• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugeye rear end noise

mmotors

We have a Bugeye with a rear end noise that I am about to tear apart the rear to check out.
To describe the noise: A mid range consistant hum under load at highway speeds. Much more noticable when the top is on. Very much the same noise as driving your mini van with the small spare that is under inflated (done that). When you let off the gas or push in the clutch it goes away.
99 percent sure it is from the rear and not the gearbox. I am thinking a bad bearing or bearings, probably the pinnion bearing? Maybe worn gears?
Any ideas? Thank you

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
^I agree. Also, bofore tearing anything apart, try a different set of tires on the rear, if you have some to put on. Or maybe rotate the fronts and backs.

OP
M

mmotors

Yep oil in the rear. Unfortunity it's not that simple. Not the tires or it would do it all the time while at speed. It stops when not under load.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
This is just a thought:

Switch to synthetic gear oil.
It made the trans in my 1500 car much quieter.

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
An old timer once told me about saw dust in a rear. Mine was singing and I used a high oil content wood saw dust. Cedar will not hurt the gears, holds oil, and it really works. Short of that, it's new ring and pinion time.
A cup of saw dust works. And since my diff was shot, how bad could some saw dust make it? it lasted 5 or 6 years when I finally got around to swapping it out.

G

spritenut said:
An old timer once told me about saw dust in a rear. Mine was singing and I used a high oil content wood saw dust. Cedar will not hurt the gears, holds oil, and it really works. Short of that, it's new ring and pinion time.
A cup of saw dust works. And since my diff was shot, how bad could some saw dust make it? it lasted 5 or 6 years when I finally got around to swapping it out.

It does "work", but creates more drag. I had a Dodge p/u that had a horrible gear whine that came in and out like you describe. I pulled the cover and somehow that carrier was flopping around in the outter races. I could push it side to side about a 1/4-1/2 in..

I pulled it out and it didn't have missing rollers or anything weird. It was set up just like our cars, so all I did was adust gear clearance by ajusting the carrier bearing preload nuts over so the carrier moved till I had .003 clearance b/w the gears. A little more twist for proper preload and it worked GREAT. No noise, whine, slop, heat or anything else. I bought the truck that way from the original owner and he had never touched it and it had 167,000 on it.

I was really suprised that it cleared up. Ordinarily I would have changed everything out but I was in college and need to get back home that night. (I was in charge of the automotive lab and did it there.)

Pull it and see what's up. You might be able to jusr adjust the sides carrier bearings and be done w/ it. You never know till you look. If it's shot, dope it up till you can getr the goods to fix it and drive the car for now.

OP
M

mmotors

Sounds like it maybe the carrier clearance. Gives me something to look for when I take it apart. Thanks for all the help.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Make sure the Yoke nut on the Diff is tight. Lots of hot rodding can loosen this up and make it whine like crazy because the pinion gets loose with no preload. Just a thought, otherwise what spritenut says is right. You might find another whole pumpkin rather than swap the gears, but that is always a pig in a poke. It might be just as bad.

nomad

Yoda
I had always heard that the saw dust trick was something that crooked used car dealers used to get a car off the lot. Never realized you could actually keep something running that long with it. What you know, Spritenut, learn something new every day.
KA.

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Nylon Stockings quieten gearboxes and back axles, if you don't have any sawdust handy.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
starting up this thread again, before I go tear anything apart. I too have a whine in the differential. I have replaced the pinion seal twice - first one was the wrong size which allowed leaking which may have had it running dry though I can't really imagine it being fully dry due to the shape of the differential and the fact that there should have been a small pool of oil if nothing else. We added lucas transmission stuff which helped but, I'd still like to address it somehow. In the earlier parts of the thread there are terms & concepts that I don't understand like preload and side carrier bearings and adjust gear clearance. Kellysguy or anyone else, if you could jump in to help me out that would be awesome!

thanks all

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Bump. Kellysguy - others? help

OP
M

mmotors

Probably your bearings or the crown and pinion gear are worn. Mine was the crown and pinion gear. Even a small amount of wear makes ALOT of noise in a Bugeye. I ended up going with a 3.7 and love it. No more noise as well.