• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cleaning Engine Bay

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have my engine out of the BJ8 for new bearings, etc., so I am thinking now is a good time to clean up the engine bay. Depending on how well it looks after a cleaning with simply green or gunk, I might decide to repaint the engine compartment. A local auto paint company can match my new base/clear exterior paint with enamel in a rattle can, but can't match that particular formula in a lacquer. Has anyone tried to do this with enamel in a rattle can? What are the results? I would think the enamel would be harder to use but would appear more glossy. Thoughts anyone?

D

DougF

For all the more that is visible in a Healey engine bay, basically the fire wall, I would be more concerned about how exactly I would approach the job at hand. With all the cables, hoses, grommets, brake lines, etc. that are in the way, there will be an extensive amount of taping and masking involved to come close to the effect that I'm sure you want to achieve. Spray cans are one of the least effective methods for applying paint, second only to a brush. If your person is mixing color, one has to assume that the quality will be considerably better than your average rattle can. You should be able to keep the paint wet and get it to flow, but aerosol propellants and more specifically the nozzles don't generally give a steady flow of paint. Compound that with trying to paint around all of your obstacles and I believe you are looking at disappointment in the final result. If you would decide to remove all of these obstacles, which would be a rather extensive job, then it would be a considerably easier task applying the paint. But to go to that extent would warrant doing the job properly and with the right equipment.
Most likely, that color match will not be perfect factoring in enamel vs. lacquer, and primer color but it should be close enough.
I would also have your paint guy mix up a good primer. Scuff everything down with a Scotch Brite pad and follow up with a wax remover/degreaser, all available at your paint supplier.
Will it be as shiny as your exterior paint? No. If your car has been painted with lacquer, it has been wet sanded and buffed to achieve the shine. This is something you won't be able to do effectively to you engine bay.
I hope I have given a little insight to your question.

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Skip,

Enamel should work well for the engine bay. I'm not sure why you would want to use lacquer. Your new base/clear body paint isn't lacquer and lacquer doesn't stand up as well to heat and chemicals. If you want a slightly less glossy appearance, you can ask the paint shop to add a bit of flattener to make it semi-gloss. The biggest challenge will be prepping the surface and masking. Make sure you completely mask off the rest of the car with thin plastic to avoid getting overspray on your bodywork. Also, remember that you can sand between dry coats of paint if you have areas that don't come out quite right. Sanding with 400 - 600 wet will allow you to level the surface and then spray a new coat.

Good luck!
John

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
rather than a rattle can you may want to consider obtaining (renting?) a small touch-up spray outfit (gun/cup and small compressor). you will have far better control over pressure and, more importantly, the spray pattern, which will help target the paint into all the nooks and tight spots between your wires, tubes, and what not. I also recommend enamel over lacquer paint. and as others have already said, remove as much as possible and do a careful job of masking. please post a pic or 2 of your results.

shorn,there was a gentleman recently on the "triumph" forum doing the same thing your about to start,he writes that his fingers were literaly bleeding from trying to sand in all the nooks and crannys,i recommended that he might purchase/rent/borrow,some type of small portable media blaster,i think this will help in those tight places our fingers just cant reach,a friend lent me his,harbor freight or jc whitney sells them for about $100.00,though there far from beeing a "proffeshional' model and can be a little touchy to use youll save alot of time and bandaids,you might want to check out that thread in the triump forum, as been mentioned here,id stay away from the laquer too.and the small touch up gun,as per " nevets" recommendation is a very good idea.just take your time,all will be well,good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

blueridge,very,very nice!radiator fan shroud red paint, brushed or sprayed? the judges are gunna want to know! tell me what ya doin this weekend? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I think that must be a pic form the orginial assembly line, except that it is nicer. Must be a special.

BlueRidge1

Jedi Warrior
radiator fan shroud red paint, brushed or sprayed? the judges are gunna want to know! tell me what ya doin this weekend? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks Red is sprayed. We are headed to the Mountains (Jonas Ridge) Snow tubing, If I live through that I need to get the under side of the shroud and fenders painted so I can start fitting every thing together. (If it looks as if there are two cars in photo, 2 pictures were overlapping when I tryed to edit.
Still new at attachments .