• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 starter motor advice

edkap2002

Country flag
Hi all.....I hope this gets to the right place....went to start my 72 TR6 today (ran fine yesterday) and all I get is one loud click from the starter/solenoid when I turn the ignition key...suggestions? I believe it is the original unit

when I disconnected and reconnected the battery...starter worked fine.....thoughts?

Last edited:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
My first step: tap the solenoid with a small hammer - maybe it's stuck inside. Then try again.

Could also be a dead/dying battery. Check the battery voltage.

OP
edkap2002

edkap2002

Country flag
My first step: tap the solenoid with a small hammer - maybe it's stuck inside. Then try again.

Could also be a dead/dying battery. Check the battery voltage.
And then I disconnected the battery...reconnected the battery.....starter cranks fine...wtf?

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
The click noise is the electromagnet that closes the high amp circuit to actually power the starter. Your experience is normal as hearing the click only is almost always a sign of low amps in the battery, bad connection on one of the big wires that actually power the starter thru the solenoid, or a bad solenoid. Yours was apparently the connection.
Bob

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Ed - you might want to remove both cables from the battery, and wire brush the two terminal posts, as well as the inside of the cable clamps.

I use one of these:

terminal brush.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
If you can hear the solenoid "click" it is likely working. After all connections are cleaned and certain (ground wire at the chassis as well), if it happens again, then thump the STARTER with a hammer as the start circuit is engaged. If the starter spins up you have the problem located. Shocking the starter physically jars the brushes on the commutator and changes the contact point slightly.

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
To be clear, the hammer hit is a moderate tap, not a blow. If its the solenoid and that doesn't do it, get a new solenoid. Unless you are really pi**ed, then a good beating befor the new solenoid.
Bob

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Yes if it clicks the solenoid is fine it only takes a small amount of AMP's to pull it in. On the other hand a lot more AMPs to turn the starter against the motor. Starters have two things that fail and or work poorly. brushes and bearings. First put a full charge on your battery or use jumper cables from another battery . If it is an org 1972 starter it could be time for a rebuild or replacement. Motor shop can rebuild for about the same price of a new geared one as OEM are not out there as new. Note Battery's work this way AMPs and volts are not the same, you can read 12.5 volts but a weak battery will not have the stated Amps say 60 Amp. If your battery is older than it's rated life it may be done and time to replace. Take the battery to a parts house for a test ( FREE ) that is my best guess.

OP
edkap2002

edkap2002

Country flag
Here is the upshot of my starter problem!

Caple on starter from battery was one quarter turn loose.

I removed battery cables, cleaned terminals (which were not showing signs of corrosion).
I removed power cable from starter (filthy but not corroded), cleaned terminals, sprayed with electrical connection cleaner, reattached and tightened properly.

While I was at it, I changed out the 52 year old fuse box as I suspected that the terminals were not as conductive as they were when new.

Result, my 72 TR6 cranks right up and starts immediately.

ADDED BONUS........MY INSTRUMENT PANEL LIGHTING IS BRIGHTER THAN IT HAS EVER BEEN IN THE YEARS THAT IVE OWNED THE CAR. i CAN ACTUALLY SEE THE COLORS ON MY TACH AT NIGHT!

DougME

Country flag
I learned the hammer vs starter trick from my dad. Also works if the pinion gear gets stuck.
Ask me how I know!
On my old TR- with a sticky solenoid I used to surprise my friends by pulling the bonnet release, reaching out the window and lifting the bonnet a few inches and dropping it. The vibration was enough to jar things into action and start the engine.