• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Denis Welch Vernier Cam Sprocket

MCS

Jedi Warrior
Hello,

I have fitted my Dennis Welch vernier camshaft sprocket on my 29f BJ7 engine today. If I use the original lock washer the nut does not thread completely onto the camshaft. I have taken the lock washer off and used blue locktite and torqued the nut to 100 lbs, just wondering if others have had the same problem. If yes what was your solution. I am nervous about not using the lock washer, any comments on my solution would be apreciated.

Thanks Phil

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I am nervous about not using the lock washer, any comments on my solution would be appreciated.Yep that would worry me to death- :laugh:

First, make sure the washer was a British one they are thinner than ours.If not get a good British one and try again,

Second, if washer thickness [ Wrong Type ] is not the problem I would use a bevel washer then lock tight.--Fwiw--Keoke

OP
M

MCS

Jedi Warrior
it has a beveled washer which sits on top of the gear, covers the holes which are used to degree the gear. I am using a stock British lock washer. I think I had better email DW and find out what they do. Still hoping someone else has had the same problem and can give me the DW fix.

Thanks Phil

tonyk

HI to MCS and others

Regarding the lockwasher problem - did you get a saisfactory reply from DWR?

I ask because I have a similar problem with the vernier gear, but sourced from AHSpares.(Probably all from the same factory).

Anyway, I rang them earlier and guy there asked around several engine builders and they all replied that Loctite (red or blue) was what they

used , although one chap said he drilled a channel for a lockwire as well.

Looks that is the only way to do it.

AJAX50

Country flag
Slightly off topic, if you have not done so, get a DW timing chain cover so that you can adjust the venier easily.

OP
M

MCS

Jedi Warrior
Hello,
DW told me to lock wire the nut. I sent them this picture and DW told me it looks good.
Cheers Phil

IMG_3685.jpg

tonyk

Oh Good!

It looks like I've done much the same as MCS. I drilled a 2mm channel across a flat/angle of the nut and put in a lock wire, twisted around a spoke on the cam gear (didn't fancy drilling through an expensive gear). I also sealed the nut thread with Loctite.

I don't know if this is overkill as rotation is in the tightening direction. But easy done and peace of mind.

OP
M

MCS

Jedi Warrior
Hello tonyk,

You said it "Peace of Mind" IMO it is a bit archaic, with all of the technology out there, but I am just an enthusiast.

Phil

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I don't mean to be picky, the lock wire is the good choice, but if you had your pick of "spokes " to run the wire to, why did you not use the nearest spoke in the tightening direction. You now run the small risk of having the braid pop off the side of the nut and become useless or even do some harm if it hits something causing some damage? The shortest piece of safety wire you can use is most often the best course.