• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Front grille/cowl fitment question

RickPA

Country flag
Having my BJ8 restored and visited the car today. The grille surround and cowl are on but the cowl doesn't seem to conform to the surround properly. Each side of the surround flares away from the cowl about 1/4 inch where the cowl turns downward at the corners. I looked at other cars in the shop and they all do it but I don't remember seeing gaps on my original. I didn't think to ask to see my original while at the shop.

The new parts came from AH Spares. Are there supposed to be flares there or should the surround tightly grip the cowl all the way through? Sorry I couldn't give a better description. (and for the pic being sideways) Thanks

20170328_124408.jpg

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Rick,

Sorry, but I must be missing something as I do not see the issue when viewing your photo. Can you provide close-ups of the areas of concern?

Marv,

You have done some vary nice work.

As I understand, the outer panel stampings, including components for the front shroud and grill opening, were not perfectly formed assemblies and the product of the same forms (without being renewed) used throughout the big Healey run where ever possible. Add the lack of perfection and hand assembly of trim components and you have less than consistent product output having a varying level of quality in production.

When taking delivery of my new 1964 BJ8P1, the front fenders were almost 1/4" higher then the doors. However, in my enthusiasm I totally overlooked this issue.

Today's "Restored" cars are often assembled and presented at a level of quality far greater then when New and, in many respect are more a reflection of a fictional vision held by their owner. I am not just talking about a nice paint job or good body fit but how the car is presented in all aspects and areas of operation ... total presentation. I applaud the work done and believe a category should be created for Healeys that have far exceeded the level of production quality produced by the factory and presented to the public. I appreciate that the term "Restored" has become ubiquitous in meaning, however, it does not afford the level of recognition deserved for this evolution.

Just my thoughts,
Rat(64BJ8P1) since new

Last edited:
OP
RickPA

RickPA

Country flag
Hi guys

Thanks for the replies. Marv, mine does look like yours from a distance and I should have taken more detailed photos of the areas. But these are great guys to work with who have done a lot for me and was playing down the issue until it started bugging me in the way home. As I understand it the rolled lip of the surround fits over the cowl when installed. In my situation that rolled lip is not following the shape of the cowl at the "corners of the mouth". Instead of following the curve of the cowl tightly there is a gap on each side where the surround does not follow the cowl shape closely enough.

I suggested the shop compare my original parts to the replacements and that maybe just some hand fitting would fix the issue. If need be I'll go back there and take more detailed photos.

Rick

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
64 BJ8 original cowl/lip and mouthpiece repaired and rechromed .
reproduction parts simply dont cut it , they are cheaply made and rarely fit . Your better off spending the extra $$ and using the originals if possible .

Attachments

• IMG_0026 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0026 - Copy.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0021 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0021 - Copy.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0032 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0032 - Copy.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 81

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Rick,

If any part of the forward portion of the top chrome cover of the surround is not set into the rolled lip, then it should be corrected. The first picture of my original grill/surround presents my presents one side of the grill surround although reflection has encumbered a clear presentation of that fact. Additionally, picture 2 and 3 show the area that was painted silver to diminish reflection of the grill and have it verticals appear as if they were bent.

IMG_0667.jpg IMG_0671.jpg IMG_0669.jpg 100_0277.jpg

Hope this is clear,
Ray(64BJ8P1)