• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

14 inch wheels

64Elan

Okay, as long as I'm posting on the Triumph area I might as well ask this question.

My Elan has the same bolt pattern as your Triumphs for the most part. Are 14 inch wheels available in 3 3/4 in bc that I'm not aware of? As you all know the 14 inch wheels will give me more tire options.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
If you Go 15's and can handle a 205 x 50 as the TR7's do I would go that way.
Not a lot of 14" choices like the 13's

OP
64Elan

64Elan

Thank, but I think 15 inch would be way too big and 205's too wide. Minilite does make a 14 inch in 5.5 and 6 inch wide but not sure if they offer it for the Elan. You're right though, even 14 tires are getting harder to find.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
You might want to investigate a bit closer; the low profile can more than make up for 2" of rim diameter, and you don't have to go as wide as 205 if you don't have room.

I bought new 14" wheels for my Stag, and I'm sorry I didn't get 15s instead.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Mr. Elan. Shame on Doc for not mentioning this in the Lotus Forum,and I know he stops by there for a few CABs quite often. One of our sponsors sells just what you want. You might want to check them out.

swift6

Yoda
The 4x3.75 bolt pattern that Lotus used is shared with the Herald, Spitfire, GT6, Vitesse, TR7/8 and a few other Triumph models that were not imported in any great number over here. Like your Lotus, they all used 13 inch wheels.

Like Don posted, there isn't a whole lot more tire choice in 14" sizes. The wheel choice for that bolt pattern is very small as well. I recently resorted to using an adapter and changed my bolt pattern. Problem solved for me.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The Elan will have problems with clearance both on the outer upper fender lip and inner well up front, the rear outer lip, with anything wider/larger diameter than the 13" rims and a 185/70 tire. +2 wheels could be used (they are 1/2" wider) but the front clearances (or lack of) are still an issue . Check out Tire Rack, call 'em to see what they have in 13" offerings at the moment. Coker may have some choices as well...

...unless you want to flare and bulge the wheel wells. :shocked:

To accomodate a bigger contact patch really requires a LOT of redesign of the standard Elan bodywork and geometry. It's a slippery slope. And gets REALLY expensive very quickly.

swift6

Yoda
I realize that my TR8 has more room than an Elan to do plus sizing but I just recently made a +3 sizing change and the rolling diameter of the new 16" wheels is only .31% different than the original 185/70 rolling diameter. So the diameter can be made a non-issue if the right tire choices are available. The extra width that may be necessary simply from limited choices in tires could be another issue.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
On that beast it really is, Shawn. You can barely get a pencil between lip and rubber as it is with a 185/70-13. Wider at the same diameter would remove chunks of coachwork on a full-lock turn if you ran over a pea... :shocked: :jester:

OP
64Elan

64Elan

Thanks for all the response. I'll stick with what I have and 175/70-13 tires. As you go up in size then the tires and wheels all get heavier etc. My fenders are flared slightly which at some point will get taken back to stock so I'm hoping that somone steps up and starts making 13 inch tire again that will fit Elans and Spidgits, and Triumph's, etc with some sticky compounds. Sorry for posting here, but I had the gas cap issue I needed to identify, and I knew Triumph shared the same bolt pattern so I thought this was a good place to start.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Just don't let it happen again :jester:

Great to have you,and Doc gets giddy when a Loti question pops up.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
This IS a good place to start. :laugh:

And YES, DOn... I'm AbsLUtEly ChuFfeD when a Lotus issue is raised. :jester:

64Elan... what gas cap issue? If you look at Norton bikes of the era you'll see the same cap. Morgans used 'em too.