• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Advice of Bugeye buy and use

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
View attachment 48188

I had a Porsche Speedster reproduction made by CMC that got just as much as my bugeye. If it had not been made by CMC I would still have it. IMO, Vintage and Beck make the best Speedster reproductions. Beck even makes a Porsche 904 Reproduction. But, I think it’s over 100-K ! Any of you old enough to remember the 904’s?

I was just at the shop that did the metal work on my BJ7 for the V8 install and saw a 904 sitting on the floor. Naturally, I assumed it was a repro. Imagine my shock when I was told it was a real one.

nomad

Yoda
View attachment 48188

I had a Porsche Speedster reproduction made by CMC that got just as much as my bugeye. If it had not been made by CMC I would still have it. IMO, Vintage and Beck make the best Speedster reproductions. Beck even makes a Porsche 904 Reproduction. But, I think it’s over 100-K ! Any of you old enough to remember the 904’s? One sold at Barrett Jackson a year ago for 1.6 million, a real one...

Of the many woulda, coulda's I've had I came very close to buying a 904 on its trailer at Road America in the late 60's or early 70's...don't remember for sure. Do remember I could have had it for right at 9K. Had visions of turning it into a really neat street car. At the time it was just an old no longer competitive race car. Figured on changing cams and a few other items since it was still basically the Porsche flat engine.

Kurt.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Coming back to the original question a 2CV would be awesome - and a 2CV panel truck would even be awesomer!

I would also draw your attention to 25 year old Kei cars.

Nissan Pao, Daihatsu Midget, Nissan Figaro (getting crazy expensive), Nissan S Cargo. All these will be super low mileage - capable of highway speeds and often have AC as well. Oh and the VW van conversion.

1200px-Nissan_Pao_001.jpgDaihatsu-Midget-2-1553-004.jpgG20_1989_Nissan_Scargovan01_01.jpgimages.jpgnissan-figaro-buying-guide-and-review-1991-4586_11122_640X470.jpg

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Back in the mid to late 80s a friend of mine bought a 930 which we auto crossed and took to the Mitty, etc. I had an RX7 at the time and changing from that at the Mitty to a 930 was the most unnerving thing I've ever done in a car! Another friend bought a 904 in CA and drove it back to Birmingham in time for the Mitty that year and was having it prepped for his first track day by the local Porsche guru and it was absolutely beautiful! On his first lap he didn't return in a timely manner and finally showed up via tow truck...the engine caught fire and did a moderate amount of damage. He was the most dejected person I had ever seen!
Rut

OP
M

mikeamondo

Jedi Hopeful
@jpsmit - Thanks for the pics and ideas. Some of those are really cool.... I really like the little Nissan Figaro. I had never heard of that car. The Bugeye is still the choice, though... I guess I've caught the fever! Our magazine is mainly modern daily drivers.... F150's and Honda Accords.... evenly split between foreign and domestic. So a 'mascot' of sorts pulled from what's in the magazine would be quite boring. The Bugeye solves two wants... 1) we want a car to draw attention to our display in tradeshows and parades, and 2) I want a car to play with. Two birds with one stone, as they say! Looks like we're ready to seriously shop around now, so I'll keep you posted!

OP
M

mikeamondo

Jedi Hopeful
So.... this one looks nice, but is out of my price range, however ..... I have a question. One pic shows the regular full windshield, and another pic shows small individual windscreens. Is the windscreen normally interchangeable on these cars or is this a special modification? Sorry if that's a stupid question... just was baffled at seeing it both ways on one car.
https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/6049121939.html

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The Bugeye windshield is easily removable with four screws holding it in place. The small windows are known as Brooklands screens and repros are pretty inexpensive: https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=32054 Whether they are legal for road use is a question for your state and windshield wipers won't work with them. Some "Snoopy and the Red Baron" goggles might help while you're driving.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
So.... this one looks nice, but is out of my price range, however ..... I have a question. One pic shows the regular full windshield, and another pic shows small individual windscreens. Is the windscreen normally interchangeable on these cars or is this a special modification? Sorry if that's a stupid question... just was baffled at seeing it both ways on one car.
https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/6049121939.html
That's a nice looking Bugeye at a decent price and has some very 'driveable' upgrades. You are starting your search at the peak price time of year, but it never hurts to make an offer...you never know.
Rut

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
I might (and probably should) be crucified for saying this but-
Any Spridget (any year, any model) can accept a Bugeye bonnet (simple bolt-on modification) and this gives you a far less expensive and slightly more useful (opening trunk lid) vehicle.
Let the flaming begin!.......
BillM

Country flag
Windscreen is held in place by 4 screws, so it is fairly easy to remove. The small racing windscreens are often referred to as Brookland style windscreens and are a aftermarket add on.

