• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Anyone know this car? [New Mexico, 67 AH Sprite]

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
I saw this car listed on Autotrader Classics: https://www.autotraderclassics.com/classi...sationId=813832

I'm in the market for something to drive while I finish up a few other projects, and was wondering if anyone here knew anything about the car. (or even better, if the owner posts here! :smile:

Thanks in advance!
Jody

Country flag
I don't know the car, but 1967 is a good year for a sprite. Roll-up windows, classic metal dash and a 1275. Price might be a little high, but if it is well sorted and solid then it is not too high.

OP
JodyFKerr

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
Healeysince59 said:
Jody

Don't know exactly what your looking for but there are a couple of nice Bugeyes for sale here in Tucson. More $$$ however.

Marv J

Marv,

Honestly, I'm looking for anything that's pre-emissions, more fun to drive than a beat to crap 2002 Toyota Corolla, and doesn't require me immediately tearing the entire thing apart. :smile: The other qualifier is that I really don't want something I already own. I was also looking at a pretty nice TR7 out in Rancho Cucamonga, CA.

Price range wise is variable, the longer I look the more money I have to spend. :smile: If you know of any goodies in Tucson PM me. It's a heck of a lot shorter drive. :smile:

Jody

As Trevor mentioned, thats a very good year for a Spridget, it should have a non smog 12G940 cylinder head, and some fo the 67 even had the factory EN40B nitrited cranks, good early model HS2 carbs, they are consider to the very best of the 1275 engines. 1/2 eliptic rear springs is another bonus, much simpler set up than the earlier 1/4 eliptic spring cars, much less to go wrong.

D

Deleted member 8987

"some body" work might just include the RF wind.
Doesn't look right above the wheel arch.
Door on passenger side doesn't look like it sits in the opening right.

Yeah on the boot latch needing work.

Something doesn't look right on the near end of the rear bumper, but might just be the angle.

Would be nice to have a photo of the other side before you travel to look at it.

G

TOC said:
"some body" work might just include the RF wind.
Doesn't look right above the wheel arch.
Door on passenger side doesn't look like it sits in the opening right.

Yeah on the boot latch needing work.

Something doesn't look right on the near end of the rear bumper, but might just be the angle.

Would be nice to have a photo of the other side before you travel to look at it.

x2

"Well known locally", so is the local crack head. :jester:

nomad

Yoda
This is a MK3 car and I don't think they were originally fitted with a 1275. I believe it gets the 67 registration because of the tendency to title the car to the year it was sold not necessarily the year made. Should be a 66 with a 10CC 1098 IMHO.

Kurt.

OP
JodyFKerr

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Nope, but there might be horrors lurking under that paint. Looks like they couldn't be bothered to replace the rest of the chrome trim down the side.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
pic sure looks pretty though

Jer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
ya, did they fail to put the trim back on or even worse, did they "shave" the mounting holes but left the front fender trim only - hard to tell by the picture if the mounting holes are there...
since we are scrutinizing, also there are no windshield wiper arms, no rocker panel jack hole plugs & a door mount mirror which isn't correct for that year of midget, think they only used fender mount at the time but it all depends how original you are looking for, too bad there isn't more pictures.
on the plus side there is still a seam between the door post & rocker so if it has been repaired, at least somebody took the time to keep the joints & seams where they are supposed to be.

OP
JodyFKerr

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
Got ahold of the guy.

Car's really only 2/3 of the way complete. Needs carpets, seat covers, top for conv't frame, etc. Apparently there's actually a pair of them available if anyone is interested.

Jody

Go_Dogs_Go

If this was the car for $ 3000 then I bought the car that was the subject of the original post for 2800! It was driven daily by the PO but she did a god job of avoiding upgrades. I replaced all suspension and brake components, and completely rebuilt the interior. I did it myself in 8 weeks except sewing and paint. I did however build the seats. Last weekend I put in rebuilt carbs and this baby flies! I fixed the registration to its correct year (1966). The larger engine was not the original. My wife loves her new car.

Country flag
Go_Dogs_Go said:
If this was the car for $ 3000 then I bought the car that was the subject of the original post for 2800! It was driven daily by the PO but she did a god job of avoiding upgrades. I replaced all suspension and brake components, and completely rebuilt the interior. I did it myself in 8 weeks except sewing and paint. I did however build the seats. Last weekend I put in rebuilt carbs and this baby flies! I fixed the registration to its correct year (1966). The larger engine was not the original. My wife loves her new car.

We need PICTURES!! :laugh: And welcome to the Forum!

OP
JodyFKerr

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
Thanks for the link. I did eventually find a new toy. This one's a 1981 Triumph TR8. So it looks like I'll have to look for a Sprite or Midget on my next car buying foray. :smile:

Jody

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag