• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

14 Inch Wheels

Jayrz

Jedi Trainee
Anyone ever installed 14s on their Spridget? Did it look alright?
I have this new set of Minotaurs in 13X5 but not much luck finding real performance (street) tires for them.

Jay

BWillis

Jedi Knight
I havent seen 14" wheels on a spridget but I would imagine you would just have to go lower profile on the tire. It doesnt sound like it would give you many more options.

If you decide to part with the minotaurs let me know, I may be interested....

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
I went with 13X5.5 Superlites from Hap with 185/70R13 Kumhos. It will be a while before I put it on the street to know for sure if the tire decision was right...I'm sure on the wheels. However, the Kumhos are cheap enough that if they don't work out, I'm not out of a lot...and if they do, all the better. I believe the 5" width rims you have would support 165 widths at least. Why not try out a set and see if they work out?

Ray

Bugeye58

Yoda
Ray, I've got a '72 with 175-70 Sumitomos' on the 5" Minators, and they work great. The '65 has the same wheels with BFG Touring T/A's on it, and I think the Sumitomos' are better tires. I still threaten to toss on a set of Hoosier Street TD's just for fun, but they're too expensive to burn up in a weekend! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
Jay, check out Tire Rack.
https://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyCom...re1=yes&place=0

37 bucks each.

Jeff

OP
Jayrz

Jayrz

Jedi Trainee
So what about a 175-60, in the Nexen N2000?

Anyone try these?

The other tires whose size I like is the 165-65/13 but I've
only found it in the Bridgestone Potenza re92 and haven't read anything good about that tire.

OP
Jayrz

Jayrz

Jedi Trainee
Yeah it certainly looks like a racing rain doesn't it?

Who buys "rain" tires for their street car? well maybe if you lived in Seattle I could see it perhaps.

I wasn't able to find their specs on their 175-60, you think it may bee too short?

Jay

OP
Jayrz

Jayrz

Jedi Trainee
I might try them, cheap at $36 a piece so no huge loss if I hate them. Sumos in 175 70 would be the next step. i wanted a "short"-ish tire though.

Jay

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
Several yrs ago Moss's British Motoring had a couple articles on original tire sizes and modern tire sizes for most all early lbcs.(Vol 22 & 23) The original tire was 22.36" tall. The modern 185/60 14" tire is 22.74" tall. About 3/8" difference. These are industry standards and could vary brand to brand. I found a company that would build wheels with a different offset for the front and back so all the wheel is under the fender and no tire rub. I love the look, especially from the back. Yokohama ES100 are what I bought and am very happy with.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
pics?

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Modern Midget Project in Classic M.S. is using 14 x 6 Seperlite using Kuhmo Powerstar 78 175/65/R14. Wheels are from Pack Racking and the Tires are supposed to be under $40 each. There is a picture in the September 2007 issue of Classic M.S. on the newstands now.

I don't know how they fit a 14 x 6 on a SW Arch Spridget as the Pack Racing site says it wil only work on a R.W. Arch car. I went to the web site and no details are in there on the Project Car on how they got thosewheels to fit. The car looks fabulous of course and the wheels fill the wheel wells nicely. More details are promised in the next issue.

I thinkl Hap sell Superlites, maybe he can provide some additional secrets.

64rocksprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Jayrz,
I'm researching the exact same thing right now. I bought a set of mini-lite look-alikes from GB..anthracite centers, polished lip, 13x5 for my 64 (square arch).

The Nexen is interesting. It is the only 175-60 I can find also. I don't mind the look, I wonder about noise and handling.
If you're looking for low profile..Sumitomo makes a 175-50 in their HTR200 model..which looks nice and has good reviews ($44/ea at tirerack). Only thing to remember here is that the OD of that tire is like 19" vs the 22" of the 145-13 that came stock..it will effective lower (numerically higher) your gear ratio. Not being too scientific (%change in OD applied to the gear ratio)..I worked out a required gear ratio of 3.79 (vs my original 4.22) if I ran the 175-50's in order to keep everything on "par".

175-70's are much easier to come by. Sumitomo also has the HTR200 in a 175-70...and many more as folks have indicated.

Jim - I agree with you..I'm not sure how the blue blazes CM motorsports got those 6" rims on their car. I'm going to write them and ask!!
I test fit my 5" rims in the back with no tires...and got scared. Perhaps there is more room with the 1/2 elliptic springs than my 1/4's??

64rocksprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Just remembered..CM's car has a wire wheel rear axle...they shimmed the 13" tires. I wonder if they just removed the shims..or if that narrower axle somehow helped them get those 6" wheels on..?

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
64rocksprite said:
....Jim - I agree with you..I'm not sure how the blue blazes CM motorsports got those 6" rims on their car. I'm going to write them and ask!!

You can contact Carl H. and see the progress of that car ~HERE~

I ran the Sumi HTR200s about 5 or 6 years ago. They look great but wear like iron and are on the hard side for a Sprite in my view. When I threw them away (due to old age), they still had about 75% thread!

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
These are 14" x 6" rims. I tried to follow the advice given on New old brake servo, and couldn't shrink the phot past 666 KB. Help!!!

Jedi Trainee
Bridgestone Potenza 165/65 RE92's are H rated.

Look great on a 13x5 Minilite or equal.

Lee Creek runs them

Steve

OP
Jayrz

Jayrz

Jedi Trainee
So how are the RE92s?

Because I really like that size, they are available easily, and they don't pose any problems with my square arch bodywork.

I'd love to hear someone say they are a decent tire,,,,in the dry, because i don't care about rain, car has no top anyway!

Jay

64rocksprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Aero,
Thanks for the feedback on the Sumi's..Hmmm, I may try those Nexens. I think I'll order one, mount it and see how it looks/fits. At ~$40 shipped...why not?
Will post once its done if you guys are interested.