• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Anyone recognize this car - I think this is a scam

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Listed on my local Craigslist.

I asked the seller if he'll use an escrow company - haven't heard back yet.

Attachments

• 254492-84_12.jpg
    254492-84_12.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 329
OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
There have been a couple of stories floating around on the LBC forums about situations similar to this where the seller was pushing a scam.

I hope it isn't, but car is in a different state etc...

Just being careful.

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
There have been a couple of stories floating around on the LBC forums about situations similar to this where the seller was pushing a scam.

I hope it isn't, but car is in a different state etc...

Just being careful.

[/ QUOTE ]

A series of postings was made to the BCF earlier about a scam and scammer that was making the rounds:

https://www.britishcarforum.com/ubbthread...part=1&vc=1

You might look at that and contact some of the people scammed and see whether there are similarities/links....

dkritter

Freshman Member
Re: Anyone recognize this car - I think this is a

Out of curiosity

I contacted the guy via email and he responded right away with pictures. His email to me is below:

"HI Dave , well this car was my fathers for just under 25 years , he put more money in it then we will ever see out of it lol anyway it dose have overdrive and it"s in excellent shape. runs and drives excellent. . the frame and floors are in excellent shape. i think dad spent $7k on the paint job
The car does look fantastic would you like me to call you ? or my number is 785-xxx-xxx we are in Garden City ,Kansas but i'm willing to cover shipping Thanks Charles"

So i googled his phone number and came up with this link in Craigslist

https://montana.craigslist.org/car/204327366.html

Seems this guy has been tracking this character.

DK

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi,

Well, it's not the same car pictured in the previous scam (that was a white TR3A). But, that might not mean anything since the photos being used in that previous scam apparently had just been lifted from an auction or somewhere else on the Internet. The same or a different scammer might just as easily have gotten another set of photos to use in a new scam. (So, it's certainly a good idea for you to ask here, where someone might recognize the car and know whether or not it's for sale.)

An escrow company is a good idea, too, but I think there have been a few instances where fake ones were part of the scam. So, as I'm sure you are aware, use a reputable and well-known escrow company!

Heck, if it were me, I'd want to see and touch the car before handing over my cash, even if it meant taking a plane ride. I suspect cost of a plane ticket might be about the same as an escrow company's services, anyway!

Hope the deal works out for you without any problems!

The old adage, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.", is far more applicable ever since Al Gore invented the Internet.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

R6MGS

Yoda

[ QUOTE ]
Out of curiosity

I contacted the guy via email and he responded right away with pictures. His email to me is below:

"HI Dave , well this car was my fathers for just under 25 years , he put more money in it then we will ever see out of it lol anyway it dose have overdrive and it"s in excellent shape. runs and drives excellent. . the frame and floors are in excellent shape. i think dad spent $7k on the paint job
The car does look fantastic would you like me to call you ? or my number is 785-806-9153 we are in Garden City ,Kansas but i'm willing to cover shipping Thanks Charles"

So i googled his phone number and came up with this link in Craigslist

https://montana.craigslist.org/car/204327366.html

Seems this guy has been tracking this character.

DK

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the fact that his number is listed here....I'd keep as far away from this as possible!

RedTR3

Jedi Trainee
I saw the posting on Craigslist also, he listed in several cities in CA. He wants $9995 and he will also pay for shipping from Kansas to CA - I don't think so! There is an old adage: If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is...

R6MGS

Yoda
I inquired about a Pale Yellow TR3 a few months ago.....probably the same guy...Think he claimed the car was in Arizona, same story with it being his dads...Same price($9995).

tomshobby

Yoda
When I look into a car before getting serious and doing any dealing I always get the vin number and registration (title) number. Then I have my local police dept check it for me. It only takes a couple of minutes to check out a vehicle anywhere in the US. If it checks out I contact the person (at the address) that comes up on the title search to see if they are the seller.
And then I would never transfer any money until I checked out the vehicle itself.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Run, don't walk away...

...Right after you report that ad to Craigslist and any authorities who will listen.

Geez! This guy is apparently successfully ripping people off over and over, $10K at a time.

I bet this is like any scam: There are probably ten people who have lost money and are too embarassed to say anything about it, for every one person who steps up and broadcasts what happened to them in an effort to warn others.

Add it up. We could be talking about pretty big bucks, not to mention a federal crime since it probably involves bank fraud, mail fraud and is across state lines, etc.

If he weren't making a lot of "real easy money", you can be pretty sure he wouldn't keep taking the risks.

So, I wonder when "the authorities" will show at least as much concern as they do when some 12 year old pockets a $.50 pack of chewing gum at the local Walmart? (Not that I approve of shoplifting, either.)

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
One quick item to close this out. I reported this to Craigslist and also the guy who posted the warning in Montana.

The guy who posted the warning actually emailed me back and was appreciative of this forum's efforts to make sure no one else got ripped off.

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag

we must have bombarded him. I got an email back from him too.

if Box-of-Rocks ever sees this he should get in contact with the guy and see if they can work together

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
--- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

Its gone ,its gone ,its gone.-- Keoke-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RedTR3

Jedi Trainee
Great question! About two months ago there was another British sportscar on Craigslist: a person listed a fully restored MGA (beautiful photos) for $6000. A guy at work here inquired about the car, naturally the car was overseas and would have to be shipped to the USA after payment. I hope no one fell into that one.

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag

He's probably picking on TR3's because he knows enough to sound intelligent about it when discussing on the phone.

He fooled a guy on here who definately knows Triumphs... and definately knows his way around e-Bay.

If he's got that good of a rap about the car then sadly that means he's had one and was (or is) part of our brotherhood.

repulsive.