• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Can anyone suggest a car cover that fits my TR3A?

Lbp

I'm looking for a good quality car cover that fits my TR3A. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, so I don't have to worry about snow, but we do get our share of rain and wind. I don't have a garage, so the car will be in the driveway under a cover (if I can find one that fits). I've tried the Coverking Stormproof and the Covercraft Weathershield HP. Both are supposedly form fitting for the TR3, and they would fit perfectly IF my car had no sideview mirrors. Since neither cover has mirror pockets, nor provides enough material in front to go over the mirrors, the material going over the mirrors leaves the bottom 6" or so on either side exposed! Any suggestions?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
My two cents: the best two car covers are (1) air, or (2) garage.

My (limited) experience with covers makes me worry about the finish getting scratched by dust when the cover is put on or off. Also, moisture can get trapped underneath, resulting in mildew if water tight.

An emergency cover for surprise rain might be useful. But I'd never keep my car outside under a "fitted" cover.

Tom

PeterK

Yoda
Agree. Car covers in the rain are not a good idea, and blowing wind with buff any road grime into your paint finish.

BTW, I have a Covercraft Technalon and the tailoring is very nice BUT I also have the wing mirror problem that pocket would address. Mine stays in the car garage covered.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
If it's just the mirror pocket that keep the covers from being what you wanted, Cut holes in the cover and make your own pockets. That's the way the mfg does it. They are separate sections sewed onto the body cover.
carcover.jpg

PeterK

Yoda
They don't put mirror covers in the TR3 models because mirror placement is not consistent.

I'm OK without the pockets because mine sits inside but even outside it doesn't affect the fit that much.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
poolboy said:
If it's just the mirror pocket that keep the covers from being what you wanted, Cut holes in the cover and make your own pockets.
:iagree:
Don't know if they still do, but it used to be that Covercraft would give you the pockets if you bought the cover from them. If not, the storage bag should provide plenty of material.

M

Member 10617

If you don't have a garage, you surely need some kind of cover for your car. The reluctance of people to use covers, as stated in the posts above, is certainly something to consider, but if you are in the San Francisco Bay Area, you are likely to get salt spray in the air, and that can do as much damage as dust and grit under the cover. I guess you just need to tie it down securely so that it doesn't scrub your paint, and put it on and remove it carefully.

What falls on one of these cars is but one problem with a car kept outside, however. I would be concerned about moisture rising from under the car and causing rust. There may be ways to prevent or minimize this.

OP
Lbp

Lbp

I'm in the East Bay and not on the coast, so I don't think salt spray is a problem. My DD is a '93 Porsche 968 Cabriolet and I only use the cover on it right after a good wash. If it's dirty, the cover stays off. I'm not too worried about moisture as the cover I bought for the TR3 has high marks for breathability. Plus, I certainly plan on taking the cover off and taking the TR3 for a spin each weekend with decent weather. The best part is that the car will be indoors for 2.5-3 months. (As soon as the rain hits, it's going in for body restoration and new paint).

Randall & Poolboy: Thanks for the tip. Even thought I bought the cover from Auto Anything, I called Covercraft direct. They refused to sell me mirror pockets - but they offered to send them to me for free!

Bill

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Sorry i can't recall what cover I have but it is lightweight, packs small yet seems to provide good breathable protection.

It is a custom fit which looks good when the top is up (almost never) and the windscreen on (sometimes).

I mainly use it when inclement weather surprises me...

Snow2.JPG

Yeah, that's an aeroscreen under there. That storm caught me nappin'.

<span style="font-style: italic">Looking at some websites, I believe that cover is a Covercraft Weathershield. Works well and like I said -- packs really small.</span>

Vaark01

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I bought an indoor cover from the Roadster Factory eight years ago and it fits perfectly.

Paul

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
I don't know how other car covers fit but as you can see the Wolf NOAH fits tight..no flapping in the wind. My car is parked under a carport, seldom a day goes by that I don't go for a drive, be it 15 miles around the block or 90 miles up to the camp and back, so most of the time it goes uncovered, but if a storm is expected or if I'm away from home for a couple days or more I cover it.