• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Anyone use a EZ Car Lift brand on your Healey ?

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey y'all,
Thinking of getting a EZ CAR LIFT which from everything I have read appears to be a great mid rise style lift, safe, won't kill me down the road, etc. Anyone out there using one on a Healey with our well known "how to lift one without damaging the exhaust system problem" ? I would be using this on a 100-4 although think it would be the same for all series.
Thanks,
Mike

stretchit2

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
bighealeysource,

I just bought an EZCarlift. Although this is a great product, which is well designed and assembled I haven't been able to use it on my 61 Healey 3000 BT7. The problem I have been experiencing is the dimensions of the product. First of all it is too tall for me to simply slide it under the car, I first have to either jack it up or raise it about an 1 1/2" to get the lift under the car.

Once under, you must cut some angle blocks so that you can clear the exhaust. The manufacturer recommended that the blocks be placed on the "gussets" that run perpendicular to the main frames of the chasis. These lift points are located near the middle of the frame, leaving a large part of the vehicle in front of these lift points. In my case the frame seems to slightly deflect as so much weight is out front. Now it might be my 50 year old frame is weak (I'm talking about the car's frame), but I can tell it deflects because of the alignment of my doors when the vehicle is lifted at these points.

This is a great product but it just doesn't seem to work on my Healey.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hey, Mike -

For a lot less, you can get one of these.

I have one, and it is great. Does take up a bit of room, but is very solidly built, and can be used horizontally or at an angle. Also has pieces you can use as tool trays and spots for raising the car with a bottle jack.

The ramps are heavy, though!

:cheers:
Mickey

Country flag
Mickey Richaud said:
Hey, Mike -

For a lot less, you can get one of these.

I have one, and it is great. Does take up a bit of room, but is very solidly built, and can be used horizontally or at an angle. Also has pieces you can use as tool trays and spots for raising the car with a bottle jack.

The ramps are heavy, though!

:cheers:
Mickey
Granted, that's better than nothing, and though you'd need a little bit of ceiling height to take advantage of a regulare 2-post floor lift (I'm currently using one in a 9'3" garage) the cost is very little more. https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/Auto-Lift-AL2-9K-FP-9000-LBS-2-Post-Auto-Lift-p/al2-9k-fp.htm

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
:iagree: and their monthly special is only $1400

OP
bighealeysource

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks y'all for the comments and advice. The owner of EZ Carlift had already told me about having to use blocks to properly work with a Healey and this confirms my concerns - thanks strecthit2 ! I have seen the Kwik lift and will give that a closer look. Wish I had the space for a post lift but not there. The mid rise sissors lifts are interesting but think I would have the same problem with the Healey exhaust system. So the drive on Kwik lift just might do the job.If you want an unpainted version, can get that now for as low as $1135 plus freight. If I get one, I'll let everyone know how it works out.
Regards,
Mike