• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Four inch wider TR3 photos available!

TR3Mod

Freshman Member
Hi folks

Finally got around to posting some photos of 'The project'. if you'd like to see what I'm up to you can go to www.photobucket.com. Find me by entering TR3Mod in the search field. My photos should come up. To enlarge the image just click onto the thumbnail. I've included a title with each photo to direct you to the main idea in each picture. I'd like to get your feedback and answer any questions you guys might have. The project is going very smoothly, and I'm having way too much fun with this.

Cheers, and have a great Christmas. Just remember Joseph Lucas's last words.... 'Never drive at night!'

TR3Mod

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Holy Sawzall Batman!

that's pretty sweet. That's gonna be a WIDE tranny tunnel - you could cook a turkey under there!

I like it!

I'm such a moron - I'm thinking "Where the heck did those trailing arms come from"....

duh... TR6...

So what are you going to do with the dash? You could split it and build a bigger center console with 4 more guages! Or install a DVD screen!

4 inches doesn't sound like much but jeez... that is going to be pretty cool!

OP
T

TR3Mod

Freshman Member
Hey,

Transmission cover will be stock- the floor pan grows inwards, 2 inches added to each one. Your comment about where the trailing arms came from is just what I want to hear. This thing is supposed to provide exactly that reaction.

vrod

makes me want to build one too. How similar to the tr6 is the tr3 wheelbase? congratulations! Your living many of our dreams.

G

Fits on a TR6 chassis - hmm, when are you coming out with the kit?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
That's great. If you run aeroscreens, then you won't have to figure out what to do about widening the windsheild. Of course, that might not be too much of a problem on the 3, as the windsheild is flat.

We're doing a similar mod at the Long Island Triumph Association . (Click on TR6 + 6) We're widening a TR6 by six inches. One big concern, is of course the windsheild. One other problem was widening the rack and pinion. We basically cut it in half and welded additional sections in. After the body was off, we found that the original frame was just too far gone to widen, so we built a new one. That's when the owner of the car and the shop we are using got the idea to build new frames for TR's. You've probably seen them advertised. Anyway, because of that, the TR6+6 got put on hold for awhile.

Are you going to relocate the steering and pedals now that the cockpit is wider?? Since we went 3 inches wider on each side, moving those items only makes sense in order to take advantqage of the extra width. Also, is there room for the six cylinder engine?? That would be cool. Actually, there be plenty of room for a small Ford V8.

Keep us posted on the progress, and the pitfalls you run into. The more I think about this, the better I like it. It's a much more sensible project then widening a TR6. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
The reason for doing this is to fit a TR6 chassis?

A lot of work but sure looks like you are doing a super job of it.

Bruce

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
[ QUOTE ]
We're widening a TR6 by six inches.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not being at all facetious here - why?

Bruce

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
That's great. If you run aeroscreens, then you won't have to figure out what to do about widening the windsheild. Of course, that might not be too much of a problem on the 3, as the windsheild is flat.

[/ QUOTE ] Ahh...point of fact: the TR2/3 windshield is NOT flat. It has a bit of a "convex" bow in it, added early on in the development of the TR2 prototypes.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We're widening a TR6 by six inches.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not being at all facetious here - why?

Bruce

[/ QUOTE ]

The owner of the car just felt that the TR6 should be wider. He's also putting in the aluminium V8 Rover engine. Besides it's become a Saturday project for the club members. Other then that, there is no good reason to do this. As I mentioned earlier, widening the TR3 makes much more sense, as there is an available chassis to drop it on that doesn't need big modifications. There will be some problems with widening the TR3, but they only involve the body, and not the whole car. To me, the end result of the TR3 widening will yeild a much improved car that will be very subtle in what was done as opposed the the TR6+6 project./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif

Edit: By the way, will this be a wide narrow mouth, or a wide wide mouth??

swift6

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
makes me want to build one too. How similar to the tr6 is the tr3 wheelbase? congratulations! Your living many of our dreams.

[/ QUOTE ]

TR2's thru TR6's all have an 88" wheelbase, 7's and 8's have an 85" wheel base. The main difference dimension wise between the body on frame TR's is their "track width" which is why widening the TR3 body will allow it to fit onto the TR6 chassis.

The body on Frame TR's are an interesting implementation of automotive evolution.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
T

TR3Mod

Freshman Member
Front cowling is a small mouth and will have 1 inch added on either side and 2 inches right up the middle. I'm hoping this will keep the basic proportions.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
The body on Frame TR's are an interesting implementation of automotive evolution.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, maybe "intelligent design"?

(Sorry, don't want to start anything - just couldn't resist!)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif Mickey

OP
T

TR3Mod

Freshman Member
You are correct- TR3 windshield is not flat. I will be running widened 'Brooklin' wind screens, but also want to be able to put my widened soft-top up in rainy weather. I've started doing an informal 'survey' of likely windshields that may work. I know that a windshield can be cut down, so it's a matter of finding the right curve that is also wide enough. I may haver found it. Toyota Landcruiser BJ70 or 71 series. Who'd have thunk it?

TR3Mod

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Being that the TR3 windshield ISN'T flat as has been pointed out, then there is more of a problem in trying to fit a windscreen to the wider body. On the TR6+6 project, several windshield options were looked at. One was of course to find an appropriate piece of glass from another vehicle that would work. That could be like finding a needle in a haystack. Option two was to have one made to spec. That can be done, but the cost is pretty high. I believe we were quoted about $2500 for the TR6+6. Option number three is probably the one we'll go with. It involves the cutting of two windshields and having them joined in the middle. The guy who does this said that the seam will have some distortion at the join, but it won't stick out like a sore thumb. I told the guys when we were discussing the windscreen, that aero screens were the easiest way to proceed, but I got shot down. Jeez, before I started the resto, I drove the TR3 all over with just the aeros on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

swift6

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, maybe "intelligent design"?

(Sorry, don't want to start anything - just couldn't resist!)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif Mickey

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif How very current event of you Mickey! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

No worries... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif