• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge Carb-ed vs. Injected TR7 Spider

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Sorry for being MIA for so long. It's been a busy summer...

I went out this morning to look at a TR7 Spider. (What can I say? I'm wedgeless right now, and I'm jealous of ObiRich's Spider.)

When I got to look at the car, I popped the bonnet and it had carbs. I was surprised, because my apparently incorrect assumption was that all TR7 Spiders were '81s and injected. Does anyone know the breakdown of Spiders carb vs. FI?

Otherwise it was standard Spider package-- TR8 wheels, black/red paint, fog lamps, sport steering wheel...it's also an A/C car, although the belt was off. The car ran great (has headers, and it pulls a lot stronger than my 30th Anniversary. Also still has the automatic choke and it started immediately -- I mean IMMEDIATELY. How often does that happen with that nasty auto choke?!?!) Seats are thrashed and the paint is bad...but he was asking just $1295 so I offered to buy it...unfortunately, someone agreed to buy it sight unseen before I showed up. (If he disappears, the owner said it's mine.)

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
SAMMY! We've missed you...

Spiders were '80 models, according to Piggot's book. Around 1200 built in Canley, from May of '80. Canley closed in August.

$1295 is an absolute steal! Hope you get a second chance...

OP
S

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Thanks Mickey.

I never got Piggot's TR7/8 book (I have the 2-3 book). I suppose that means the injected '81 were rarer than the 80s.

I just hope this other buyer doesn't show up. I'm with you -- $1300 for a Spider with no rust and running is a steal!!!

J

johnmanske

There was approximately 2000 TR7 Spiders produced for the US/Canada Markets. These were mostly Carbed vehicles with the exeption of California cars. Due to pollution laws in the state of CA they had to be Fuel Injected. There were only 230 FI Spiders made. I have owned two FI injected Spiders and still have one.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Welcome, Johnmanske!

Glad to see another Wedge owner on the Forum. (I need all the backup I can get! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif )

We look forward to more posts from you.

Mickey

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks to our new member for resurrecting this post.

So, Sammy... Where are ya? Did you get the Spider?

John_Mc

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Mickey, everytime I see one of your posts I want to blow up that photo in your avatar for a better look. It looks so shiny and nice! Do you have a larger pic?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks, John!

Lemme see...

Attachments

• 8976.jpg
    8976.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 282

ObiRichKanobi

Jedi Knight
Country flag
johnmanske said:
There was approximately 2000 TR7 Spiders produced for the US/Canada Markets. These were mostly Carbed vehicles with the exeption of California cars. Due to pollution laws in the state of CA they had to be Fuel Injected. There were only 230 FI Spiders made. I have owned two FI injected Spiders and still have one.

Where did you find that number of only 230 FI Spiders were made? I'd be interested in verifying that somehow, as what I've seen on EBay is that about 1/3 of the Spiders were FI. I run around with a group if "American iron" drivers in the summertime, and would like to be able to point out haw rare it REALLY is.

J

johnmanske

I have attached the following file on the production of TR7 Spider by VIN including Color and Trim Codes. It is not complete but very comprehensive.

It is a Microsoft Word Document. It is avaiable as an Excel file if needed too.

There have been a few Spiders not listed but it is a very good reference tool.

Merry Christmas.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Alas, Basil doesn't allow either Word or Excel files on the forum. If you can post it somewhere on the web and put a link here, that would be wonderful.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Mickey Richaud said:
Thanks to our new member for resurrecting this post.

So, Sammy... Where are ya? Did you get the Spider?

<span style='font-size: 17pt'> SAAAAAAMMMMMYYYYY.....? </span>

OP
S

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Hey, I'm back...sorry for the four month delay!!! I've been crazy busy with my children and working on my dad's '29 Franklin.

No -- never got the car. He sold it to the other buyer.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
RATS - Well, maybe there's another one out there...

J

johnmanske

I am loving your site guys. This is a great place to communicate with our fellow TR7 associates.

J

johnmanske

I need some advise please. My car needs new front springs. Any advise on how much of the front suspension to do at the same time?

Thanks

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
johnmanske said:
I am loving your site guys. This is a great place to communicate with our fellow TR7 associates.

This is a good place to hang out John... hope to see you at the clubhouse this year.

Rick
(former Iola Old Car Show guy)

swift6

Yoda
johnmanske said:
I need some advise please. My car needs new front springs. Any advise on how much of the front suspension to do at the same time?

Thanks

Well, if you can afford it, do it all at once if its needed. Followed by a good alignment. Then its all done. Otherwise, since the struts have to come off to replace the springs, new inserts are a good idea (again, if they are needed) as are ball joints and bushes. But by that time, your nearly rebuilding the whole front suspension anyway. There really isn't much to them.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
John -I just bought the complete rebush kit and lowered spring deal from Woody,along with the big brake kit. Not to hard to do the suspension bushings at the same time.
As Shawn says tie rods and ball joints too. If it is an occasional driver, should be the last time unless you wreck it. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif