• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 New TR6 owner in Tennessee USA

crash21

Country flag
Hello everyone!
My name is David and I just wanted to introduce myself and my recent purchase of a 1972 TR6.
The car came with a bunch of new parts. As expected it has a few spots with some rust. The tub is pretty solid. There are a lot of new parts some of which I have no idea what they are (sill end caps?). The frame looks solid and the cruciate plates have already been replaced. The PO had pictures of the frame after sandblasting and repair. The engine was rebuilt but never run.
I've never owned, driven, or worked on a Triumph so this is going to be a challenge as well as a whole lot of fun.
I'm looking forward to getting to know some of the experts here.
Thanks in advance for all the help and knowledge.
PB280218_zpsl0fgrnh1.jpg

PB280222_zpsqmtomxt3.jpg

PB280220_zpsyzgxtnso.jpg

PB280228_zpsbev099mg.jpg

PB280223_zpsgraitk66.jpg

PB280230_zpsole69js8.jpg

PB280226_zpsn9ahfoq8.jpg

Scot1966

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hello David, and welcome to the forum. You are in the right place, as there are many people here who will be happy to help you through whatever questions you have, or problem you come across ! You seem to have a car that is in a pretty good place to start. Sill caps/ rocker caps go at the front and rear of the rockers/ sills, and seal the inside of the rocker. I tried using new ones when I did my rockers, but they didn't fit so I will be making them myself.
imagepng

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
David you came to the right place to get advice on the restoration process. does not matter if you are going Concours, driver or modified you can get tons of helpful information here. The beauty rings on the wheels look original and if they are in good shape I would use them. I see you have the polished stainless rings also, some people like them better. Did the car come with a service manual, or parts list if not I would get them first. Any idea what the original color was, looks like it may have been white?

OP
C

crash21

Country flag
Thanks.
I am just going for a rebuild. A clean weekend driver. Upgraded parts as necessary.
I got the Haynes manual, the "How to restore Triumph TR5/250/TR6" book and an owners workshop manual.
The inside of the hood, doors and trunk lid are red..The PO said it was originally red.
No parts list.
So the beauty rings on the car (Aluminum?) look to be the originals? I am pretty sure the wheels painted black are NOT the original color.. Actually, they may be new wheels with just a black primer. I'll have to check into it.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Welcome to the asylum, David.

It's hard to be certain from your photo, but to me, those look like aftermarket chrome rings. The brushed aluminum originals had more of a corner at the outer lip and a warmer color with a little less shine. Here's a shot of what I believe are original TR6 trim rings (mounted on TR6 wheels but on my 56 TR3). Click on the thumbnail, then click the magnifying glass to zoom in.

Although it's certainly better to have your own, both Moss and TRF have good on-line parts lists. They are also the two largest parts suppliers in the US (although there are many others).
https://trf.zeni.net/TR6bluebook/?s_wt=1920&s_ht=1200
https://www.mossmotors.com/Browse/ComponentMenuProducts.aspx?WebCatalogID=12&PlateTypeID=1

I also suggest you add your name and your car (including commission number & year) to your forum signature. With so many Triumph owners, it's hard to keep track of who owns what. The forum will (usually) track that you own a TR6, but there were a lot of changes over the years.

TR3TR6

Jedi Warrior
Welcome to the forum David, you might want to invest in some of those cheap wheel dollies from Harbor Freight. You could turn the TR6 90 degrees giving you more work room all the way around. Nice Mustang!

sqbsprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Welcome David. Looks like you are starting out with a pretty solid car. My advice would be to concentrate on rust repair and prevention while it is apart. That will save you heart ache in the future. There are many trouble spots that can be minimized while prepping for paint. There is a wealth of how to info on this forum and folks are very helpful. Keep us posted with lots of photos.

OP
C

crash21

Country flag
Welcome to the asylum, David.

It's hard to be certain from your photo, but to me, those look like aftermarket chrome rings. The brushed aluminum originals had more of a corner at the outer lip and a warmer color with a little less shine. Here's a shot of what I believe are original TR6 trim rings (mounted on TR6 wheels but on my 56 TR3). Click on the thumbnail, then click the magnifying glass to zoom in.

Yes it appears that the ones show in the pic are much closer to the ones on my car. The ones I have look to be in good shape and when i went back out and looked I can see the stickers on the insides of the wheels. The wheels are new.
I have a copy of the Blue Roadster Factory book that came with the car in one of the many boxes.
I have new weatherstripping, body gasket, boot and bonnet gaskets, windscreen gaskets etc. New dash cap and control panel, 2 new door skins, new tach and speedo, new inside and outside mirrors, new exhaust, brake pads, drums and rotors. That's all I can remember right now but I haven't gone through all of the boxes yet

Welcome to the forum David, you might want to invest in some of those cheap wheel dollies from Harbor Freight. You could turn the TR6 90 degrees giving you more work room all the way around. Nice Mustang!

Already done!
We have a Harbor Freight (and Northern Tool) about 30 miles away. I just got back from buying a set of those dollies. Before I left I turned the Triumph 90 degrees.
Right now we have 3 cars in the garage. We recently moved and someone had installed a French door where the garage door under the house used to be. I've already got a garage door ordered and my wife will be able to keep her car under the house so the Triumph will have half of the garage.
Thanks for the Mustang compliment. It's kinda my "other" hobby. It's a 2013 GT while my wife has a 2013 V6 Convertible.

OP
C

crash21

Country flag
Thanks for all the welcomes.

I am so eager to get started. I drive a truck over the road so I am generally gone for 10 days, then 4 at home.
It will be a slow build and as much as I am looking forward to the day when I can pull out of the garage under its own power I am going to take my time and enjoy the build

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi David and welcome to the BCF. As others have said, you have arrived at the right place for any help you might need. Take your time and it will come out great.
Your original post says it's a '72 but your signature identifies it as a '73. Just saying!

OP
C

crash21

Country flag
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• PB290232.jpg
    PB290232.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 122
  • PB290233.jpg
    PB290233.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 132
  • PB290234.jpg
    PB290234.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 125
  • PB290235.jpg
    PB290235.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 125
  • PB290236.jpg
    PB290236.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 123
  • PB290238.jpg
    PB290238.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 125
  • PB290241.jpg
    PB290241.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 122
  • PB290248.jpg
    PB290248.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 127
  • PB290251.jpg
    PB290251.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 128
  • PB290252.jpg
    PB290252.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 126
  • PB290255.jpg
    PB290255.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 124
  • PB290256.jpg
    PB290256.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 125
  • PB290257.jpg
    PB290257.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 146
  • PB290258.jpg
    PB290258.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 129
OP
C

crash21

Country flag
Hi David and welcome to the BCF. As others have said, you have arrived at the right place for any help you might need. Take your time and it will come out great.
Your original post says it's a '72 but your signature identifies it as a '73. Just saying!
Thanks for the welcome..
It's a 72. I fixed it.

Scot1966

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
The inside of the hood, doors and trunk lid are red..The PO said it was originally red.

The hood, doors, and trunk lid may have been red originally, ( and probably from another car ) but from the pictures the tub appears to have been white originally.

OP
C

crash21

Country flag
There is a lot of red on the inside of the trunk and behind the seats and in the corners of the floor pans. I don't know if the original color was white and then it was painted red at some point in time before it was sanded. Maybe it was originally red and painted white. The red seems to be under the white.
If you look at the inside sills they are red. Also in the corners of the area behind the seat.
I don't have a commission plate on the car to know for sure but I plan on getting a certificate and ordering new plates.

gbtr6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
The front firewall/toeboard area and inner rocker look familiar to me. I did mine around 15 years ago. They aren't too hard and parts are readily available. Looks solid and would be a nice project.

Perry

Scot1966

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
There is a lot of red on the inside of the trunk and behind the seats and in the corners of the floor pans.

The red seems to be under the white.

If you look at the inside sills they are red. Also in the corners of the area behind the seat.

I think the red you are seeing is the red primer Triumph used. The inside of the sills are not painted, only primed, so they would appear red.
From my experience with my car, Triumph seam sealed over the primer before they applied the color, so most likely the corners you mention being red, is where the seam sealer is coming off. Here is my trunk after scraping off the seam sealer.

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 107
OP
C

crash21

Country flag
I think the red you are seeing is the red primer Triumph used. The inside of the sills are not painted, only primed, so they would appear red.
From my experience with my car, Triumph seam sealed over the primer before they applied the color, so most likely the corners you mention being red, is where the seam sealer is coming off. Here is my trunk after scraping off the seam sealer.

attachment.php
Ahh... Thank you. I wasn't aware of the primer color.
I'm hoping that when I get a Certificate it will shed some light on the original color. Although I really want to go Red with Tan interior so it may not matter..

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Crash, good to have you aboard. With all the traveling you do, there is a good chance to meet and see members cars.
That primer is very difficult to remove with stripper.

Wayne

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
........That primer is very difficult to remove with stripper.
Wayne
After hours of scrubbing by hand I had my body tub chemically stripped...... it was well worth it!

attachment.php

Attachments

• Body Strip7web.jpg
    Body Strip7web.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 105