• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Stag 1973 Triumph Stag on eBay

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yeah, this is a <span style="font-style: italic">shameless</span> plug for my own car. :cry:

After driving "Uncle Jack" onto the enclosed FedEx trailer early Friday morning 12 February 2010, it is time for my own - "semi famous" Stag to go too so I can make room for two other Triumphs :crazy: and <span style="font-weight: bold">FINALLY</span> start their restoration.

So, "IAN" is on the block.
I have had an absolute hoot of a time owning this Stag driving it literally coast-to-coast and border-to-border in the USA with no problems, over 65K miles.
Is it perfect? Get real, it is a Triumph that gets DRIVEN!! :driving:
Reserve price is fair considering the condition and extreme reliability this car has provided me over the past 7 years.

3841267916_0157da6973_b.jpg

Yes, that is "uncle jack" behind IAN on our way down from the Summit of Pikes Peak,

See IAN's eBay listing 1973 Triumph Stag on eBay https://tinyurl.com/yjcppjx

Thanks!

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Glenn,

Why do you tempt me like this?I wish that I could
buy it.I hope that it gets sold to the right person.
You might want to relist it at "Income Tax Time".
That's what I'm planning on doing with the Cortina.
Hey,do you want to trade for a Cortina?

- Doug

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
Doug, you must buy this car. It's sooper nice. The Stag commands you! Buy me, buy me NOW! (how's that Glenn, did I earn my $50?) Just kidding. It's a nice car. I've seen it in action a couple of times. Glenn, you must trade for the Cort... Who am I kidding, the Stag commands him! :jester:

I missed you this year at the Conclave! To think I was the only one representing Stags this year? And my wife drove it there and back. I even drove the Herald on Ride the Rockies. 499.9 miles over 3 days, first time on the road since '77, only leaked 2 gallons of oil. Needs a rear main. That's just not right, 2 (mostly)working British cars in my fleet and no Glenn! The end is nigh.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I just bought the MGB GT,& we're up to TEN cars.
No more room.I've got to quit looking at other cars.
Then again,if I throw in the Datsuns...........
And there's a Stag that I have a lead on a couple of
hours away,and.......

- Doug

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
Hmm,

mumbles to himself, how can I hide this, justify the money.

<sigh>

:cry:

OP
StagByTriumph

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Okay all,

Doug, I am REALLY tempting you NOW!!! Price is <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #3366FF">reduced</span></span> in the re-listing!!

Dave, thanks for the auction plugs ...

So EVERYONE, you have a ...
<span style="font-size: 14pt">
<span style="color: #33CC00">Second chance</span></span> ... I had to cancel my auction due to a bidding snafu with the two high bidders.

So it is now <span style="font-size: 14pt">relisted</span>

as Item #250584944710 on the US Ebay Motors site, <span style="font-weight: bold">new </span> <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #009900">reduced reserve and buy it now</span></span>.

1973 Triumph Stag EBAY Item 250584944710

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/...584944710&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MESELX:IT

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Interesting that you put in the Rover engine. See this clip by Clarkson on the Triumph Staaaag...

y_Rdp1U" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

OP
StagByTriumph

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yeah I have seen the Clarkson TopGear videos. He got it wrong.
This is From the Austin Rover site:

<span style="font-style: italic">So, why no Rover V8?

The V8 had already been evolved from a 2.5- to three-litre unit by this time, and where it once used fuel injection, reliability issues forced the use of a carburettor set-up instead. Certainly it was a compact and light unit, but it was not without its fair share of problems. Without doubt, there was still a great deal of in-house rivalry between Rover and Triumph, and it is understandable that Triumph engineers would have been less than keen to use (what they perceived as) its rival's engine in the forthcoming flagship.

King, however, was more pragmatic – and did raise questions.

King recalled: "I was told that they tried to put it in and you could not put it in and I believed them. I probably shouldn’t have believed it.” However, the decision was not just based upon the pride of Triumph, but also one of production capacity. He continued: "...there were big investments, which had been recently made in both companies for making V8 engines. There wasn’t the capacity for stuffing them in Stags as well. If you are organized to make something, you have got to have a go at the balance between capacity for making things and what they plan (probably dead wrongly because that’s what they normally get wrong more than anything else) is planned amount of sales of any given future motor car. As planned, as I remember it, there wouldn’t have been the spare capacity for V8 engines from the Rover Company to put into Stags. That was an extra thing that people forget about." </span>

So the first reason was, no added manufacturing for the anticipated extra capacity - something like 20K a year expected.

