• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Carpet underlayment, TR3A 1960

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
I'm waiting for parts for several projects I have underway so I'm at a stand still. I thought I might spend some time putting in the carpet and the underlayment. Question pops into mind about the underlayment. Is it installed in pieces like the carpet or should I try to do one big chunk for the front and one for the back?
Please understand that I have never put in carpeting in a TR or any other car before, so this is all new to me.

Your thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tinkerman

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Tinkerman,
I have not yet done my TR 3A carpet but I have done several MG's and a big Healey. Usually the underlayment is the same shape as the carpet so you can use the carpet as a template if you have to cut your own underlayment. I would suggest first installing Dynamat or equal product. I have done this with the last four cars I have done and it is well worth the cost and effort. I don't know exactly where underlayment is supposed to be installed in a TR but some LBC's don't install any under the seats. I will put Dynamat on all the floor, the front bulkhead, side kick panels, inside the doors, on the top side and under side of the transmission cover, up the rear kickboard and the rear shelf to the gas tank. Hopefully someone who has TR carpet installation experience will add their thoughts. Have a good day!

John

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Mine is in pieces which more or less match the shape of the various carpet sections. I've had a lot of experience installing it -- just one TR3A and just one carpet set... but lots of experience.

carpet_zps697c7fa2.jpg

IOW -- I suggest you avoid gluing anything that lies on the floorboards unless you are better at weather forecasting than I am.

You can just see in that photo that the carpets under the seats are slit for quick removal (w/o removing the seat tracks. Probably not something most would choose to do but handy if you plan to get soaked once in awhile.

Modern materials certainly do a better job of heat and sound insulation -- but the traditional stuff is part of that special formula that makes a TR smell like a TR.

I did add an extra layer of insulation under the passenger side footwell carpet as that spot gets a lot of heat from the exhaust running under it and I like my passenger to be comfortable.

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I got some insulation stuff from a local hardware store that has foil on both sides and a sort of bubble wrap in the middle. It works well as sound/heat 'proofing'. If (When) the car gets real wet, I have to remove the seats (and carpeting) to remove the stuff, but nothing is attaching the three sections to the floor but habit/fit.

Attachments

• sound_heat.jpg
    sound_heat.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 122

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I agree with having the underlayment the same size as the carpet pieces. I also used Dynamat on the interior of the car. Love it !! The only person that didn't love it, was the Concours judge that pulled up my carpet to look at the floor. But I smile driving down the road in my much quieter and cooler car. By the way the cheapest place that I found Dynamat was on Amazon at about 2/3 or less the price of elsewhere.
Charley

OP
Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Last time I did any concours judging we were not allowed to touch anything. Much less pull up carpeting to see the floor boards. I suppose that could have been changed but I dont know..............

Dick

Lbp

I put new carpet in my '58 TR3A last fall. In place of underlayment, I used water heater blanket from Home Depot. As I recall, around $35 for enough to do the whole car. It appears to be a very similar material to the standard underlayment, but with foil on one side. I completely covered the tunnel, foil side down, and cut all the other pieces so they matched the carpet pieces with around 1" - 1 1/2" borders smaller than the carpet pieces. I installed all with velcro for easy removal and drying. The water heater blanket helps to keep the tunnel from getting hot on my leg. As for sound, we're talking about what is essentially a 4-wheeled motorcycle. I really don't believe any material, even dynamat (which I have in my daily driver Porsche 968) will make any significant difference in a TR3. It's an open, noisy, windy ride any way you look at it.

Bill

Last edited:
OP
Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
"It's an open, noisy, windy ride any way you look at it."

Yep! One of the reasons that I bought it!

dick

Lukens

Jedi Warrior
As for sound, we're talking about what is essentially a 4-wheeled motorcycle. It's an open, noisy, windy ride any way you look at it.

I tell my biker friends "It's just like a motorcycle only it won't tip over". :fat:

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
"It's an open, noisy, windy ride any way you look at it."

Yep! One of the reasons that I bought it!

dick

By insulating the tunnel you can deaden some sounds like the tranny noise and then can concentrate on the engine and exhaust sounds. SO SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Regarding the Concours judging, I agree the rules have now changed in VTR so it should not happen again.
Charley