• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Tire options tr4a 60 spoke wheels 4.5 inch wide

Richard_Brown

I read and read and searched google several times and thought I would ask here as well. I know that its possible to still find soem off brand 165 15's but I have heard a slight larger tire will work fine as long as its not too wide.

what modern size will work well and look correct?
I think on a 5 inch wide wheel some people were going with 205's

what tire do you use ? brand and size?

thank you

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
For 4.5" rims I'd stick with 165's - 205s sound way too wide in my opinion. I've put 195s on 5.5 inch alloys, and even those tires stick out a little.

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Richard I put some 185-60's on your rim and not a bad fit, and fills the wheel well up.
I took the time to get a few results in Seattle.

https://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/searchTiresBySize.do?r=WASINT|c|Seattle&cs=185&ar=60&rd=15

Wayne

OP
R

Richard_Brown

trrdster2000 said:
Richard I put some 185-60's on your rim and not a bad fit, and fills the wheel well up.
I took the time to get a few results in Seattle.

https://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/searchTiresBySize.do?r=WASINT|c|Seattle&cs=185&ar=60&rd=15

Wayne

Thanks Wayne, I was thinking this might be the best option to get into a better tire.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Richard, if you are an employee of the lazy "B". You get a discount at the Discount Tire

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Gents,

Personally I would stick with 165/80-15 for purposes of original handling. Both Vredestein and Nexen make tires in this size. The 185s noted above would be good too.

Having said that, I've been riding on 205/70-15s installed by the PO 10 years ago. Yes, on 4.5 inch 60 spoke wire wheels. I know this is not recommended but have had no issues at all. If I have time tonight I will try to post pics.

But I absolutely plan to replace with 165s when it is time.
Bob

OP
R

Richard_Brown

RJS said:
Gents,

Personally I would stick with 165/80-15 for purposes of original handling. Both Vredestein and Nexen make tires in this size. The 185s noted above would be good too.

Having said that, I've been riding on 205/70-15s installed by the PO 10 years ago. Yes, on 4.5 inch 60 spoke wire wheels. I know this is not recommended but have had no issues at all. If I have time tonight I will try to post pics.

But I absolutely plan to replace with 165s when it is time.
Bob

thanks Bob, would be interested in seeing what those look like just to know how they fit the wheel well and look.
thank you

60TR3A

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have 5.5"-width Minilite replica wheels on my TR3A and 195/SR65/15 tires. I have an option to buy some used tires described as "165/15". Does anyone know if I can replace my existing Sumitomo tires with these period-correct, old tires w/o issues?

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Since most people go to the wider alloys (among other reasons) to be able to mount wider tires I have no idea how narrow a tire you can safely use.

As for buying used tires -- you will want to check the date of manufacture on them to see how many years they have left (irrespective of wear).

BTW - I don't think 165/15 is 'period correct' for a TR3A... just the closest thing in modern sizing to what would have been on there 'back in the day'.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Although Piggott doesn't mention it, I believe late (some time after 1959) TR3A were available with 165/15 Michelin X radials.

Attachments

• 25436.jpg
    25436.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 216

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Richard_Brown said:
interesting, new search brought these up around $50 a tire for 165 15s
https://www.vulcantire.com/cgi-bin/tiresearch.cgi
That link didn't show any tires for me, so I'm not sure which ones you are talking about. But all the 165-15s I found on that site show "out of stock - no longer available".

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
61TR3A said:
I have 5.5"-width Minilite replica wheels on my TR3A and 195/SR65/15 tires. I have an option to buy some used tires described as "165/15". Does anyone know if I can replace my existing Sumitomo tires with these period-correct, old tires w/o issues?
Chart at https://www.turbinecar.com/tires.htm
says the width would be OK.

However, I wouldn't even consider putting on "old" tires! Even if they have never been used, the carcass (the inner part of the tire that holds it together) gets old with time, and can fail suddenly. On one of my Stags, the LR tire failed on the way home from the sellers house, and the belts not only flayed all the paint off the fender, but took away part of the fender itself!

Opinions vary on how old is "safe", but all the authorities (AFAIK) agree that 11 years is too old.

60TR3A

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
What do people with classic cars have on their cars if not old tires? I drive the car maybe up to 40 MPH, mostly 30 - 35, and rarely up to 55, but only to drive to the mechanic. As it is, my tires were probably put on the car circa 2000, so they are already 11 years old. Is everyone suggesting that I get rid of those tires and buy new? I can actually buy brand new Michelin XZX tires but at a hefty $189 each + freight.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
61TR3A said:
...they are already 11 years old. Is everyone suggesting that I get rid of those tires and buy new?...

Don't know about everyone, but that is exactly what I think. I could bore for England with stories of too-old tires failing at awkward moments causing (in some cases) major damage.

61TR3A said:
... I can actually buy brand new Michelin XZX tires but at a hefty $189 each + freight.

Fortunately there are less pricey alternatives. All the more practical if you are not doing high-speed touring. Even then they can be fine -- I drove 1000+ miles in a couple of days, often cruising 70+, on the low-priced Nexens.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
61TR3A said:
What do people with classic cars have on their cars if not old tires?
Personally, I use new tires :laugh:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] I drive the car maybe up to 40 MPH, mostly 30 - 35, and rarely up to 55, but only to drive to the mechanic. [/QUOTE]
That probably does give you some leeway, as tires don't get nearly as hot at 55 as they do at the 75 or so that I usually drive. But it still seems like a risk to me. And I was only driving 55-60 when the tire on the Sports 6 let go (although it was probably a lot more than 10 years old).

swift6

Yoda
Part of the cost of classic car ownership. If you want it to look original and be safe to drive. Less expensive tires are available if your more interested in driving the car for any real distance or at any real speed. Ninety-nine percent of the public would never know the difference.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
DanB said:
Diameter of 165 radials is actually less than the original bias ply tires.
Unless of course the car came new with the optional 165 radials.