OP
M

mikeamondo

Jedi Hopeful
I might (and probably should) be crucified for saying this but-
Any Spridget (any year, any model) can accept a Bugeye bonnet (simple bolt-on modification) and this gives you a far less expensive and slightly more useful (opening trunk lid) vehicle.
Let the flaming begin!.......
BillM
It's funny this came up... the first "Bugeye" that caught my eye was a faux-bugeye for sale in FL. Still on CL as a matter of fact. I even spoke with the seller and he mentioned it was not a true bugeye. I looked up pics of the real thing and that was that. It no longer looked 'cute'... it just looked.... wrong. I really think the back of the bugeye is as perfect as the front... They really had it right, bumper to bumper.

nomad

Yoda
"Minor corrosion at lower windshield cowling". If that means at the bottom of the A post that is not a good thing. It can only get worse and expensive to fix so to me, that makes this one considerably over priced. Bottom of the A post, behind the rear wheel's, and front of the rockers are commonly where rust through starts.

Kurt.

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Ok here is my two cents.I saw that picture of the Craig list Bugeye at least two years ago with the green frog so the pictures are a little old. A lot can happen to a Bugeye in a few short years.
You're best solution is to fly to San Diego and take a test drive in my Bugeye. Then you will have something to go by when you look at all the other Bugeyes. I can also Drive you over to see Bill M who can probably answer any question you can come up with. As a last resort I can take you to see John Felt who I mentioned before in this thread and if he is still putting together Loomis you could take a look at that. And as a really last resort we could drive up to Los Angeles and see why the present Bugeye in Old English White listed on E-Bay is supposedly worth $33,000. I would like to know that also.

OP
M

mikeamondo

Jedi Hopeful
Ok here is my two cents.I saw that picture of the Craig list Bugeye at least two years ago with the green frog so the pictures are a little old. A lot can happen to a Bugeye in a few short years.
You're best solution is to fly to San Diego and take a test drive in my Bugeye. Then you will have something to go by when you look at all the other Bugeyes. I can also Drive you over to see Bill M who can probably answer any question you can come up with. As a last resort I can take you to see John Felt who I mentioned before in this thread and if he is still putting together Loomis you could take a look at that. And as a really last resort we could drive up to Los Angeles and see why the present Bugeye in Old English White listed on E-Bay is supposedly worth $33,000. I would like to know that also.
That sounds like a truly awesome weekend.... wish I had the time and extra money to do it...
I've only been watching the market for a short time, so my two cents is actually worth about one, but that Barrett Jackson car may have artificially inflated stuff for a while.... it only takes two deep pockets at one auction to drive up a single item to sky high prices. That raises the hopes of everyone who wants to sell one, but it doesn't represent a real world value. I've not bought and sold cars, but I've seen it again and again in the little antiques and odds and ends I buy and sell. It seems to me that eBay completed listings is a good indicator of the low end, and BaT may be a good indicator of the higher end of the range when researching current values.

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I am more then half serious. The problem is you usually can't find what you are looking for in your back yard. My Quest for what I consider my perfect Bugeye took me to Seattle twice, San Francisco once and Omaha Nebraska and Los Angeles. I finally found what I was looking for just outside of Oakland California.

Country flag
I'd get in touch with the Healey Clubs in Ohio and put the word out.

nomad

Yoda
I'll take half that for mine and its a rust free Calli car as well!:rolleyes2:

Kurt.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
While the Bugeye is certainly more iconic -- the later Spridgets are worth a look, and may be more practical for your purposes, like having a retractable roof and an opening boot lid. I can tell you my '69 Sprite turns heads and starts conversations. The rubber-bumpered Midgets can be had for some pretty amazing prices considering the market these days.

OP
M

mikeamondo

Jedi Hopeful
Ok guys, have a look at this one... you may recognize it from eBay. I've spoken with the owner... I believe he's a straight up guy and has offered the car at a good price... Top is new, bow is in good shape, side curtains new, front brakes converted to disc. He's not certain what engine the car has, if it's original or has been changed... he listed it as 1100, but immediately will tell you he's not sure. Based on his description of power and driving in hilly terrain, I'm guessing it's a 948 or 1100. To revisit my original post, the car would be used primarily for taking to shows and now so much for regular cruising. Also... I don't hate the idea of planning for and executing an engine upgrade in the future.... What are your thoughts.... what would be a good price.... anything horrible pop out of the pics at you? Thanks!

cowl.jpgeng.jpgfender 1.jpgfender 2.jpginter 2.jpginter.jpgrear view 2.jpgrear view.jpgs-l1600 (1).jpgs-l1600.jpgunderside 2.jpgundersie.jpg