• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

fender bead

Greg_Blake

Jedi Hopeful
does anyone have pictures of the fender piping sold by Moss for the TR2? I beleive this is the grey plastic type instead of the stainless or chromed plated metal type.

I would like to see what the plastic type looks like and how it attaches to the fender before I purchase it.

Thanks,

Greg

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I haven't seen it myself, but I'd like to. The original beading on my 2 was vinyl that was color matched to the paint (Geranium). What I plan on doing for my resto is painting the stainless bead (after proper prep of course) as I hope that it will be a little easier to remove the nose without cracking all the paint off in the future. And paint dosen't tend to like to stay on the vinyl beading forever either.
Still, I'd like to see the repo stuff. the original had a wide, continuous, tab coming off the bottom that got pinched between the body panals , much like older American cars, or VW Beetles. It had to be trimmed to go around tighter corners.

Lou Metelko

Jedi Trainee
Not sure of where Moss orders the TR2 beading but all of the 2s that I am familiar with all received the beading from a source in England. The beading comes in only two colors, black or white and must be painted your body color. A firm by the name of "Wollies" comes to mind but no guarantees so I will find their catalog in the morning. Cost was minimal and the shipping was more than the product.

Banjo please don't take the easy route and paint the later stainless beading. The correct plastic beading is much wider than the stainless and in my opinion will look lousy.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana
54 TR2LD TS981

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Over 20 years ago, a friend and fellow local club member restored TS 5xx L. At the time, he couldn't find a source for the beading, so he actually had made an extrusion mold based on a small section of original beading. I don't remember if he still has the mold or if he sold it on. He does still have the car, I think!

Lou Metelko

Jedi Trainee
Greg & Banjo:

As promised, I found the info on the source for the beading on a TR2. As I guessed last night, the company name is "Woolies" and they are located in "Market Deeping, Nr. Peterborough, England". (thought I had better put the address in quotes, especially the city name!) Their web site is www.woolies-trim.co.uk The piping had their catalog number of 274-WH (assuming the WH signifies white. I ordered a continous piece of the seven meters - far too much, I knew, but better than being a foot short! Cost for the seven meters was 0.77 (Sterling) per meter plus 6.61 (sterling) for shipping.

I have found pieces of the piping from Woolies so if either of you want a sample just send me your mailing address.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Lou, excellent site!!! thanks for the link. They also have the piping for re-doing interiors.
But I still worry about paint adhering to the PVC piping. I know I can make it stick pretty good to the SS. (and I already have a new set of SS piping I got at a really good price)

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
Are you sure it is meant to be painted? I thought that it was just a close colour match. I think I would be tempted to try and colour it before fitting using something like Vynil Coat if that is still available.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Hmmm... Yesss... Buy the white beading, and dye it to match.... That may work. I'm just worried about color fastness. what happens after lots of sun exposure?
Nick, you are correct, the original was not painted. I have pieces of my original beading, and it is color matched itsself.(not just close, its dead on!) It was not painted. But all that is available now (that I've come across so far) is white or black.
My plan for my car is either signal red or British Racing Green. I just can't bring myself to do the original Geranium color it was. think "50s coral". it's that nasty pastel reddish pink. blech!!!
I know red and green are the most popular colors, but I cant come up with any other original colors I like as much. and I plan on keeping this car a looong time. so it needs to be somthing I like.

Lou Metelko

Jedi Trainee
The beading on my TR2 was painted seperately. The panel beater / painter that I used said that was done to "modify" the paint so that it would adhere to the vinyl. What that "modification" was I don't know but five years later the beading has not chipped or cracked and the nose has been off twice.

Banjo, I really feel that you should reconsider Geranium. For the recognized, correct shade of Geranium go to www.trregistry.com / click on TR2 / click list entries / click TS111L . I am sure the owner would share the formula for Geranium.

When I bought my TR2, I was not to keen to read on its Heritage Certificate that the color was Ice Blue but having bought the car there was never a doubt that it would be that color. Again, five years and 20,000 miles later I am still absolutely thrilled with the finished product.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Not sure I'd want the color on a new car, but I think those old colors look very good on the early TRs. Certainly stand out anyway. Here's one I snapped last year:
TR2-GeraniumlooksGreat.jpg

Randy

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
It may be worth asking on the TR Register Forum. (If I am allowed to promote the opposition!) There are a good number of TR2 over here and 99.9% of them have been restored.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
That's not the best picture, but that TR2 is likely a Register car, I took the shot at Brooklands. If I squint the fender beading does indeed look painted body color.

Randy

D

DougF

You would be the only one in the neighborhood to have a geranium TR2. A friend of mine painted his to original geranium. He was going to go with red, and as a result has a dove gray interior instead of geranium. He is aware of only one other geranium car in the states.
It's a love it-hate it period color.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
I also happen to like Geranium on the early long-door cars. But cheer up: we could all be trying to convince you to go with Olive Yellow! On the other hand, Olive Yellow isn't too far from some of today's...er...brighter yellows. :wink:

Oh, and it was a Geranium TR2 on the color cover of the April 1954 issue of <span style="font-style: italic">Road and Track</span>. See an image of the cover here.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Nope... can't do the Geranium.( especially now that I've seen some good pics) It dosen't look bad, but I just don't like it very much. My Tr2 is not all original anyway. the original engine is gone. in its place I have a TR4A engine and full syncro Trans, (from a 66 I parted out) and the TR3 front plate to make it fit. Also TR3 intake and SUs to fit under the bonnett. It's already been givin the later TR3 rear axle somwhere along the line, and I will be fitting it with TR4A disc brakes, and probably master cylinder, for some added safety.
and the front apron is actually an small mouth TR3 apron that will be modified slightly to be the correct TR2 style (trim around opening, grill attaching points)
So, 100% originality is already out the window. I don't do the whole show thing...I drive. My kind of trophies are the clollection of bugs and chips in the paint, the brake dust in the spokes, and the worn out pedal pads. I do want it to be visually accurate from the exterior though. at least as much as possible. So I'm still open to fender beading stuff.
I guess with the proper flex additive the PVC beading would hold paint ok. Most of the "chipped" beading I see is stuff that was painted because it was too much work to keep it from getting painted. Not that it was really on purpose.