil, water or any type fluid spill might ooze through the seams and remain under the tiles, do they seal well to each other? i just did the math and it would run me just over three grand to do my floor. :savewave:

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hi all,
Nice looking floor Randy.

There were some questions asked about the snap-in plastic floor type.

An alternative to the snap-in plastic floors, are the permanent painted on floors. I say painted rather than the term "Epoxy". The professionally installed garage floor products are now offered in more than the simple epoxy of days ago. For all you tech guys, how about these terms. Hybrid-Polymer based. Solvent Based. Polyaspartic-Solvent Based. The Hybrid-Polymer based product cures 2 times harder than Epoxy. (Higher impact & abrasion resistance, unaffected by hot tires). The company that applies that product puts in writing, a 10 year guarantee.

Here is some information, up front, in case the same may be asked about the "Epoxy" type.

1. No matter what your cement floor condition is in, oil stained, chips, cracks, they clean it (acid or grinding) and fill in so the floor is smooth.
2. The surface is resistant to chemicals.
3. Solid color or many different paint chip sizes and colors to choose from.
4. Satin or high gloss with a texture finish available.
5. You can use a jack and jack stands.
6. Cost is about $5.00 per foot, materials and labor included.
7. They do all the work and guarantee it for 10 years.

For about the same amount of money both product offer a nice looking garage.

The plastic offers a one day floor. You can take it with you when you move. You can design your floor.

The "Epoxy" is a three day install. You can pick your color, texture and amount of gloss. You can use a jack and stands without having to worry about if the plastic is going to break. Resistant to chemicals. All the fluid will get wiped up, not trapped under tiles. Costs about a dollar per square foot more than plastic.

There are many other options. Just as Lowes offers the large rubber tiles. Some companies offer thin rubber sheets, with different texture patterns. These sheets are large and they roll out. One roll may cover a single garage floor.

I think it's great that we take pride in our garage and finishing the floor adds a lot of eye appeal. Again, a very nice job Randy.

Happy motoring!
Roger

OP
Randy Harris

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
Roger, thanks for the compliment and for the information about this new company. 5 bucks a foot ain't cheap, but 10 yr warranty and someone else's sweat sounds good to me.

The Race Deck floor was a no brainer for my purposes because I was going for a very custom look and trying to normalize the garage floor temperature, keeping it warmer in winter and cooler in summer. My garage floor cement was improperly poured, not thick enough and actually has some moisture intrusion through the inevitable cracks. The tile floor makes that problem irrelevant. If insulation wasn't my main goal, Epoxy or this new applied floor product would have been the 1st choice.

A few years ago my brother laid down the wide sheet goods that Roger mentioned. It lasted less than a month because it kept rolling up under the tires and moving around leaving bumps and ridges. Can't recommend that one. Last summer my neighbor used the Epoxy from Home Depot and it's already peeling up under his tires. I guess very careful prep is the key here.

Randy

OP
Randy Harris

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior

anthony7777 said:
randy, that flooring looks good, the only concern i would have is that oil, water or any type fluid spill might ooze through the seams and remain under the tiles, do they seal well to each other? i just did the math and it would run me just over three grand to do my floor. :savewave:

A seriously large liquid spill (like a gallon) might result in a tiny amount of liquid seeping through the seams. Oil and grease from normal dripping Brit cars just pools on the tile and wipes up with a paper towel. You can always take the floor apart in sections and clean up the mess if it's really bad. My garage floor is so nasty from 3 decades of oil and grease that it would have to be an EPA emergency toxic cleanup before I'd pull the tiles up however.

Hey, I just did the calculations, you have a 750+ sq ft garage!
Now that's a garage...

Randy

Ed Kaler

Jedi Warrior

Floor

This is an example ( see the II one towards bottom of page) that we did our finished basement Family Room with.

Very rich color, harder than anything (I have dropped some serious heavy things a couple of times :hammer: w/o chips, dents, nada), textured which does make it non-slip (even in wet sneakers
grin.gif
) but can be walked on bare foot!!!

I'll see if I can find install pics. It is BEAUTIFUL!!! Wife choose the colour to match the room.

My shop IS next :cowboy: :crazy:

:cheers:
Ed