• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bad Automotive Day

JoshP

Jedi Trainee
Today has not been my day when it comes to vehicles. Remember the electric fan installation that I had made a fuss over here previously? I finished it up two days ago and everything was working quite well. The needle would go to 'N' and stay there regardless of movement or idle.

Today, I'm driving down the highway and the previously unmovable needle starts climbing rather quickly to the 'H' mark. Luckily, I was near the shop I frequent, so I pulled in there and noticed that the fan was not running at all. I borrowed a test light and went to work.

I won't bore you with all the how and why, but suffice to say, I determined that the fan motors is dead. I took the fan back to Advance Auto, but they won't have another one in until tomorrow at the earliest. So, the Bomb's out of commission until I get a new one. I did manage to get the Bomb back home, but it was a little nerve wracking (10 mile drive, had to go non stop all the way).

So, when I get home, I get the report that my sister's Taurus had been literally pissing fuel from the fuel filter. The same fuel filter that I just replaced; my handiwork was facing a fair amount of skepticism at this point. Someone had looked at it on site and said that there was a clamp missing from where the fuel line connected to the fuel filter fitting. There never was a clamp...just the fitting and the hose connected to it.

The only possible conclusion that I could draw was that when I undid the fitting to change the filter, I must've pulled the line a bit loose. I put a clamp on anyway; no more leaks. Guess that did it for now.

I was 2 for 2 yesterday and the day before (fan and fuel filter), now I'm batting a big fat ZERO today. I need a drink /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nopity.gif

OP
J

JoshP

Jedi Trainee
Oh...one more thing. Remember to depressurize an FI car's fuel system before disconnecting a line fitting...ask me how I know. I do like the smell of gasoline though...

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Must be something about April,& car problems.
I sympathise with you.

- Doug

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
*Hush* Lads...Diesela is overdue for an oil change...

How many gallons does it take Doc? I forget. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Country flag
I didn't participate in the earlier electric fan thread, but I wouldn't think the car would get hot as long as it was moving. If it is overheating during cruising (not "stop and go") then you might need to look elsewhere in the cooling system.

I ran the cold months of winter with the fans disconnected on mine (but I don't drive in a lot of stop n go traffic).

OP
J

JoshP

Jedi Trainee
I was in a fair amount of stop and go (stuck right in the middle of stoplight alley here) traffic when this happened. The fan could've been dead for any amount of time for all I know.

The second thing I did after I bought the car was replace the thermostat (stuck partially open) and have the cooling system flushed. I was able to get the car home successfully; I just had to drive like a bat outta "h e double hockey sticks" and not stop.

(Stoplight alley here is alright as long as you don't get caught by one of the lights. If you do, then you'll surely get caught by all of them.)

Country flag
I saw the car has Pike county tags. Where are you located?

lawguy

Jedi Knight
A "bad" automotive day is one where a cherished auto is broken beyond repair. Anything less is just an opportunity to buy more tools.

Country flag
I've known a few people from that area as well as Prestonsburg. Are you working in the area now, or are you still in school?

OP
J

JoshP

Jedi Trainee
I'm working in Harold doing tech support for a local ISP. I graduated from college (Morehead State) in May of last year. I received my B as a graduation present.

Country flag
I think I got a coffee mug for my graduation present. Glad you found some work in the area. Are you going to Gatlinburg for MG2006 (since you are close by)?

Yeah, I got a keychain. Didn't even have a car - go figure.

OP
J

JoshP

Jedi Trainee
I'm still debating on going to MG2006. It's about a 2.5 hour drive for me, but it's an issue of having enough $$$ for hotel, fees, gas, et cetera and getting the time off of work.

Country flag
Good Golly! You're young man. Get a tent and a sleeping bag and a big bag of trail mix. Time off work? ... that's a little tougher. Gas ... you can afford that since you will be living off trail mix.