• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Denis Welch mild cam

Country flag
Just got mine a couple weeks ago and haven't had it installed, yet. Will say it looks like a sweet piece of engineering and construction, and the speed shop building my engine was impressed. It's supposed to be 'slightly better than a stock BJ8 cam;' the spec sheet--I think it's on the DW site somewhere--shows just a but more duration and lift. Note it comes as a kit; you have to choose standard or bucket lifters (included in the price).

The DWR guys are online during normal business hours in the UK, and are helpful. Tell 'em I sent ya ;)

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Steve,

As you know, DWR has supplied me with much info and parts. They are also the first sponsor to International Healey Week 2017, so I give them high marks.

My cam is the DWR-8 cam requiring the pockets, so I can't help with the mild cam.

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Steve,

What set up do you currently have? Is it the standard 100-Six cam with twin 1 3/4 inch carbs? If so then you should notice a nice improvement with the DWR 'mild cam'. On the other hand I had the DWR8 cam with twin 2 inch carbs and found that to be a terrific combination for a fast road set up.

OP
steveg

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Steve,

What set up do you currently have? Is it the standard 100-Six cam with twin 1 3/4 inch carbs? If so then you should notice a nice improvement with the DWR 'mild cam'. On the other hand I had the DWR8 cam with twin 2 inch carbs and found that to be a terrific combination for a fast road set up.

Derek - I have a Mk1 3000 engine with hi-lift rockers, HD8s on a DMD manifold and Kirk tube headers. 28% Toyota trans on 3.54 axle.

How do you feel the DWR8/HD8 setup does with keeping low-end torque?

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hey Steve,
Since you have high lift rockers, Denis Welsh's claim of no pocket ports needed may be negated. Not unail the math is done with their cam dimensions.

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The DWR8 is very good at keeping low end torque. Its good from about 1200 revs, with a flat torque curve. The DWR2 rally cam is not so good at the low end but delivers more power higher up..

John French

Freshman Member
Country flag
I just got mine running after installing one of those cams but have to finish off some other items before being able to drive it. One thing I had to do was get a vernier sprocket to get it to time up correctly so it ended up being a considerable investment.
I'm about 15 miles west of you if you'd like to hear her run.