• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

dealer

needahealey

Freshman Member
Hello all
I don't know if this is appropriate but would like to know if anyone has had anydealings with Gullwing Motorcars in Long Island,NY. They have a car that seems to be in my price range but I'd like to know if they are reputable.
Thanks
Jeff

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I have been there but not bought a car. They had the biggest bunch of old cars in various states of repair, crammed together with not space to walk around the cars. They represented the car I was looking at as having come from Arizona. I don't know if that was true. The engine was in the back seat with misc parts all over the place. I think if you can find one that is till all together and the price is right, you can deal with them. They seem to buy a lot of them from estate sales. More than half were in need of restoration. Some were ok, I would see them in person before I buy.

Jerry

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Can't really say Jeff, They do not have an onsite dealer rating on the web.However, I suggest you do a Google search for "Austin Healey" and compare what numerous other dealers have for sale against the one you are contemplating purchasing.---Fwiw---Keoke

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Car dealer, reputable. I don't think I've ever heard those words in the same sentence.

Seriously Jeff, some dealers are straight. I don't know about Gullwing. Have the car checked out by an independent mechanic. There are guys out here, who will check the car for you and let you know where it stands.

However, your right back in the boat with the "salesman" being how honest is the "mechanic"?

Maybe there is a Healey owner in Long Island, aka Long Guyland, that can help you. If your a member of the Healey club, they have a small book which lists members, what they own, where they live. Maybe a Healey owner can recommend their mechanic or look the car over for you, if their qualified.

Helpful?

Good luck Jeff.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Jeff, here is another thought; For a few hundred dollars~350.00 you can have the car you pick appraised by a professional with no interests in the dealership at all.It is worth the cost to avoid spending thousands for a lemon.--Fwiw--Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

P.S. Heed what "Jerry" has to say about them its my impression too!--Lotsa junk

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Sorry, no dealings with that establishment. L.I. City is in Queens, across from the East River from Manhattan, lovely view. It will cost you about $12 in tolls just to visit. Anyhow, I checked their website and I would think cars of similar ilk are out there from private sellers. I have to believe you will pay a substantial "tax" buying from a dealer, especially one located in the Big Apple. Just a NY boy's $0.02 - PS, best are in the west.

OP
N

needahealey

Freshman Member
Thanks all for your help. I'll take a ride to see what things look like and then make some decisions (similar to wife...car...wife...car post!)

Ed Kaler

Jedi Warrior
Jeff:

First, Welcome to the "sickness"!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Second, PLEASE join BOTH National AH Clubs before you do anything!! Both of their mags have GOOD cars for sale ALL the time!! Members are almost to a man more than willing to look at a car for you no matter WHERE it is!!

As an example, The Camino you see Here was "looked" at by a Club (both) Member which played GREATLY in me making an "educated" purchase from IL in CA!!!

Worth it's weight in GOLD!!!

Off hand, I would say your trip to LI is not worth the cost, but........ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Regards...........
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif
Ed

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'd have to agree the best cars are to be found outside the Northeast. $0.02 FWIW

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Q: What do you drive?
A: 1964 Austin Healey 3000 MK III, Sports Convertable
Were you expecting a one word answer?

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, you forgot Phase II, BJ8. Do you have to pay by the word?

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...They represented the car I was looking at as having come from Arizona...

[/ QUOTE ]

I moved here from the Midwest. I guess if I ever sell my cars they will all be 'from Arizona'.

40 or 50 years ago there weren't a lot of people in Arizona, much less a lot of cars.

One clue to look for when an Arizona origin is claimed is that it was pretty common practice for Arizona cars to be sold w/o heaters. In the case of Triumphs (and probably others) the dealer would typically remove the heater before selling the new car.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
well Geo,that might hold water down there in the flat lands, but if U be north of Yarnell Hill you will need a heater and a pair of skis too.Wonder what them dealers were doing wid them old heaters won't fit nothin else??.--Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif-AZ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cowboy.gif

P.S. 40 or 50 years ago there weren't many people in Arizona-Sure was nice back then too.--Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

needahealey,not to long ago a friend wanted me to look at a "mini cooper s" he was thinking of buying he took me to "gullwing" to look at it two words "STAY AWAY"

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yep Anthony, I know about them fellas too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif---Keoke