The second reason was, Spen actually LIKED the Triumph OHC V8 and thought he could make a go of it. Had the budget been available he would have succeeded.

Back to My Stag ...

If you read the description in my Ebay auction, the reason I installed the Rover is detailed there.

When I bought this Stag I already had another one undergoing a full restoration.

The PO had done 90% of the engine machining for the Rover and all the conversion parts in boxes, so I saw an opportunity to see what it would be like and experience the conversion tasks first hand.
It paid off for club members, I could answer their conversion questions with some real world experience, and since it was all nut-n-bolt conversion, it can still be reversed with the OE engine and transmission.

And it paid off for me as I got to promote the Stag in North America from both sides of the discussion.

Happy Bidding!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Just curious, Glenn, where did you find the 3.43 gears? Could that be a typo, and what you have are 3.45 gears from a Triumph sedan or PI TR5/6?

And aren't they still kind of short for the pushrod engine & 14" tires?

swift6

Yoda
The shortage of supply for the Rover V8 was also given as the reason that the TR8 came about so late. The wedge was designed from the get-go to accomodate the Rover V8 (never the Triumph V8). The TR7 was originally supposed to have three engine options. 2.0 litre 8v, 2.0 litre 16v and 3.5 litre V8. To be badged as TR7, TR7 Sprint and TR7 V8 respectively.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Glenn,

OK,I'll send you a check - just don't cash it until I'm
gone,& my Wife receives the news,& insurance!

- Doug

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
AngliaGT said:
Glenn,

OK,I'll send you a check - just don't cash it until I'm
gone,& my Wife receives the news,& insurance!

- Doug

Nice one!

But Doug, the reserve commands you like large stinky radioactive boots to send ca$h! THEY COMMAND YOU TO BUY THIS STAG WITH MONEY! they command you... command you...

OK Glenn, it's up to $150 you owe me now. Happy?

OP
StagByTriumph

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
TR3driver said:
Just curious, Glenn, where did you find the 3.43 gears? Could that be a typo, and what you have are 3.45 gears from a Triumph sedan or PI TR5/6?

And aren't they still kind of short for the pushrod engine & 14" tires?

Probably a typo - the old brain ain't like it never was ..., I would need to look at my Victoria British invoice. They have them listed I think in their TR6 catalog for some reason.

When I re chipped the 14CUX to remove the 5250 redline - thanks to "Stunned Buffalo" Franc Buxton, the top end really scared me at 6000 rpm in 5th it was willing to go right up to 7k, but I was not.

OP
StagByTriumph

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I gotta tell you Doug,
I really had a blast on HWY 1 going north to meet up with John and Triumph Travelers in Monterey. I mean, the Stag is a great car for that road and the many more like it you have in California. :banana:
I REALLY te'ed off the wife though, I was having a LOT of fun not sparing the gas or tires to get to the meet-n-greet in time, there were quite a few gasps and holding on white knuckle as I was grabbing gears before corners and passing in the infrequent passing areas. I think she had to double her blood pressure medicine that evening.
I would really like to see this car on that road south of you.
:driving:

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Glenn,

I wish you would have come up to Eureka.
If you had,maybe your car would be in my garage
now.
We're "Not at the end of the world - but you-
can see it from here".I seem to have bade luck with
connecting with Forum members when they're in our
area.
If anyone else makes it out here - PLEASE!
let me know.

- Doug

OP
StagByTriumph

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'll tell you what Doug:

You buy this car for for, or above the reserve,
I will split the drive out delivery cost and drive it out to you in Eureka - or, meet you at a rail head with a ramp when you are hauling an empty flat or rail car carrier back to through your area.

All you gotta do is drive me to the closest major airport that has a direct cheap flight to Denver.

Bidding ends in TWO DAYS FOLKS!!

Triumph Stag on Ebay https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/...584944710&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MESELX:IT

OP
StagByTriumph

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag