• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Bugeye owner

M

Member 10617

Hi, Bugeye owners.

For the past 6 years, I have had a Triuimph TR3A and have been on the Triumph site (great site, great guys, great information). But now I am selling the Triumph and have bought a 1961 Bugeye and have shifted over to this good site. The car is in the shop having a few things done to it, so I haven't yet brought it home. Once here, I'm sure I will have many, many questions.

I had a 1960 Bugeye back in1960, but that was 55 years ago (!) and I have forgotten everything I once knew about it.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Congratulations on the new Bugeye!

If I may ask, what sparked the switch?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Congratulations on the new Bugeye!

If I may ask, what sparked the switch?

well duh! Obviously he wants a car that works <runs and hides>

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Welcome to the Spridget side! Like many of us I'm in the restoration process on my Bugeye, but also enjoy other LBCs. I've always had a soft spot for Triumphs since that's what I grew up with, but wanted to try the Bugeye and MGB side of things. I think they all have their own charm and you can't really go wrong with any of them. Enjoy and post many pictures!
Rut

OP
M

Member 10617

What prompted the switch? Well... I tinkered with the TR3 for about 3 years to get it running without any problems. Then I continued to drive it for three years with only a flat tire once! Great car. Great fun. But I came to the point where I had done just about everyting I wanted to do with the Triumph and decided to switch.

Backstory: When I was in college -- long ago -- I had a 1960 Sprite Bugeye purchased new that year. It was a great car, but under-powered and too small for what I wanted to do. So I traded it in on a used 1958 TR3A. Many years later -- 2009 -- I bought my TR3 and enjoyed it very much. But, now, as I said, I've done everything I wanted to do with it. So I decided to return to the 1960 Bugeye... and bought one yesterday. Doesn't make much sense, I agree, but I am enjoying the change.

The TR3 is a great machine -- great ride, plenty of power -- but not as much fun as the Bugeye, in my opinion.

By the way, it has been so long since I was on the Triumph forum that I have forgottenhow to post photos. Can someone help? And if I don't answer immediately, it is because I have to go to Tucson, AZ, tomorrow for about a week.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
M

Member 10617

By the way... it has been so long since I was on the Triumph forum, that I have forgotten how to post pictues. Can someone help? And if I don't respond immediately, it is because I have to fly ut to Tucson, AZ, tomorow for eight days and won't be back until around the 21st.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
By the way... it has been so long since I was on the Triumph forum, that I have forgotten how to post pictues. Can someone help? And if I don't respond immediately, it is because I have to fly ut to Tucson, AZ, tomorow for eight days and won't be back until around the 21st.

easiest way to post pictures is to use a photo hosting site like photobucket and post the links - you can upload (which you can do through the advanced part of the reply below) but, the pictures have to be small and you are limited to a total number of pics you can post.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Welcome to the light side of the Force! I'm at the other bookend of Sprite production with a '69 Mark IV, but there's still a fair amount of commonality between the BEs and the later Square Sprites, especially the BEs that have had the 1275 transplant.