• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

3 out of 4 wheels bent, looking for new used set

theleisure

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
Well, the title says it all, almost. I've been driving on bent wheels but it hasn't bugged me too much as I wasn't doing much driving over 55mph until recently. I just put on this set of '66 correct disk wheels within the last year and a half and i sold the previous set of early rostyles+ trim rings that I was using off to Tony Barnhill.

I'd like to get either a new used set of decent '66 correct disc wheels or buy my previous set back from Tony's family. Anybody know if that second possibility could happen or how I would go about that? My budget for new/correct disc wheels is $200 and for the early rostyles, I'd basically like to buy them back at the same price that I sold them for.

Thanks for any suggestions

sean

cimg1771.jpg
wheels i sent to Tony

IMG_0176.jpg
pic with my current wheels

mrsprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have a set of disc wheels from my '66 parts car. I will need to check their trueness, but I believe that they are straight. LMK if you're interested and I will get them checked out.

BTW....they will need to be refinished. At some point in this cars life the wheels were painted red. I'll post some pics in a few minutes.

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
How about these? craigslist If my B/E was not going to be stock................

mrsprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Here's a picture of the drivers front wheel....all 4 look the same (red!). It looks like the stock silver is underneath. LMK if you're interested.

22179_.jpg

G

Something's not right about that CL set. Should be one pattern or the other, not both.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Now, fess up and tell us what you did to bend those wheels LOL. I bent too in a pinto once trying to do one of those power slides like the cops did on TV. I spun it around but slammed the curb and bent both passenger wheels. It was a long slow drive home LOL

mrsprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I did that in a Fiero years ago too....."powersliding" on a snow packed street. It was a blast until the rear end got away from me and I whacked the curb. It took a 1"x4" chunk out of the lip of the wheel, but didn't break the bead! I drove home and scavenged for another wheel. Lesson learned. :smile:

OP
theleisure

theleisure

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
regularman said:
Now, fess up and tell us what you did to bend those wheels LOL. I bent too in a pinto once trying to do one of those power slides like the cops did on TV. I spun it around but slammed the curb and bent both passenger wheels. It was a long slow drive home LOL

I wish I could say I was doing something fun but there wasn't a specific incident involved.

Mr sprite, I'm interested. Send me a pm with any details

OP
theleisure

theleisure

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
I felt like I should update this post as there have been a few developments... I purchased the red steel wheels that mrsprite offered and received them late last week- a nice, smooth transaction. If I had waited another week I might not have needed them-- it looks as though I might be able to buy back those wheels that I sold to Tony after all. If anybody missed it, check out the thread at the top of the spridget list, Tony's family is offering certain items for sale.

While I was waiting for the wheels to arrive I checked the rest of my front suspension components and found a few that needed servicing. First on the list to repair was a re-rebuilt LF damper from Worldwide Auto Parts. Zero dollar repair price as I had just purchased it last April('09). I swapped that in and the high speed wobble was cured immediately. Oh well, I had already sprung for some other parts so I kept going. Next up was a clunk in the steering rack. I had a cheap rack that I found on craigslist and crossed my fingers that it was in better shape than mine. I gave it some new gaiters and tie rod ends and filled it with fresh grease. I used the John Twist method for splitting the tie rod ends. It is possible to removal and install a steering rack without removing the radiator but it's a real pain. Car feels real nice now... but now the horn doesn't work. doh

IMG_0926.JPG

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
theleisure said:
Car feels real nice now... but now the horn doesn't work. doh

well duh, after all, it's an integral part of the suspension. :jester:

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
You need to ground the horn wire. It runs through the rack