• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tire Options

Frameman 1949

Freshman Member
Country flag
I’ve found out that Dunlop has stopped making tires for the Big Healey. I’m looking for tires for an 1957 100-6 BN4L.

What manufacturer of tires should be selected that will keep the look as original as possible and provide proper handling characteristics?

Regards
Roger

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Roger, I believe a lot of information and opinions have been written here on this subject. You should start by searching the archives, and decide what your priority is the for your BN4's new tires:

Most original look?
Most original performance?
Best handling?
Best cost?
Best longevity?

OP
Frameman 1949

Frameman 1949

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thank you Reid. In a world where “google it” is the go to, I’m amazed that not every one gets it.
I suppose I should get flamed for not “googling it”. Instead I took the easy way to research the topic. i stand corrected. Please forgive my transgression.

Jack T

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I’ve found out that Dunlop has stopped making tires for the Big Healey. I’m looking for tires for an 1957 100-6 BN4L.

What manufacturer of tires should be selected that will keep the look as original as possible and provide proper handling characteristics?

Regards
Roger
Longstone Tyre in the UK has a lot of information on their webpage: > Classic Tyres - Vintage Tyres | Longstone Tyres <

And even with shipping to the states, their prices are usually competitive.

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Roger, I apologize for the rather snarky response. We all should be welcoming to members here and I should watch how I respond. This group will give you great guidance on any question. I run Verdersteins 165-80-15 on my BT 7 and am very happy with them. I did buy them mounted on new 60 spoke wheels from Allen Hendrix and he did his magic with them. That is well worth the money.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Roger--

Unless you are planning to do Concours stuff you really should consider varying from the original size. To me a taller tire looks superior and better fills the wheel openings plus they will give a tad more ground clearance, though they may throw the speedo off a bit. I use Michelin XAS 180-15's and love them.

OP
Frameman 1949

Frameman 1949

Freshman Member
Country flag
Roger, I apologize for the rather snarky response. We all should be welcoming to members here and I should watch how I respond. This group will give you great guidance on any question. I run Verdersteins 165-80-15 on my BT 7 and am very happy with them. I did buy them mounted on new 60 spoke wheels from Allen Hendrix and he did his magic with them. That is well worth the money.

OP
Frameman 1949

Frameman 1949

Freshman Member
Country flag
Good morning all,
I appreciate your acceptance of my apology.
I really appreciate your willingness to offer advice regarding my original post. I realize that the choice of tires is very subjective and once made is semi permanent since this car won’t be driven much.
That’s why I sought out the responses that I received.
Thanks again
Roger

OP
Frameman 1949

Frameman 1949

Freshman Member
Country flag
Roger--

Unless you are planning to do Concours stuff you really should consider varying from the original size. To me a taller tire looks superior and better fills the wheel openings plus they will give a tad more ground clearance, though they may throw the speedo off a bit. I use Michelin XAS 180-15's and love them.

OP
Frameman 1949

Frameman 1949

Freshman Member
Country flag
Michael,
Thanks for your advice. I do have a question regarding the larger tires. Do you experience any rubbing issues during turns?
Regards
Roger

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Michael,
Thanks for your advice. I do have a question regarding the larger tires. Do you experience any rubbing issues during turns?
Regards
Roger
Nope, no rubbing here.

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
We're currently running Vredestein Sprint Classic 185/70 HR15 80H tyres on 5.5 inch wide 72 spoke wheels. They were provided by a shop that worked on ours and other Healeys and was also the Vredestein distributor. We've added trunnion bearings and camber/caster adjustable top plates which would presumably have an impact on handling as well as a slightly smaller Moto Lita wheel, which will impact effort. Ours is a 1962 Mk II, and we have not had any problems with clearance or rubbing. The distributor lists them for $ 240 Cdn. ($ 176 US; dunno if that would be recommended retail including install etc., or the price to pick them up at the door). We were at the Van Dusen All British Field Meet in Vancouver a week ago, and one of the owners was very enthusiastic about the Michelin XAS tyres, so I'll want to look at them.
I use Miata.net to calculate and compare tire sizes; anyone else got favourites?
I checked in at the local Canadian Tire store but they don't carry 'our' sizes. The young chap suggested 195/65 15 as a size that would match the circumference closely and that they have in stock; however, I'd want to look a tire calculator for widths as well as checking recommended wheel widths.
First, I gotta find and decipher the date of manufacture and determine how soon it's replacement time. Wear ratings aren't a major concern, as we tend to age out rather than wear out. And I don't have the skills nor knowledge to determine if Brand A is better riding or handling or braking than B. Darboard time! Later, Doug

OP
Frameman 1949

Frameman 1949

Freshman Member
Country flag
I decided to go with the Michelin XAS tires so I will update you after some seat time.
Thank you for your response
Regards
Roger

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hope you like them, Frameman.

It's interesting that asymmetric tires developed to solve handling and stability problems on cars quite dissimilar to ours (Citroen ID's and DS's) and which were also OE on BMW's 2500 to 3500 sedans work so well on our rather archaic solid rear axle Healeys.

I switched from XzX's to 180R XAS when they first came out and the improvement in handling, ride and steering both in wet and dry was immediately noticeable. Their profile and height compliment and improve our cars' appearance.