• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Up-date on US Triumph dealer

• Thread starter Deleted member 3577
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3577

Update on US Triumph dealer

I got the following E-mail from Bob yesterday....

You may remember him from.
https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/210092/page/24#Post210092

Hi Dave and best wishes for 2007,

Remember me? I’m the guy from Holland who got sent this bad TR 250.
At the moment I’m working on the car. It is inside my house so I don’t get cold.
Everything that has to do with rolling and braking is checked and replaced by new stuff if necessary.
Sometimes when I can’t help but see the bodge repairs to the chassis, sills and inner wings, my heart sinks.
Fortunately a friend, the retired bodyman, will look at this after winter.
I happened to look at eBay Triumph the other day and have the impression our friend from North Miami is at it again.
He calls himself Atlanticblue305 and has clocked up a reasonable history by buying and selling small stuff.
I have also seen that he has had a conflict (probably over a bigger object) and has had to settle to save his feedback.
He has advertised with a ‘superb white TR3B’ and a ‘black beauty TR3A’. No one has bid so far.
Why don’t you guys send him an e-mail to go and see the car. Maybe he’s still at his 1935 NE 153rd Street North Miami Beach address.

Greetings,
Ben Schoonbeek

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
Re: Update on US Triumph dealer

Atlanticblue305 - hasn't anyone else notice that he buys up cheap TRs and then sells them again about two weeks later all beautifully repainted! I once enquired about a car he was selling and he was very defensive, so I gave it a miss. That TR3B was offered on eBay a couple of weeks ago by the previous owner. It attracted no bids at $15,000. I see atlanticblue305 is saying that he took it as a trade-in. I somehow doubt that. He also trades under other names, but unfortunately I can't remember them. He will also never disclose the VIN (other than on the TR3B), as then people may recognise the wreck that was bought a few weeks earlier.
It is easy to recognise the cars he is selling as they are usually photographed in the same location.
I hate the new secret system on eBay whereby you can't see who is bidding for a car. Just before they introduced that atlanticblue bought quite a number of rough TR3s, so look out for them all shined up soon.

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

I wasn't looking to buy but often send an email to someone that advertises "totally original car" and then the first comment is new paint job. I emailed him and pointed out the discrepancies in the photo's, elec fuel pump, replacement interior seats/carpet, unusual device on the intake, amco side screens, etc.
His response "Yea, other than that it's all original" and that was from 5 pics alone (white TR3).
Always get an inspector. I came close to getting ripped buy another North Florida guy, could be the same guy with a new ebay handle.
The inspector told me (besides what a POS the car was) that the guy had 4 other Brit cars he was cosmetically repairing (bondo, new paint only) and they would all be 1 owner cars soon.

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker

NickMorgan said:
Atlanticblue305 - hasn't anyone else notice that he buys up cheap TRs and then sells them again about two weeks later all beautifully repainted! I once enquired about a car he was selling and he was very defensive, so I gave it a miss. That TR3B was offered on eBay a couple of weeks ago by the previous owner. It attracted no bids at $15,000. I see atlanticblue305 is saying that he took it as a trade-in. I somehow doubt that. He also trades under other names, but unfortunately I can't remember them. He will also never disclose the VIN (other than on the TR3B), as then people may recognise the wreck that was bought a few weeks earlier.
It is easy to recognise the cars he is selling as they are usually photographed in the same location.
I hate the new secret system on eBay whereby you can't see who is bidding for a car. Just before they introduced that atlanticblue bought quite a number of rough TR3s, so look out for them all shined up soon.

I will not buy from ANY "private listing" auction....the seller ALWAYS has something to hide...like shill bidders, etc. But this system has been in place for a long time.

I often communicate with other bidders who are trying to buy the same item I am. Sometimes to warn them of a shady deal...other times to ask them their real opinion of the item. Most of the time the other bidders are pretty good about talking...some just blow you off...

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight

I notice that black car has dealer plates, though I am not sure how easily obtained these may be in Florida.

He also says its an older paint job, and he will provide receipts for the work done on the car, which doesn't sound like a quick bondo and paint job; or maybe I am naieve?
Simon.

Tomster

Jedi Knight

Could anyone just clog up the bidding by repeatadly entring bids at 1 cent below the reserve?

tomshobby

Yoda

It never ceases to amaze me how hard-working people that earn their money and save so they can buy things they dream of turn around and trust these song and dance scam artists so readily. I can tell you about my own father and an offshore bank scam if you think a few thousand is a lot.

Don't get me wrong, I think these scammers should be dealt with severely. But they only exist because the marks are so easy and eager to be relieved of their money.

While even the most careful person can be cheated, those falling for these scams because they do not check out the vehicle and only take the word of the scammer pretty much get what they have coming. There are warnings for scams of every type these days and still people seem to hold the naive belief that it will not happen to them. Who is a potential scammer? Everybody, until proven different, maybe why banks do credit checks.

I have posted a purchaser check list here and on other sites and I am certain that the people being cheated did few if any of those checks. While I have empathy, I have no sympathy.

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

Has anyone on this forum ever bought a car on EBay that was as good as advertised?

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag

I bought mine site unseen off Ebay ( Fla. Car)
i got a pretty good deal, about what I expected... BEFORE
71tr6restoration016.jpg

AFTER
tr68.jpg

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

bobh said:
Has anyone on this forum ever bought a car on EBay that was as good as advertised?

Truth be told, yes. Was it what I had hoped? No. Therein lies the difference, sometimes...

Like it is said so often, "Caveat emptor." As long as you're careful and do all you can to verify, I don't think it's very different from any other long distance transaction.

Mickey

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior

Neither of the cars I bought on Ebay were what I had hoped for. I even had one of them looked at by a Triumph owner who said it was "pretty much" rust free.

I guess "pretty much" is locally subjective.

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker

Yep....'95 Lincoln Mark VIII...'95 Lincoln Continental...'47 Plymouth...'98 F-150...'54 TR2...the list IS longer...

Dan_Pasta

I "accidently" bought mine from E-Bay. I was just submitting dummy bids WAYYyyyyy below what I thought the car was worth just knowing that I would come under the reserve ....... or surely get out bid. I didn't know how E-bay worked, so I was just "practicing" for when I would be ready to really buy.

As it turns out the guy HAD to dump the car so he had no reserve (I didn't even know you could do that), and I guess grey just is not a popular color because I wasn't outbid.

But the story has a happy ending .... the car was as good (if not better) than advertised, everything on the car is original (even one of the tires) so I ended up with a "collector" for way less than I expected to pay for a daily driver.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

I bought my Cortina MKIII after it was on eBay.
I offered about 1/2 what they were asking.
The owner contacted me a little while after the auction
ended,telling me that he'd take my offer.
I flew up to Victoria,British Columbia,& got to look at
it before I bought it.I think I got a good deal,& it
seemed to be reasonably represented.

- Doug

r66

I got my TR4A on Ebay. It was only 100 miles away so I went and looked at it. It was as advertised and as expected. Things worked out ok- at least this time.
Ron

spooch22

I got my 70' TR6 on ebay. It was in Nebraska. I paid way less than I ever would have here in NJ. Rust free as advertised,two owners and documentation. The car was shipped by Reliable Carriers and arrived early. The guy I bought from was easy to get a hold of and I trusted him from our many conversations. You have to use your best judgement.

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

I've purchased two vehicles on ebay. If you are buying from a dealer it's safer as they have a rep to maintain.
I bought one from a dealer that had some unidentified issues but he made them right by paying for the repairs (gauge rebuild) and rear half shaft replacements (before I'd post feedback).
The other I had inspected prior so there were no surprises, I knew exactly what I was getting.

OP
D

Deleted member 3577

I think the point here is....Most of us have bad judgment due to the fact that our purchases are inspired by the selfless love of LBC's

NO ONE should violate this sacred hobby by pretending to be a loyal devotee.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag

<span style='font-size: 20pt'>BUILT TO DRIVE!!!</span> <span style="color: #CC0000"> </span> <span style='font-family: Arial Black'> </span>