• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Original Owner Factory 100M

mrunci

Country flag
Last night I watched what I believe to be a current episode of Chasing Classic Cars on Velocity. One of the featured "finds" was a one owner factory original 100M in Minnesota. The car was red over black and appeared to be highly original and not restored.
Does anyone have any further information on the current whereabouts of this car? Did anyone else see the show?
Matt Runci

bdcvg

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I saw that episode too, all the cars the deceased Husband left were awesome and appeared unrestored.

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
This episode is a repeat. You could call Wayne for further info on the car. https://www.f40.com

healey106

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I called The shop, they said it was Wayne's so I left a message and sent an email, but have not received a response. best of luck:driving:

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Was my understanding he was going to take it to one of the big name auctions ( RM, Gooding) and put it for sale as "an original, unrestored 100M, etc )

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior
Just checked his inventory....not much interested me...expected alot more for someone with his exposure...suprised by the number of late model cars..

mk31755

Country flag
I talked to this gentleman. I also asked some reputable people about him and their response was less than complementary. He claims the car is an all original factory 100M. He told me he expected to get $250,000 for the car. He told me there was ZERO rust on the car and that all the panels were rust free. I don't know if he has ever owned or really inspected a British car. We'll know better after the Amelia Island Auction.

Country flag
I talked to this gentleman. I also asked some reputable people about him and their response was less than complementary. He claims the car is an all original factory 100M. He told me he expected to get $250,000 for the car. He told me there was ZERO rust on the car and that all the panels were rust free. I don't know if he has ever owned or really inspected a British car. We'll know better after the Amelia Island Auction.

IF this the red/black, one-owner original car featured on 'Chasing Classic Cars' it will almost certainly go for $250K or more. That car had something like 30K miles and was well-maintained until garaged when the owner died (his widow, I believe, consigned the car to Wayne Carini). Carini knows Healeys, he knew what to look for on an M (though he could have gotten all the info he needed from Reid ;)). The one thing he didn't get was that not all 100Ms got the little red 'M' on the grill badge, as that was apparently given out somewhat capriciously by the Healeys and/or their dealers and techs (and, could have been lost as they're just attached with thin copper wire; at least our repo is).

Carini knows cars, but comes off to me--at least from what I see on TV--as a bit oily as do all the 'flippers' that seem to favor exotic hardware. Contrast him with Jay Leno, who is overexposed but genuinely loves owning his cars and is not interested in making a quick buck off them (of course, Leno is richer than Croesus already).

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
It appears that the full Amelia Island catalog is not yet available. If you click on Randy's link for the Scottsdale auction, and open the e-catalog, you will find a single picture of the car at the back of the catalog. But scroll through the catalog at your own risk, as there is every manner of motoring goodness in there that you will want to bid on.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
...The one thing he didn't get was that not all 100Ms got the little red 'M' on the grill badge, as that was apparently given out somewhat capriciously by the Healeys and/or their dealers and techs (and, could have been lost as they're just attached with thin copper wire; at least our repo is).

Now, now, let's keep it real. They weren't given out capriciously, and they weren't given out by dealers and techs. From what we have learned via the registries and reliable first-hand accounts is that at least many - probably most - 100Ms came with them. The "M" badge doesn't have a part number. You couldn't order one. It was never a listed element of the 100M specification. If Geoff gave one or two to favorite customers - as some enjoy relating, third hand, and none of these customers have ever come forward to recount the tale - that doesn't disprove the rule.

The "M" badge: Found only on the 640 100Ms, and occasionally in myth. Of course, they have long been reproduced (often incorrectly) and so the only real surprise is that there are still a few Hundreds without them!

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
As Reid mentioned, the reproduction M badges I have seen and purchased - as the original on my car was long gone - are not correctly made. The angle on the M does not match the angle on the 100 script so looks a bit off. Got mine from AH Spares and know Moss sells the same piece supplied by AH Spares. Think the one sold by VB is also from AH Spares but not verified. If anyone knows of another vendor who has made up the correct M, let us all know !!!

RA_Healey

George Fink, the owner of that 100-M was at one time a member of the Minnesota Healey Club although he did not readily attend events. We had been after him for a number of year to join which he eventually did.

I had a couple of conversations with him many years ago and went over to his house about 25 years or so. He let me take photos of his car. I saw the TV show and it looked the same to me. It is truly an all original car rust free car in very good condition as portrayed on the TV show, including the original top, tires, tool kit, etc. etc. etc. I think it had at the time between 25,000 - 27,000 miles when I saw it.

It will be interesting to see what it sells for. It is also on the 100 M registry under factory cars as F015.

Country flag
Now, now, let's keep it real. They weren't given out capriciously, and they weren't given out by dealers and techs. From what we have learned via the registries and reliable first-hand accounts is that at least many - probably most - 100Ms came with them. The "M" badge doesn't have a part number. You couldn't order one. It was never a listed element of the 100M specification. If Geoff gave one or two to favorite customers - as some enjoy relating, third hand, and none of these customers have ever come forward to recount the tale - that doesn't disprove the rule.

The "M" badge: Found only on the 640 100Ms, and occasionally in myth. Of course, they have long been reproduced (often incorrectly) and so the only real surprise is that there are still a few Hundreds without them!

I sit corrected. We got one of the repos for our car; would love to have a correct one (want a proper windscreen seal even more).

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag

On the originals, the wires come off the sides of the M and wrap around the 100 flash in the angles of the lightning bolt. That way they are pretty much invisible.

On this reproduction the wires are attached top and bottom, thereby assuring that they will be very visible when wrapped over the top and under the bottom of the flash. Kind of hard to believe that anyone could get it wrong like that.

That said, there were very few 100Ms sold in England, so maybe they didn't have even a single original to look at and just made a bad guess?

AH100M

Jedi Trainee
I got a properly-made reproduction "M" some years ago. I don't know from whom. The wires are correctly attached and the angle of the "M" looks right.

M.jpg

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
The M badge from "ahead4healeys" looks like the one sold by AH Spares. Perfect example of what is wrong with the reproduction badges out there. The legs on the M should be at a slight angle versus straight and the top needs to have a similar small angle to match the angle of the 100 script. One Bill posted looks perfect - now we just need to copy his !!!

AH100M

Jedi Trainee
I found the envelope that my "M" badge came in. It's got one label, marked EMB M151, and it's from Sports & Classics in CT - 203 655-8731/2. There's also another label on it marked as follows: 11-436 A EMB151M 504641 95000823. Might help someone who wants an original-appearing "M".

I also found an article from the April-May 1988 Austin-Healey Magazine by Reid entitled "The Case for the "100 Le Mans" Grill (sic) Badge". If anyone wants a copy let me know - I can scan it in and post it, with Reid's approval of course.