• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 '73 TR6, Wiring Question. Original Owner

jdelayknee

Freshman Member
Hi Forum friends
I am replacing the wood dash, and middle plinth (love that word! it's the so-called crash device under the dash with holes to mount choke, heater switch etc) on my 73 TR6. (I am original owner) When disassembling I wrapped wires associated with various components to assist in re-assembly.
I am in the process of assembly now. I have wiring diagram from Bently and the colorized one from Auto wire. Both of these diagrams show a sold green wire for power in. Mine is purple/orange! I don't see this color on the wiring diagrams for anything.
I have done very little wiring over the years and never had work done by others that would have need for wiring changes.
I bought the car brand new and it had factory installed air conditioning. That did not work well in southern Florida at the time so I ripped it out. It was DIY 40+ years ago so my memory is suspect but I recall just disconnecting the wires from under dash and capping them. I never had need to touch the heater switch.
My original owners manual show the AC in place so that is why I say it was factory installed instead of dealer but I am not certain on that point.
2 questions:
1. Does anyone know of a wiring diagram for 73 TR6 with AC?
2. I will probably need to do some tracing now and I have heard it is best to disconnect battery and use a battery charger for power source (set at trickle charge amp setting) Anyone with details or better advice? I don't want to risk any dead shorts using the battery. I figure on hooking up the power source and checking for 12 volts on the purple/green wire.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Jerry

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Jerry- I am not much help other than I've been toiling with a similar task in my 1970 TR6. I think purple with orange tracer has to do with the seat belt warning/ ignition warning system.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Jerry,
There is a wiring diagram out there that does show that wire. Last summer I rewired a 74 TR6. I remember that wire but gave the book to the new owner.
Yes, the standard fused hot wire should be a green wire.
If nobody else comes up with the answer, I can try to contact the guy that bought the car.
Charley

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Jerry,

The Advanced Wiring drawing shows Purple/Orange for the driver door to key buzzer & one end of the seat belt light diode.

Jeff

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
One idea to prevent all the Lucas smoke from getting out is to put a 5 amp fuse in line with the battery while you install and test each circuit. That way if you happen to have a short to ground, the fuse blows rather than major heat and damage to the harness.
Cheers,
Good Luck
Scott in CA

OP
J

jdelayknee

Freshman Member
Sorry for not responding to your inputs. FYI my new dash is in place and I was able to successfully trace all the wiring issues/questions I had. I went ahead and used my battery charger set to 2 amp "trickle" setting to trace and verify voltage. It was recommended to disconnect alternator which I did. I accidentally grounded a wire here and there & got a tiny spark (nothing like the huge jolt you get off the battery). My original post was incomplete. The Purple/orange wire was related to the heater switch. Mine was not green as called for on the wiring diagram I did verify voltage associated with ignition being in run position so I just reassmeled that way and the heater blower works ok. After I rfeassembled everything and re-installed seats I thought I could have traced that line better but no way and I taking it apart again. It works, no smoke or blown fuses so I'm cool
Thanks again for your thoughtful comments. IMG_5375.jpg