• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bent BN2 Steering Column

timbn2

Jedi Hopeful
my BN2 has a bent steering column. i notice Moss doesn't have them. Are these hard to come by? will i have to attempt to restraighten it myself? any ideas where i could find a good used one?

timbn2,ive got one,and sports and classics also has several,but depending on how badly its bent[slight curve]i dont see why it couldnt be salvaged,but if its realy buggered up,{crushed} i dont think so.i recently seen one one ebay and it had a bit of a bend in it,i dont recall if the seller said it was to be used for all the box parts or he said it could also be straightened?anyway, ya theres some around. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Tim, could you clarify ; where the column is bent, what steering malfunctions it produces,was the car in an accident.??---Keoke

OP
timbn2

timbn2

Jedi Hopeful
Hi. the column is bent approx. 6-8 inches above the streeing box. it had been hit at some point on that side. there is some small frame bend and the wheel well has been repaired. unfortunately i dont know if the frame was straightened after the accident or not. my guess is no. i can't imagine why they would have done the frame but not the column.
its not a major bend, maybe a 1/2 to 3/4 inch from centerline. i can try and get a pic of it if ya like...

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OK TIM a Pic would do us some good.Does the unit leak oil at the steering box to outer tube joint?--Keoke

OP
timbn2

timbn2

Jedi Hopeful
sorry it took so long to get these up... does this look fixable?
dsc00873.jpg

dsc00874.jpg

dsc00875.jpg

dsc00876.jpg

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well Tim, Since the unit does not appear to leak, it seems like you have a couple of options. 1} I think the outer tube could be straightened. Aesthetically,the dents could be filled sanded to the tubes contour and painted. 2} another housing could be sourced and rebuilt using your parts.However, you might be required to install and ream new bushings.I have not seen one bent like that before. How does the car steer any binding inside the tube?,---Keoke

That damage to the outer tube looks like someone tried to use it as a leverage point while trying to move or bend something else.?

timbn2,if i were intent on keeping this one,i would totaly dismantle it,remove everything,gears wires,seals all thats in the box,id find a solid steel shaft to opproximate the i.d of the pipe,gently heat it and slowly drive the steel shaft into it to straighten,thats if i had no other choice,mind you im no metallurgist,i dont suggest you should do this,but like i said if i had to keep this one,id try it,it looks as if the car took a hit on the front left drivers side,very near the wheel, and the shock tower was pushed/driven against the the shaft,how does the chassis look? any obvious repaires? stuff look out of alignment? etc? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

OP
timbn2

timbn2

Jedi Hopeful
[ QUOTE ]
it looks as if the car took a hit on the front left drivers side,very near the wheel, and the shock tower was pushed/driven against the the shaft,how does the chassis look? any obvious repaires? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif yes. it has been hit on that side. im not sure if a repair has been tried, (i doubt it) but there is some frame damage that needs some attention. also, there was some welding repair done on the wheel arch as well so...
the frame doesn't seem to be to bad. Granted, im no expert but it looks like some time on a frame rack might get the job done. i hope... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif