• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

An MG Owner Did This To My Wife Sunday

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Sunday right after church I need to move the Tr250 out of the garage for some garage cleaning and while I was pulling it out I decided to take it around the block for a spin. It was the prudent thing to do since it was a nice day and already moving.

About 3/4s the way home I felt that familiar wobble after accelerating through the last turn. So I pulled the car over and sure enough the rear passenger tire was flat. Of course the jack was in the garage and the cell phone was on the kitchen table. A nice lady stopped and let me call my wife and she brought me the floor jack. The wheel would not come off for nothing. So I drove home to get some tools leaving my wife to watch the car.

Upon my return my wife was sitting on the spare tire and looked a little discussed (imagine that). Only one person asked to help me she said and someone else in a MGB passed me, turned around and pulled over heading towards me, then stopped and turned around and headed off.

Wow! What was that all about? I thought we were all in this together. Too much to ask someone if they need help. Particularly a woman! Gee you might have to do something. Guess maybe it's true what we’ve heard about them MGrs. I have seen it first hand at the TRF Party where they herd up in the middle and rope them selves off from everyone else. Amazing.

Sorry for venting but thought you should know.

Adam58

Jedi Hopeful
A sad story, to sure.

You are right. We are (LBC folks) ARE all in this together! I can't imagine anyone one on this forum would have done that and I KNOW I would not have. Please don't let one ninny speak for all MG folks!

Adam

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Obviously decided, and correctly I might add, that there was no help needed. Somehow, I doubt your wife's expression and actions said "Lady in distress" ... especially if she was sitting on the spare and giving dirty looks to traffic.

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
Probably more an attribute of the person than the vehicle.

If said MGB owner were wrenching on your car when you returned would you be more or less happy?

T

Tinster

I saw an MGB broken down on the side of the road a
while back when I was driving in my Jeep. Even
though I know nothing about auto mechanics, I pulled
over to see if the guy needed any of my tools or a ride.

Guess I was brought up different. Ya help other folks
when ya can. It comes back to you.

tinster

toysrrus

Yoda
Pretty Interesting story:

Of all the LBCs I`ve had the pleasure of owning; I`ve only been on the side of the road once! "Pretty Amazing but True"!

That was with a "`57XK 140 Rdstr": Happily, Just about everyone who drove by Stopped, asked if I needed help: Whether they were sincere relative to my needs or just wanted to take a close up of the Jag; Who knows, Who cares but did help:

Your Wifes experience; I believe is quite un-usual: Must have been someone who perhaps just bought the MG, or Question? Was it a "Male or Female Driver"? Perhaps if a Female; She may have figured, "What the heck can I do to help"? Probably Nothing & off she went:

Just driving thru; /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif

Regards, Russ /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif

jdubois

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'd be awful surprised to hear an MG owner would try to stop but give up upon seeing it was a Triumph. Especially since, to an MG owner, a TR250 is pretty obviously not an MG at first glance. It sounds more like somebody who wanted to help but had some kind of anxiety over it for some reason.

I once stopped to help an MGB broken down in the rain in my daily driver, and the guy was greatful but didn't fully warm up until I pointed out the newly machined bits of my MGB engine in the back seat. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
The MG driver was afraid that once you got rollng you'd want to race...haha

PATR8

Jedi Knight
It is funny, Motorcyclist always wave (actually a finger nod) no matter the type of bikes or person riding. Jeep drivers wave allot too... Hummer owners.... never, seem to disdain each other.

LBCs, we have a few of these around here other than mine, hardly every wave. I have chased more than a few down, even sometimes to their homes to meet and talk to them. Make some friends, probably scared a few

Country flag
TR3ATR250 said:
Sunday right after church I need to move the Tr250 out of the garage for some garage cleaning and while I was pulling it out I decided to take it around the block for a spin. It was the prudent thing to do since it was a nice day and already moving.

About 3/4s the way home I felt that familiar wobble after accelerating through the last turn. So I pulled the car over and sure enough the rear passenger tire was flat. Of course the jack was in the garage and the cell phone was on the kitchen table. A nice lady stopped and let me call my wife and she brought me the floor jack. The wheel would not come off for nothing. So I drove home to get some tools leaving my wife to watch the car.

Upon my return my wife was sitting on the spare tire and looked a little discussed (imagine that). Only one person asked to help me she said and someone else in a MGB passed me, turned around and pulled over heading towards me, then stopped and turned around and headed off.

Wow! What was that all about? I thought we were all in this together. Too much to ask someone if they need help. Particularly a woman! Gee you might have to do something. Guess maybe it's true what we’ve heard about them MGrs. I have seen it first hand at the TRF Party where they herd up in the middle and rope them selves off from everyone else. Amazing.

Sorry for venting but thought you should know.
Hope it wasn't a Lake Erie British Car Club member...

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
Sounds to me like the clutch was broken in the MG and they couldn't stop!

G

NickMorgan said:
Sounds to me like the clutch was broken in the MG and they couldn't stop!

Either that or they were having starter issues and were afraid that after they helped change the tire, the B would need a push start.

Just kidding MG owners, I like MGs too.

kindofblue

Jedi Warrior
PATR8 said:
It is funny, Motorcyclist always wave (actually a finger nod) no matter the type of bikes or person riding. Jeep drivers wave allot too... Hummer owners.... never, seem to disdain each other.

LBCs, we have a few of these around here other than mine, hardly every wave. I have chased more than a few down, even sometimes to their homes to meet and talk to them. Make some friends, probably scared a few

I have been waved at and smiled at by guys on Harleys.

I passed an LBC for the first time this weekend in my TR. I was coming around a downhill left hander, and a red early Spridget was coming up the hill.
He must of seen me first. We was waving with a big smile on his face. I waved and honked at him as we passed by. My parents were following with baby in their rental car. My dad said it must have been one in a million passing another English sports cars.

I said I don't think so. They are very popular in my area, and it was a beautiful cloudless warm Saturday afternoon. I also passed an early Mustang convertible, who waved. And a Corvette Stingray convertible. He had the top up and was moving too fast to wave.

How many times has another LBC passed you by in yours(club events not included)?

CinneaghTR

Jedi Warrior
Sorry that happened.

Here's an alternate perspective:

I broke down on the way to my first British Car Day near DC in '06 in the 4A and every Triumph (all TR6s) buzzed by while every MG and Austin Healey stopped and asked if I needed help.

On the way back from the Gettysburg Brit Car Show last July, every Triumph (all TR6s--go figure) passed without a nod or anything on the highway while all Healeys and MGs made sure to wave.

I think the group consensus is probably right, the MG owner had something going on that was all about them.

On my regular drives in the Maryland countryside, I rarely see LBCs, but the drivers do wave.

myspitfire

Jedi Warrior
Don't jump the gun!That lady was not discriminating;Her first intention was the ACCURATE ONE as she turned around and attempted to offer help & at the last moment saw she ALREADY had help so off she went.Lets see who's venting NOW.BUT NOW lets see how many TR folks would have helped an MG owner in distress?.....OOhh! SSuurree!..For me it wouldn't have mattered what gender or what car,Its the neighborly thing to do.Just like HERE at times when its all about BIG Triumph's against LITTLE Triumph's...In this case ya gotta STOP & smell the roses(no pun intended);-)
KensWhitelightning a Spitfire with a BIG EGO.

PATR8

Jedi Knight
I make apoint of stopping to help any LBC, any car with elder folk in, cars with young kids in.... come to think of it the only time I do not stop is if I see they have a cell and are on it and the situation looks under control. I think of my kids driving soon and would hope if they broke down some one would stop to see if they needed help

T

Tinster

myspitfire:

as I posted yesterday, I'll repeat myself today -

"I saw an MGB broken down on the side of the road a
while back when I was driving in my Jeep. Even
though I know nothing about auto mechanics, I pulled
over to see if the guy needed any of my tools or a ride.

Guess I was brought up different. Ya help other folks
when ya can. It comes back to you.

tinster

T

Tinster

Remember that mechanic who charged me $600. to
install the throwout bearing in Crypty AFTER I had
stripped the interior and pulled the tranny myself?
Remember that SOB then stiffed me and left my car
to rot in the funeral home garage for 2 months?

Guess what folks- the creep drove an old, fully
restored MGA.

Then that nice mechanic David G. from Canada flew here
to Puerto Rico and installed the T/O bearing, rear brake
cylinders, got the tranny back in, installed the brake
master cylinder, got Crypty in the streets running and
asked no fee for his time.

That's a man I am proud to know...............

Oh BTW, David is an MGB guy.

It's never the car; it's the person behind the wheel.

Dennis

Jedi Hopeful
Sorry to hear about that. I always make it a point to stop and help LBC'ers. Doesn't matter what they drive, the fact that they are driving a british car is all that matters. Doesn't matter if there are other cars around it, I still stop. I have always carried a good selection of tools and my spare VOM Meter just in case. (not to mention a little bottle of oil for the carbs.) This is all in my truck! I've been disabled on the side of the road with my spit and have pretty much figured out what I might need or hope I have...
Dennis

kc_doyle

Jedi Trainee
It's my belief that what goes around comes around. I will stop and help anyone when I can. Now days it's usualy a "thank you but I've already called someone."