• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Cleaning the transmission on a TR6?

cmacmillan

I bought a 75 that runs quite well but has been in storage for 12 years with little-to-no maintenance done to it. Question at the moment is, the tranmission needs fluid (overdrive works well, amazingly...want to keep it that way) - It surely needs to be cleaned, but how? I read something about running automatic fluid to flush it before adding the new fluid...what's the experience with cleaning a Jtype-OD trans?

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
I'd simply allow the old fluid to drain overnite and refill with SAE 50 non-detergent as this seems to be the lube of choice for od units.

You can always run it for some miles and drain and refill again.

D

DougF

I would agree. If when draining, the lube is dirty, you have problems. Transmissions are pretty well sealed and don't get dirty inside. You may get some water from condensation, but I doubt it would be enough to cause concern. I'm not as familiar with the J types, but they probably have a filtering screen similar to the A types. Clean the screen of all metal shaving before adding new oil.
Enjoy your car.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The J-type actually has two filter screens, plus a magnet to clean. You'll need a special tool to get to the "high pressure" screen though, so I wouldn't bother unless the low pressure screen (under the plate) has junk in it.

Don't really want to reopen the OD lubricant wars; but I think you should know that Triumph recommended gear oil, and IMO they had a valid reason for doing so. Using non-detergent will (again IMO) shorten the life of the gearbox, and when it goes the OD will need to be rebuilt anyway.

Personally, if it works well, I wouldn't try to flush it with anything. Just drain at both places (OD & gearbox) and refil with the lubricant of your choice. A magnetic plug for the gearbox is a good idea too (in addition to the magnetic strip that should be inside the OD sump).

R

RonMacPherson

After you've drained it and decided which oil to reinstall(I give credence to Quantum owner, he has some experience and with LBC's, that to me is primary over what engineers were deciding 60 years ago with different lubes and materials), the overdrive is filled through the trans; after you fill the trans to where it is flowing out of the fill port, let it sit for a while-15-30 minutes. Then check again. You might want to engage the gears and run it in overdrive after the 2nd top up, then recheck and fill it up, just to completely fill it.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
RonMacPherson said:
(I give credence to Quantum owner, he has some experience and with LBC's, that to me is primary over what engineers were deciding 60 years ago with different lubes and materials
If you poke around on his website, you'll also find his article on how the countershaft bearings always fail on TR6 gearboxes ... which oddly enough is exactly the reason Triumph gave (unofficially) for changing their recommendation (less than 50 years ago) to gear oil. As John points out, Triumph certainly knew how to strengthen the countershaft bearings, since they did so for the Stag. But, the gear oil solution worked well enough for the TR6 that they never copied the Stag countershaft over and continued building two different gearboxes (even though most of the other components were made common across all 'big' Triumphs).

And while lubrication technology has certainly advanced, non-detergent motor oil is still the same as it's always been. The advances are in the additives and synthetic base stocks; but ND 30 doesn't have any of those.

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
TR6BILL said:
YankeeTR said:
SAE 50 non-detergent

I think that should be SAE 30wt non-detergent.
Yeah...you're right. That's what you get when you let a senile old man on a computer.

Anyway, just to mix things up, I'd use GM Syncromesh fluid...it's what Gear Vendors uses in their J-type overdrives right from the factory. It has the EP additives that gear oil has but is much improved.

OP
cmacmillan

cmacmillan

Not to change the topic of my original question, but is anyone running 20W50 in a TR gearbox? I came across a posting somewhere that said a shop showed some guy a fax from Laycock de Normanville saying to use 20W50 in their gear boxes as the 90 gear oil was too heavy and wearing the gearboxes prematurely.

Thanks for all the posts...please keep posting on the fluid issue or the cleaning/flushing a gearbox.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
cmacmillan said:
is anyone running 20W50 in a TR gearbox?
Sure, lots of people are. Herman van den Akker, the west coast equivalent to John Esposito, specifically recommends Valvoline Racing 20W50; and Ken Gillanders, proprietor of British Frame and Engine does too. Based on their recommendations, I've been running it myself for many years.

But it's specifically 'racing' oil, which has less detergent and more anti-wear additives than normal motor oil.

Lots of folks also use Redline MT-90, which is a synthetic oil specifically formulated for manual gearboxes.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
John's the best in the east, Iv'e been working with him since the 80's

great guy

OP
cmacmillan

cmacmillan

If Phil, Tony, John, or any other Esposito recommend it, it's good enough for me (I'm Canadian, if it sounds hockey, I'm in!)

D

DougF

I've been using Valvoline 20w-50 Racing Oil in the overdrive for several years. I have no complaints.

G

My grandmother always said:

"Never discuss religion, politics or manual transmission oil weights with anyone.", "It will always start an argument."

OP
cmacmillan

cmacmillan

Stirkle said:
My grandmother always said:

"Never discuss religion, politics or manual transmission oil weights with anyone.", "It will always start an argument."

Your grandma must be a great mechanic!!!

...but seriously folks...who knew I was opening pandora's box of fluids...I won't even ask about what tires to put on...someone might get e-slapped and challenged to a duel.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Isn't it interesting how an innocent topic can escalate into unpleasant territory?

The Forum should be a safe place for spirited discussion, and as stated by several on this thread, we all have our own views and experiences. Let's share them, respect each other's points of view, and hold the attitudes in check, OK?

Thanks!
Mickey

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Mickey Richaud said:
Isn't it interesting how an innocent topic can escalate into unpleasant territory?

The Forum should be a safe place for spirited discussion, and as stated by several on this thread, we all have our own views and experiences. Let's share them, respect each other's points of view, and hold the attitudes in check, OK?

Thanks!
Mickey

And people wonder why we don't discuss politics or religion here /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grouphug.gif

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I have <span style="color: #CC0000">deleted certain posts</span> (and I did not single anyone out). I am not taking sides - <u>will not take sides</u> - in any of the personal issues that this thread devolved to.

There is a reason that you don't see a lot of personal bickering on the forum - it's because <span style="color: #663366">I simply won't allow it</span>. Sometimes folks are put off by my insistance that we all play nice, but oh well. Look, there are always going to be differing opinions, and that's fine. But if any member has an issue with another member, the rules of the forum state that you should take it to email or PMs - NOT on the forum. My advice:

1) If you have a different opinion, state it respectfully and read what you write as if you were on the receiving end. Remember that in forum or email communications, a person's intent can be misunderstood because there is no voice inflection in the written text. Often something you could say face-to-face with no problem might not be received as well in written text.

2) If you do take someone's posts personally, you have two options. First you can choose to ignore the other person's post (this can be done literally by visiting their profile page and click the "<span style="color: #006600"><u>Ignore This User</u></span>" link. Or, you can PM the person and discuss it like adults. Who knows, you might even resolve the issue and realize that neither side is really such a bad guy after all.

At this time I am locking this thread.

Basil